advertisement

System Pics 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying out my new KEF LS50 this evening. Straight away there’s less sparkle and air than the Falcons but they still have high resolution.
I find that a lot of 'sparkle and air' in many systems is just a symptom of a tipped up frequency response, maybe voiced to make things sound more impressive. I'm not accusing the Falcons of this, but for a while I chased 'sparkle and air', without it occurring to me that it's often very artificial. It's one of the things I had to 'let go' when I recently updated my system, realising that real life doesn't have 'sparkle and air' and so chasing it in one's system is a surrealistic goal....

But equally you don't want things to be dull and lifeless either :)

NAS Hyperspace

TT.jpg

@Nagraboy - You are not replacing the falcons with the LS50's are you?

Absolutely not! Just grabbed the LS50 at a good price so I could see what the fuss was about. I’ve got a movies room in a spare bedroom so they’ll likely end up in there.

One thing I’ve noticed is the rear port bungs make a huge difference. When they’re in, the bass is lighter than the Falcons but when they’re removed the bass is almost overwhelming - and this is with the speakers 1.15m into the room. The bungs have a removable foam centre section as a good compromise between the two extremes.

I heard LS50s when I bought my LP12 since they were in that person’s system. They sounded so quiet and lifeless — but I don’t think he was giving them enough amplification either. It would be nice to hear them properly set up — on stands, like yours. After hearing his set-up, and all the money he had put into the TT, I just didn’t understand it. I was so glad to be back listening to my set-up.

I heard LS50s when I bought my LP12 since they were in that person’s system. They sounded so quiet and lifeless — but I don’t think he was giving them enough amplification either. It would be nice to hear them properly set up — on stands, like yours. After hearing his set-up, and all the money he had put into the TT, I just didn’t understand it. I was so glad to be back listening to my set-up.

I remember years ago listening to a dem in a dedicated room. The rep had set up mid to upper range Naim gear. It sounded dreadful. This was before dsp was common. The room sucked every ounce of life out of every recording. Like you I was glad to get back home to my modest system.

Just interested to know what made you want to replace a Stabi Ref and a 4point?

I'd had the Kuzma for 3 years and realised I'd just stopped listening to records. It just sounded boring. I'd play a record once a month, think it sounded quite nice, and then go back to listening to digital the rest of the time. It was worse after I got the 4 Point, which is a very dull sounding arm. The best the Stabi Ref had sounded was with the cheaper Kuzma arms, my first PU7 (stupidly sold to buy the 4 Point) and even an Alphason,which sounded great on the Kuzma. I sold the 4 Point and bought another PU7, which was an improvement. But the Rega P8 I had next to it sounded faster, more dynamic, more fun and more colourful, so I new the Kuzma had to go.

I decided to try something different, and move away from the usual "high end" turntables. I was interested in an idler, but didn't have the skills or patience to restore a Garrard or Thorens. I also didn't want something huge and immovable. The PTP turntables were getting great reviews - particularly for being dynamic, fun and musical - were reasonably priced and seemed well-built. I took a punt and ordered one, with the upgraded bearing and electronic power supply. After some experimentation with mats (I must have been through 20 of the things over the last couple of months), I settled on a Collaro Tempest, and the PTP is sounding fantastic - everything I was looking for.

Over the last decade or two I have owned a couple of LP12s all the way up to the top spec Radikal, Keel, Ekos SE, an Orbe/SME IV, an Ace Spacedeck with the SME and a Moerch DP6, an AMG Viella, a bunch of Regas including the RP8, RP10, P8 and P10, and until recently the Kuzma Stabi Ref and 4 Point. The PTP beats them all. It sounds huge, colourful, dynamic and fun. There is no lack of detail, and tonally it is perfect. Bass is the deepest I have heard from a turntable and there is an intensity of sound and "liveness" that I have not previously heard from any source. I have not stopped playing records since I got it, and now the situation is reversed. I play something digital briefly, but can't wait to get back to playing records.

