advertisement

Urgent advice on which guitar to use for a charity signing

deanf

pfm Member
I've got a fairly famous band willing to sign something for a mental health charity, I know absolutely nothing about guitars and I don't want to spend massive money, but I need it by Sunday so ideally it will be within collection distance of Stockport / Manchester. Would something like this be ok?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Encore-E...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

Tony L and the Mods (what a great name for a band :)) - I'm sorry if this breaks any of the rules, I wasn't quite sure where best to post and as it's a really good cause I hope you'll forgive me if I'm in the wrong. The charity is Beacon Counselling in Stockport. Thank you.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
To be honest I don’t think I’d use a guitar unless it was actually one donated by the band. My fear is buying a cheap guitar without provenance or connection to the band is really no different to getting them to sign a foodmixer or something. If it isn’t their guitar why are they signing it, plus you are down £x value by actually paying for the raw material cost of a guitar. Far more logical IMHO to get them to sign records, CDs, promo photos, posters etc, ideally as many as possible. If possible get them to donate them that way you make 100% for the charity.

Must admit that was my first thought....a signature on a cheap guitar that isn't actually from the band doesn't seem like a great idea.

How about videoing the group as they sign the guitar. A bit of digital authentication would help with the provenance.

To be honest I don’t think I’d use a guitar unless it was actually one donated by the band. My fear is buying a cheap guitar without provenance or connection to the band is really no different to getting them to sign a foodmixer or something. If it isn’t their guitar why are they signing it, plus you are down £x value by actually paying for the raw material cost of a guitar. Far more logical IMHO to get them to sign records, CDs, promo photos, posters etc, ideally as many as possible. If possible get them to donate them that way you make 100% for the charity.

Thanks Tony and everyone, that's really good advice.

They're already signing a CD and couple of other bits that are coming freemans :D would a gig poster be better? I'll struggle to get one by weekend.

Just one observation - the guitar on the link is basically black. White or silver pens required if there is some kind of official signing.

How about videoing the group as they sign the guitar. A bit of digital authentication would help with the provenance.

That wasn’t what I meant about provenance, it is easy to prove it was the band with a digital photo or whatever, I just question the idea of using a cheap guitar that has no connection to them. It’s kind of like asking Lewis Hamilton to sign a Nissan Micra. If the guitarist donated his own Strat or Les Paul then that’s a whole other thing!

PS I feel a gig poster would be very good. Has the same ‘wall hang’ potential as a guitar but has proper connection without much cost. I’d probably pay to get it framed.

How about asking the band for ephemera -plectrums, drum sticks and the like - only one relevant signature but they'd cost the band not much.

A quick check on ebay and the posters don't bring big money, not enough to justify an 80 mile round trip to collect.

How about asking the band for ephemera -plectrums, drum sticks and the like - only one relevant signature but they'd cost the band not much.

A friend is meeting them in the studio on Monday, they've generously promised a few bits and a bit of time but I'm thinking if there's a way of cashing in without abusing their good will.

All in the name of promoting positive mental health of course :)

A spin on this I’ve seen quite a few times, and signed myself a once or twice, is a used snare drum skin.

Has more authenticity than a guitar not owned by them, is a nice size for all the sigs, and can quite easily be displayed or framed to go on a wall.

And fresh skins are much cheaper than crap guitars.

Can even get the band to draw their logo on or something like that.

A spin on this I’ve seen quite a few times, and signed myself a once or twice, is a used snare drum skin.

Has more authenticity than a guitar not owned by them, is a nice size for all the sigs, and can quite easily be displayed or framed to go on a wall.

And fresh skins are much cheaper than crap guitars.

Can even get the band to draw their logo on or something like that.
That's a good idea. In addition a lot of drummers hang on to knackered skins, sticks etc just in case they "come in". I have a friend who repairs and restores instruments, he loves discarded drumsticks as they are very useful tools. Because they are free he has no concern about cutting them to a particular size or shape, doing a job and discarding them.

Also bare in mind that given you have the band’s attention getting them to sign five things takes little more time than one, i.e. no need to choose between a poster, LP or drum skin, get them all! Release them onto the market over time too, e.g. stick one on ebay, sit on one, stick one up in the charity shop at a crazy price. Timing is very significant when selling, e.g. I've got a few potentially collectable albums upstairs that I’m not shifting as they aren’t ripe yet!

advertisement

Back