advertisement

A boring cartridge question I’ve been trying not to ask …

The AT33PTG is a great cartridge but in your case, you may prefer the AT33EV. Some people find the PTG a bit bright (I don't, BTW) whereas the 33EV is warmer and more full-bodied in comparison. Not sure why but it could be due to the different stylus tips. The PTG uses a modern Microline tip while the 33EV has an elliptical stylus. Price is well within your budget.

The other area you may want to experiment with is headshells. They can alter the sound of your cartridge.

Thank you all for your suggestions. There's so much to try to consider, and so many variables, especially VTA which can seem to involve inelegant (and potentially unpredictable) solutions such as spacers and/or various mat thicknesses.

Way back when, when I had the Micro Seiki, I treated it to the original Ortofon Concorde, which was originally a HiFi cartridge, rather than a DJ-ing thing. KAB are promoting the idea of using the current Ortofon Concorde Reloop (which is supposed to be a remake of the original Concorde body) but using the OM40 stylus. The internet waffle rates it as better than the Black because of the better stylus profile, and cheaper.

I could do that for £350. I feel as though it might be a good place to start, simple to fit, and rather nostalgic all at the same time.
What do you think ?

Last edited:
Not being familiar with your deck or tonearm I took a quick look online at the Technics, though I can find no effective mass figure for the tonearm.
I see Technics have released a couple of special additions of the 1200 and the most recent 55th Anniversary model comes supplied with a Nagoka MM, so that maybe a good place to start.

1200G and 1200/1210GR = Arm Eff Mass is 12g

1200/1210GR = Headshell Mass is 7.9g

1200G = Headshell Mass is 7.6g
VTA adjusts by rotating the arm base, combined with differing mat thicknesses you have a fair range to play with.

Headshells are varied and easy to swap, cheap to mega expensive.

Getting a cart already fitted to a headshell or buying a PnP one takes the stress away. Buying a cheap cart like a used AT95 and practicing is an option.

Some years back I was close buying a 1200G
If it wasn't for the 1200GR was available at roughly half price+

I had a lot of thinking, what cartridge?, the TT diff would buy you an expensive one indeed.
But I've always voted for deck first, Rega P6 or P8 with cheap cart vs P2 or P3 with...

Would be interested in the outcome here

Some years back I was close buying a 1200G
If it wasn't for the 1200GR was available at roughly half price+

I had a lot of thinking, what cartridge?, the TT diff would buy you an expensive one indeed.
But I've always voted for deck first, Rega P6 or P8 with cheap cart vs P2 or P3 with...

Would be interested in the outcome here

Me too ! :)
I've corrected post n°23 which had somehow got its paragraphs mixed up. It makes sense now !

I rang HiFi Gear in Hereford this morning and talked it over with them. Most of the options that have been mentioned on here came, but their strongest recommendation was the Dynavector 10x5 Mk2, which I don't think has been mentioned ? Anyone using one ?

I'm not sure how much value to place on their opinion because, although they're very helpful, they're not really into classical music and, when I went to listen to a pair of speakers, they didn't like the Quad 63s I asked to hear, which were sitting unloved on the landing outside the dem room.

I got one of these Audio Technica carts which comes pre-fitted in a headshell last year when I bought my 1200G. Just plugs in easy with no setup hassle and sounds so good I’ve kept using it instead of upgrading. I damaged the stylus recently and just bought a direct replacement - easy.

https://www.audio-technica.com/en-gb/vm540ml-h

(Just seen it’s out of stock at the moment).

I rang HiFi Gear in Hereford this morning and talked it over with them. Most of the options that have been mentioned on here came, but their strongest recommendation was the Dynavector 10x5 Mk2, which I don't think has been mentioned ? Anyone using one ?

I'm not sure how much value to place on their opinion because, although they're very helpful, they're not really into classical music and, when I went to listen to a pair of speakers, they didn't like the Quad 63s I asked to hear, which were sitting unloved on the landing outside the dem room.
I've the previous 10x5 Mk1 (had all them right back to when they were called Ultimo 10x) I don't listen to Classical so take this with a pinch of salt - until I got the AT33PTG/II instead of the 10x5 Mk2 the 10x range was my fave cart around £500. The AT is better in all areas and more refined so may suit Classical better than Rock, for me if you can get one at a lot less that the £600 RRP the AT PTG is the cart to go for, you already have a MC Phone Stage in the Primare so good to go out of the box.

