advertisement

Ziggy
Transformer
The Slider
Doremi Fasol Latido

I was six so this is all retrospective
Interestingly enough they're not just my top 5 (4) from '72 they're all in my faves of all time

Think I'd have to have Exile on Main St. in any five from 1972. Possibly also Neil Young - Harvest.

But as above, all with hindsight, I was 7 at the time! Limited listening opportunities on my parents "radiogram"...

Some great ones already that I’d have picked, but I’ll add:

Miles Davis On The Corner
Herbie Hancock Crossings
Donald Byrd Ethiopian Knights
Chick Corea Return To Forever
Neu! Neu!
Roxy Music Roxy Music
Can Ege Bam Yasi
Tangerine Dream Zeit
Nick Drake Pink Moon
Santana Caravansari
Joni Mitchell For The Roses
Stevie Wonder Talking Book

Plus

Can’t Buy a Thrill
St Dominic’s Preview
Thick As a Brick
Clear Spot
Something/Anything

I think I was only 15 at the start but somehow had advanced to 16 by the end. The first four were bought on or close to release day, Todd was discovered later.

I was only 0.5 so not very qualified to comment, but I would add Let's Stay Together by Al Green.

Surely the best album title has to go to 'Jesus Was a Capricorn' by Kris Kristofferson.

Another six year old in '72 so again retrospective.
A damn good year for some stonking albums.
Two from Deep Purple, Machine Head and Made In Japan.
Yes, Close To The Edge.
Another vote for Neil Young's, Harvest.
Genesis, Foxtrot.
Uriah Heep, Demons And Wizards.
Etc.
Crikey, might be possible to do a list of fifty!

Eagles, eponymous!!!!
Blue Oyster Cult, eponymous.

Manassas - Stephen Stills
Eagles 1st Album
Transformer - Lou Reed
Pink Moon - Nick Drake
America 1st album
Windmills - Rick Roberts
Can’t buy a thrill - Steely Dan

Regards,

Martin

Some great choices above, among them some of my favourites like Neu, Manassas, Nick Drake and Can – all albums I was listening to in 1972. To those I would add:

Steve Miller Band ‎– Recall The Beginning...A Journey From Eden (in some ways one of his finest albums and yet overlooked by many fans of Steve Miller which is odd).

Plainsong ‎– In Search Of Amelia Earhart (the much underappreciated Ian Matthews teams up officially with Andy Roberts to create a really top class album which again slipped under the radar of many).

1972 - the year I took my O levels.

If I can believe the dates in Roon

Carly Simon - No Secrets
Yes - Fragile
Steeleye Span - Below the Salt
Clifford T Ward - Singer Songwriter
Strawbs - Grave New World

The albums by Joni and Yes mentioned in earlier posts.

Carly Simon - No Secrets
I love that album and it reminds me of a journey in a friend’s 1275 Mini with Ed Hollis telling us about a particularly memorable ‘trip’ he had taken in a Mini, his favourite car as it turned out. No cassette player in the car, just a radio and as we were driving out of London on the M4 they played the single, You're So Vain, the first time any of us had heard it.

Last edited:
2nd year student then so in addition to many of the above:
Little Feat - Sailin’ Shoes
Grateful Dead - Europe 72
Jefferson Airplane - Long John Silver
Amon Duul II - Carnival in Babylon
Blue Oyster Cult - Blue Oyster Cult.

Tastes change and I’m not sure I’d listen to any of those now apart from Sailin’ Shoes!

Plainsong ‎– In Search Of Amelia Earhart (the much underappreciated Ian Matthews teams up officially with Andy Roberts to create a really top class album which again slipped under the radar of many).
Wonderful album! The double CD is worth getting for the extras, including Andy Roberts' song "All Around My Grandmother's Floor" an absolute classic of English psychedelic folk.

The Edgar Winter Group - They Only Come Out at Night
The Sensational Alex Harvey Band - Framed
The Allman Brothers Band - Eat A Peach
Man - Be Good To Yourself At Least Once A Day
The Pink Fairies - What a Bunch of Sweeties

As usual, there's going to be loads more, some of which, have already been mentioned.

Absolutely brilliant thread, and a key year as far as my musical sensibilities go. Entering the year as a 13-year-old, this is the year that took me from the clutches of the likes of T. Rex and Slade and took me towards a more contemporary direction.

Following the influential guidance of an elder-Sisters boyfriend, acquired that very year were:

• Trilogy - Emerson lake & Palmer
  • Phantasmagoria - Curved Air
  • Who Will Save The World - The Groundhogs
  • Octopus - Gentle Giant
  • Argus - Wishbone Ash

All of which are still with me.

And this is the way things generally continued until the life-changing moment when I first heard Talking Heads '77, and a whole new vista opened up. I guess that's another story.

Added to the vast lists already submitted:

Argent - All Together Now
Black Sabbath - Volume 4
Focus - Focus 3
Matching Mole - Matching Mole
Status Quo - Piledriver
Neil Young - Harvest

And finally from the best all-female band ever...Fanny - Fanny Hill

Another 6 year old so retrospective plus some older brother influence

Jackson Browne -1st
Deep Purple - Made in Japan
Santana - Caravanserai