advertisement

Dominic Sandbrook 'The 80's'

Mullardman

Moderately extreme...
Watched a couple of re-run episodes of this. The more I watch this fake, the more I dislike him. Yes.. he mostly portrays a factually correct version of events. yes. he comes across as thoughtful and analytical..but he is a dyed in the wool far right apologist.

Ref:. The 'Miners Strike'. He analyses this as Nottm Miners versus 'Others', whilst completely ignoring the fact the Scargill quite deliberately went for a 'rolling ballot', knowing full well that he could not win a National strike ballot. He then went on to direct 'Flying Pickets' to intimidate workers who had voted to work.. under THE VERY RULES SCARGILL IMPOSED. Did Sandbrook analyse this? Did he ****. He was more interested in claiming that Nottm Miners preferred to look to their own interests.. notionally linking that idea to the 'spirit' of Thatcherism. He's a fraud.

He later claimed that the 80's were a 'golden age' in sports broadcasting. That is utter bollocks. It's exactly those sweeping statements that he slips into his narrative.. almost as if he thinks we won't notice.

Fraud. Crook. Closet Tory.

Watched a couple of re-run episodes of this. The more I watch this fake, the more I dislike him. Yes.. he mostly portrays a factually correct version of events. yes. he comes across as thoughtful and analytical..but he is a dyed in the wool far right apologist.

Ref:. The 'Miners Strike'. He analyses this as Nottm Miners versus 'Others', whilst completely ignoring the fact the Scargill quite deliberately went for a 'rolling ballot', knowing full well that he could not win a National strike ballot. He then went on to direct 'Flying Pickets' to intimidate workers who had voted to work.. under THE VERY RULES SCARGILL IMPOSED. Did Sandbrook analyse this? Did he ****. He was more interested in claiming that Nottm Miners preferred to look to their own interests.. notionally linking that idea to the 'spirit' of Thatcherism. He's a fraud.

He later claimed that the 80's were a 'golden age' in sports broadcasting. That is utter bollocks. It's exactly those sweeping statements that he slips into his narrative.. almost as if he thinks we won't notice.

Fraud. Crook. Closet Tory.

Yes he is, but not that far in the closet - he's a Mail hack. It's the posing in this series as some kind of balanced neutral that gets irritating.

I don’t take it as a serious analytical piece . More a trip down memory lane and a comparison with today. Plus a few good tunes. Maybe that’s to fail to recognise some of the hardships and glorification of Thatcher (which I think he rather over did) , and to fail to recognise the continuing effects today.

Ref:. The 'Miners Strike'. He analyses this as Nottm Miners versus 'Others', whilst completely ignoring the fact the Scargill quite deliberately went for a 'rolling ballot', knowing full well that he could not win a National strike ballot. He then went on to direct 'Flying Pickets' to intimidate workers who had voted to work.. under THE VERY RULES SCARGILL IMPOSED. Did Sandbrook analyse this? Did he ****. He was more interested in claiming that Nottm Miners preferred to look to their own interests.. notionally linking that idea to the 'spirit' of Thatcherism.

I have often wondered whether Scargill was actually a Thatcherite mole, whose job was to ensure that the NUM was destroyed. But it's far more likely that he was just pig-headed, and a bit thick.

My understanding (and I am no expert, so bear with me) is that a national strike ballot was achievable, and that had the vote been in favour of strike action, the Notts miners would have abided by the result.

advertisement

Back