advertisement

How good is the Squeezebox Touch ?

I also have a Squeezebox Duet kicking around and I really like using the Duet controller on the SB Touch simply for the remote control volume function without the need to keep unlocking your phone! For some reason the pause button on the Duet controller does not pause the music ???

My Hi-Fi is not line of sight so r/c convenience won't work for me - however the Duet controller is such an easy alternative and better than using the iPhone for just touching the volume up and down quickly when someone is trying to talk to me in the house - or the home telephone goes off etc.

If you are,ahem, concerned about the SBT power supply try a 5v battery power tank.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FL6X91T/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
Thank you and others for this suggestion os using battery power which I followed.

Initially on switching over to battery I was a little disappointed as it sounded slightly rougher without quite the effortless smooth musical delivery I had grown used to. I've persisted over serveral days during which the powerpack has been recharged a few times. During this time I've periodically compared the sound against that using mains based power supply that came with it. I am surprised that to my ears in my system the battery pack is now sounding different, and to my ears slightly better.

This is most evident in dense music. For example listening to dense instrumental passages in 'Lost in the Dream' by The War on Drugs I was better able to distinguish the individual keyboard and guitar parts and follow the interplay between them without losing the overall impression; I was also better able to hear the nature of the effects on guitars etc. I played a recording of Beethoven's 6th and could better place and recognise the various sections of the orchestra. On these and other recordings the battery power seemed to be associated with being ever so slightly better able to spatially locate vocals and musical parts.

I don't want to give the impression that these were massive 'night and day' changes as the sound was already very agreeeable using the provided mains adaptor. I also recogsnise that there may be an element of projection at play here. Yet though this may not be everybody's cup of tea, I found these subtly heightened insights into the music joyous and well worth the small expense and effort.

I will be doing much more listening and am more keen than ever to experiment with using the SB Touch with some different DACs.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
When I first used the Qutest expectation bias set in, it was a positive difference. When I set up the A-B comparision with adjusted levels I could not distinguish any differences apart from the steepest filter. When I returned the Qutest to the dealer and set up my old USB DAC again I experienced it sounded better than before. Hocus-pocus-filiocus.
Sadly I am not capable of noticing any differences, but maybe that is good, because it saved me a grand.

When I first used the Qutest expectation bias set in, it was a positive difference. When I set up the A-B comparision with adjusted levels I could not distinguish any differences apart from the steepest filter. When I returned the Qutest to the dealer and set up my old USB DAC again I experienced it sounded better than before. Hocus-pocus-filiocus.
Sadly I am not capable of noticing any differences, but maybe that is good, because it saved me a grand.
Zombie by name lol

The touch is a fantastic little box and I used it for years with various dacs, amps and speakers. But it was replaced by the much superior Bluesound Node 2i.
Similar quality in my book but the Touch wins on it’s still comprehensive local LMS server, even now, after all these years.and A well fettled Pi also competes easily.

Read through this thread yesterday and was intrigued by the comments for and against using SBT with a linear power supply. I started looking into making one and saw the SBTs power supply is rated at 3 amps. Which starts to ramp the cost of a linear supply in terms of rating of transformer, size of heatsinks etc. So this afternoon I put it on a bench power supply just to check. I was pleased to see that in reality it draws about 0.6 Amps maximum. So once I've had my ears syringed and can hear the difference I will have a listen using the Bench supply and see if its worth making a more reasonably rated power supply. Should only cost about £70-£80 at that power level.

Read through this thread yesterday and was intrigued by the comments for and against using SBT with a linear power supply. I started looking into making one and saw the SBTs power supply is rated at 3 amps. Which starts to ramp the cost of a linear supply in terms of rating of transformer, size of heatsinks etc. So this afternoon I put it on a bench power supply just to check. I was pleased to see that in reality it draws about 0.6 Amps maximum. So once I've had my ears syringed and can hear the difference I will have a listen using the Bench supply and see if its worth making a more reasonably rated power supply. Should only cost about £70-£80 at that power level.

Tell me how you get on - that will be interesting.

>in reality it draws about 0.6 Amps maximum
Probably headroom for the USB, headphone amp, busy processor, very bright screen etc.

Bought a SH Micromega MyDAC to try with my SB Touch. Sounding very nice and lively at th emomen on Kingdom of Rust (Doves) but it isn't yet able to work via USB. I have installed the EDO (thanks to those mentioning this further back) and the USB worked perfectly well into a Topping E30 I tried for a week or so.
Any suggestions as to what is needed for it to work with USB?

Bought a SH Micromega MyDAC to try with my SB Touch. Sounding very nice and lively at th emomen on Kingdom of Rust (Doves) but it isn't yet able to work via USB. I have installed the EDO (thanks to those mentioning this further back) and the USB worked perfectly well into a Topping E30 I tried for a week or so.
Any suggestions as to what is needed for it to work with USB?

I can check this out later todayand report back, but try a hard reset of the Touch first (just pull the power plug, wait for a few seconds and repower).

ronnie

I've got the EDO software running on my Touch but have never used the USB out - good luck with the Micromega DAC and USB to the SBT - I will be watching...

advertisement

Back