advertisement

Elsdon Wonfor Audio LS-40 speaker cables

Had a brief email convo with him a few days ago.... His wife’s poorly ATM and is looking after her for this week and last. Said things will begin shipping again end of this week.

Absolutely, I have an order pending. Over my 30 year hifi journey it has been certain cables that have given me the biggest single wow factor. The LS40 seem to extract so much more information for the listener to take in. I don't know how but I'm glad they do what they do. If I do update the front end of my system I doubt the change in sound quality will be anywhere near as profound as changing speaker cable has been and certainly not as cost effective.

Absolutely, I have an order pending. Over my 30 year hifi journey it has been certain cables that have given me the biggest single wow factor. The LS40 seem to extract so much more information for the listener to take in. I don't know how but I'm glad they do what they do. If I do update the front end of my system I doubt the change in sound quality will be anywhere near as profound as changing speaker cable has been and certainly not as cost effective.

So is it 40s or 80s ?

LS 40 for me. I have stand mount speakers so I think the weight of the 80s would be too much, a bit over my budget too. I wasn't really looking for new cables but the trial proved to me I needed to change.

What were you using before ? Scrap that it's was TQ silver ii

Last edited:
Quick question- I’ll be demoing the ls40 cables shortly and usually bi wire or use jumper cables with my speakers. As bi wiring is out of the question on demo, are there any jumpers available?

I received the demo set yesterday and managed to have a couple of hours listening.
Existing set up: Hegel H390 amp into KEF Ref 11s via Witchhat Phantom cables.
Initial impressions: two things - the clarity improvement, and mid-range changes.
Clarity may be the wrong word - perhaps soundstage would be better - instruments/sounds seem to have more 'space' around them.
This seems particularly true in the mid frequency ranges. Vocals in particular seem to be clearer, with less of a 'nasal' quality on the recordings I have tried.
Whilst listening for changes in sound quality I have found it impossible not be moved by the sheer musicality of the sound.
More listening required...

Quick question- I’ll be demoing the ls40 cables shortly and usually bi wire or use jumper cables with my speakers. As bi wiring is out of the question on demo, are there any jumpers available?

EWA make LS40 jumpers but they are not cheap (£300) . I have LS25 jumpers and Alan told me they make very little difference to the sound quality if you have LS40 speaker cables. I will be selling my (long) LS25 jumpers soon as I’ve ordered LS40 jumpers

PM me if interested

Hi everyone,

Sorry for disappearing like to that! All is well now, and catching up.

Today shipping a longer USB cable to Raj, a power amp and power cable to Steve, another amp to the US and LS-80 to Hong Kong. Should be caught up by early next week. That includes ex-brickie and Muttley (sorry gents).

There are a few who want adding to the LS-40 your as well, I will get around to updating the list. Thank you for your patience!

Jump links really shouldn't make a difference, being so short. Everyone knows that, including myself. Yet somehow...

I don't actually have any links make up right now, and I think you'll find they are a 'cherry on top' type of thing, so I wouldn't worry too much about it for demo purposes. If you do find yourself ordering a set of cables later, jump links are a third off with loudspeaker cable (because LS-25/40 can't be configured for bi-wiring).

Latest names added. More welcome!

If anyone wants to try the MCS-5 power cable, IC-25 interconnect (RCA or XLR), EWA USB (90CM), I can arrange that as well.

My only reticence is that the loudspeaker cables are by far - by orders of magnitude - the most dramatic improvement that cables will show. Interconnect, power cables etc. can make profound refinements in the right systems, but it's nothing like as 'in your face' as speaker cables. Just trying to manage expectations a little.

17 February 2021 Edit:

Ze List:

@Amber Audio
@Cereal Killer
@Yivez
@Dan K
@Muttley2
@Chris Tarling
@Vaibhav
@Bettisdad
@OldSkool
@Discopants
@Rajive Aggarwal
@justpassing

A few dropped out over the holidays and have been reinserted above, along with new faces and procrastinators. ;)

This trial/tour thingy is open to all, no need to have anything more than a passing interest in hifi and love for music. So long as you are an upstanding member of pfm (assuming we have such people)...

Simple rules:

1. Don't pinch the cable.

2. Be honest: post impressions/reviews (I would love to use some on https://ABCaudio.biz eventually). And don't pinch the cable.

3. Cover postage costs, preferably tracked. I can help with this if asked (UPS - usually a tenner or so).

4. Don't pinch the cable.

Last edited:
Hi Alan, good to see you back and thanks for updating the list.
If anyone wants to try the MCS-5 power cable, IC-25 interconnect (RCA or XLR), EWA USB (90CM), I can arrange that as well.
Yes please to all three if you would be willing to. Specifically, any chance I could try:
XLR balanced interconnect reasonably long length - say 3m for a trial. This is from my pre-processor to my power amp.
Power cable ideally 2m for a trail as this gives flexibility to test with various sources and power amps. I currently have a dedicated power spur and am using 15A plugs (old-style round pin), but 13A UK norm is fine for trial.
USB from my media server to pre-processor Type A to B - the 90cm you mention would be fine

Keep well and I promise not to pinch any of the loaned kit!

Just to add - I am a believer in the impact of cables of audio performance but retain some sceptisism that spending multi-thousand pounds on a 2m length of copper makes sense. I currently use a combination of purchased and DIY cables - mostly purchased digital and DIY analogue, speaker and power. With the lockdown I have spent more time with my audio system and have made a lot of improvements in recent years, including room-treatments, dedicated spurs, connectivity, components, placement and believe I have a pretty good setup going. I will happily go into details when I am ready to provide feedback.

Hi everyone,

Sorry for disappearing like to that! All is well now, and catching up.

Today shipping a longer USB cable to Raj, a power amp and power cable to Steve, another amp to the US and LS-80 to Hong Kong. Should be caught up by early next week. That includes ex-brickie and Muttley (sorry gents).

There are a few who want adding to the LS-40 your as well, I will get around to updating the list. Thank you for your patience!

No worries Alan. Good to see the business is going well. Plus payday is next week so my purchase might be good timing for that :D

I'm now intrigued by what @steveinspain has bought amp wise!

advertisement

Back