advertisement

Compromising for less clutter and more style

RoA

pfm Member
Are there others that are happy to have compromised a little Sound quality for less clutter and a little bit more style?

Both are somewhat subjective I realise.

I seem to have a really good memory for what things sound like. The problem is that when I change something, even if it's an upgrade, I notice anything that's missing and it annoys me.

Yes. I went from numerous and expensive boxes to small standmounts /rega p3/quad vena amp (with dac and phono stage) and Pi4 streamer. Haven’t missed much, synergy counts for a lot.

I do miss the scale of floorstanders. However, musicality of the simple rega set up trumps everything else (and i have less guilt about how much it all cost).

Went from large alphason rack setup years ago comprising of Technics SU-VX 600 amp, Technics SL-PG 400 cd, Technics ST-GT70 tuner, Technics SL-1210 deck and Tannoy 605's and thousands of cd's to Mac, Native instruments external dac/soundcard and active monitors, much simpler and sounds way better.

Went from large alphason rack setup years ago comprising of Technics SU-VX 600 amp, Technics SL-PG 400 cd, Technics ST-GT70 tuner, Technics SL-1210 deck and Tannoy 605's and thousands of cd's to Mac, Native instruments external dac/soundcard and active monitors, much simpler and sounds way better.

Yeah, but to be fair, most things sound better than Technics Mate.

Are there others that are happy to have compromised a little Sound quality for less clutter and a little bit more style?

Both are somewhat subjective I realise.

That would be like garlic to a vampire to me! I absolutely couldn't give a toss about the appearance of equipment. It sprawls all over my living room (and every other room), speakers cables go straight across carpet with no attempt to hide them, speakers are old ugly BBC type and are >1M into the room and away from any walls, most gear is made by me and some is just circuit boards and transformers on a sheet of chipboard in the middle of the floor:)

I've compromised a bit. Not so much in the kit but in the use of regular furniture on which to park the kit. But, I suppose, some might view using an integrated amp as a compromise of sorts (it's not, IMHO).

Only to keep it safer for the kids - I had to spend on more stable supports for the speakers (nobody wants 20 kg or so falling over) and I put my TT up at neck height so they can't play with it. So only practical compromises.

Yamaha RN-803D. I think the cables in my Naim rig cost more. Crazy I know but it sounds fantastic and does everything. Quite a few fish have them.

Wowsers! What naim rig did you downsize from? I'm down to a cd>passive pre>power amp.

It's an appealing idea.

I could compromise on some things, like power, clarity, and big speakers, but (in my main system) it would have to offer an overall uplift in musical enjoyment and still suit the listening room.

Manufacturers have developed plenty of high quality one-box streamer/amp products in the past 10-15 years so there's plenty to choose from.

I use a Linn Sneaky DS in one room which can sit on its side. It's on the floor behind a sofa and completely out of sight so I suppose that's the final step - not see the electronics at all.

Wowsers! What naim rig did you downsize from? I'm down to a cd>passive pre>power amp.

CD2, 252, Supercap, 300, Stageline. Just use pretty much any CD player (currently an old Marantz DR700) as a transport into the DAC of the 803. Bingo. Kept my LP12, of course!

CD2, 252, Supercap, 300, Stageline. Just use pretty much any CD player (currently an old Marantz DR700) as a transport into the DAC of the 803. Bingo. Kept my LP12, of course!

Wow! That, on paper, sounds like a massive downgrade, but if you use/enjoy it more that's a great upgrade!

advertisement

Back