This is an interesting take on the higher end Kuzma gear not read anything like that before. I have the baby kuz with the stogi (not s) arm and ortofon cadenza bronze and it will never leave this household.

Absolutely not! Just grabbed the LS50 at a good price so I could see what the fuss was about. I’ve got a movies room in a spare bedroom so they’ll likely end up in there.

One thing I’ve noticed is the rear port bungs make a huge difference. When they’re in, the bass is lighter than the Falcons but when they’re removed the bass is almost overwhelming - and this is with the speakers 1.15m into the room. The bungs have a removable foam centre section as a good compromise between the two extremes.

Thank God for that.:D

This is an interesting take on the higher end Kuzma gear not read anything like that before. I have the baby kuz with the stogi (not s) arm and ortofon cadenza bronze and it will never leave this household.
I started with the Stabi S and a Stogi reference as well, and was very happy with it for quite a while. The upgrade to the Stabi Ref brought some improvements in hifi terms but also lost something compared to the Stabi S, which is a very well balanced turntable.

That’s a thoughtful perspective from Ross B regarding his turntable history and where he has arrived at.

I used to own a Goldring Lenco GL75 back at the start and have fond memories of that particular table, the PTP is a Lenco based deck with a much improved spindle, actually spent some time listening to one with a Primary Control tonearm and the PTP “block like cube amplifiers” and the presentation was highly compelling: certain idler decks just possess the magic that makes listening a real pleasure.

Not over engineered, aesthetically pleasing, nor shockingly expensive.

So it seems you can revisit and revise older technology and reach or even surpass contemporary designs.

Looks the part too with the AO PU7 tonearm.

I'd had the Kuzma for 3 years and realised I'd just stopped listening to records. It just sounded boring. I'd play a record once a month, think it sounded quite nice, and then go back to listening to digital the rest of the time. It was worse after I got the 4 Point, which is a very dull sounding arm. The best the Stabi Ref had sounded was with the cheaper Kuzma arms, my first PU7 (stupidly sold to buy the 4 Point) and even an Alphason,which sounded great on the Kuzma. I sold the 4 Point and bought another PU7, which was an improvement. But the Rega P8 I had next to it sounded faster, more dynamic, more fun and more colourful, so I new the Kuzma had to go.

I decided to try something different, and move away from the usual "high end" turntables. I was interested in an idler, but didn't have the skills or patience to restore a Garrard or Thorens. I also didn't want something huge and immovable. The PTP turntables were getting great reviews - particularly for being dynamic, fun and musical - were reasonably priced and seemed well-built. I took a punt and ordered one, with the upgraded bearing and electronic power supply. After some experimentation with mats (I must have been through 20 of the things over the last couple of months), I settled on a Collaro Tempest, and the PTP is sounding fantastic - everything I was looking for.

Over the last decade or two I have owned a couple of LP12s all the way up to the top spec Radikal, Keel, Ekos SE, an Orbe/SME IV, an Ace Spacedeck with the SME and a Moerch DP6, an AMG Viella, a bunch of Regas including the RP8, RP10, P8 and P10, and until recently the Kuzma Stabi Ref and 4 Point. The PTP beats them all. It sounds huge, colourful, dynamic and fun. There is no lack of detail, and tonally it is perfect. Bass is the deepest I have heard from a turntable and there is an intensity of sound and "liveness" that I have not previously heard from any source. I have not stopped playing records since I got it, and now the situation is reversed. I play something digital briefly, but can't wait to get back to playing records.

Cannot say fairer than that Ross.:)

I'm sure you will find your new deck involving, Lenco's maybe not the most detailed (although I've never heard a PTP) but musically satisfying, or at least that is what I found when changing from Pink Triangle to a Lenco. You certainly go through your tt's Ross, not that there is anything wrong with that. I assume the P8 still gets a look in and you are enjoying that .

, but m

Interesting. I have a Stabi Ref with the 313VTA and a Shelter 5000 and think its a brilliant combo. Previously had an Oracle Delphi III / SME V and although I'm not adverse to kit swapping I just cant see myself ever parting with the Kuzma :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back