AT carts seem in short supply - COVID and maybe Brexit I expect, can't see them replacing all the older carts at present.

I would second the Grado recommendation, considering the OPs remarks about massed strings, and also suggest an AT33EV loaded at no higher than 100 Ohms. The AT and the Grado are very different, but both relatively well balanced: the Grado rich but gutsy, the AT dynamic and open but (with the EV) still smooth enough not to offend. I can't comment on the old EV vs PTG debate, but from what I've read, I suspect the EV would be the more cautious choice considering the OPs sound preferences.

If your main musical tastes are classical the best choice would have been a Len Gregory Musicmaker as he was a massive classical fan and the tonality is stunning. However you might do well with a Benz Micro Ace.

Ortofon quintet bronze. A smooth full bodied sound, ideal for classical music. And a bloody great cart in its own right as well.

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread. You've been very generous with your knowledge and advice. Just a quick update. Rather embarrassingly, I found a "spare" Goldring 1042 I'd forgotten all about sitting on the odds-and-sods shelf. As it was getting the 1042 off the Gyro that worried me rather more than fitting it to the Technics headshell, this was a bit of a godsend.

Anyway, to cut the waffle, I've collected the 1200G and installed it this morning, including fitting the Goldring. The stylus on the "found" cartridge was shot, so I've swapped it with the one that was on the Gyro.

I'm rather happy. Everything sounds very good indeed. I'm just listening to the old DG Geza Anda version of Mozart's piano concerto n°21, K467. It's fluid, has drive and the strings don't bite or set your teeth on edge. Detail is very good, too. Dire Straits' "Telegraph Road" was a great listen as well.

I value all the advice on cartridges. I'm very likely in the next few months to buy another headshell and maybe one of the MC cartridge recommendations you've made; perhaps the AT33PTG/II.

One last question. Has anyone dealt with Juno Records ? They've got a replacement stylus for the Goldring 1042 at under £170, which is £50 cheaper than the best price I've seen elsewhere, and £70 cheaper than the typical price.
https://www.juno.co.uk/products/goldring-d42-replacement-stylus-for-1042-cartridge/661186-01/

It seems rather tood good to be true.

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread. You've been very generous with your knowledge and advice. Just a quick update. Rather embarrassingly, I found a "spare" Goldring 1042 I'd forgotten all about sitting on the odds-and-sods shelf. As it was getting the 1042 off the Gyro that worried me rather more than fitting it to the Technics headshell, this was a bit of a godsend.

Anyway, to cut the waffle, I've collected the 1200G and installed it this morning, including fitting the Goldring. The stylus on the "found" cartridge was shot, so I've swapped it with the one that was on the Gyro.

I'm rather happy. Everything sounds very good indeed. I'm just listening to the old DG Geza Anda version of Mozart's piano concerto n°21, K467. It's fluid, has drive and the strings don't bite or set your teeth on edge. Detail is very good, too. Dire Straits' "Telegraph Road" was a great listen as well.

I value all the advice on cartridges. I'm very likely in the next few months to buy another headshell and maybe one of the MC cartridge recommendations you've made; perhaps the AT33PTG/II.

One last question. Has anyone dealt with Juno Records ? They've got a replacement stylus for the Goldring 1042 at under £170, which is £50 cheaper than the best price I've seen elsewhere, and £70 cheaper than the typical price.
https://www.juno.co.uk/products/goldring-d42-replacement-stylus-for-1042-cartridge/661186-01/

It seems rather tood good to be true.
Via eBay I have purchased LPs and some ISOAcoustic stuff from Juno no issues - decent prices
- June and November last year

This was the address in Paypal

I've ordered some Technics 1200mk2 spare parts (when they were still available) from them before. They were priced very reasonably, probably at original list price, for out-of-production items. No issues with goods or transaction in my case.

advertisement

Back