advertisement

Lenco G75 - Worth the effort?

I think that the Lencos have a huge amount of potential. I have an 88, which admittedly is a different animal, but it sounds fantastic.

I think that the Lencos have a huge amount of potential. I have an 88, which admittedly is a different animal, but it sounds fantastic.

+1
Browsing on Lenco Heaven will demonstrate the many possibilities.
I have a G99 which certainly holds its own alongside the 401 and TD124 II in my 'upstairs' system.

Regards
Mike K.

I have a standard GL75 as my second deck, Shure M55 cart fitted, sounds ok to me, but not looking for great things. I have a denon 103 but its on my SME 3009 at the moment (and it works with an added weight)

A quick update on the GL75.
It's not in as bad a condition as it originally looked. Plinth is shot so that definitely needs replacing. Arm is not sagging excessively and the V-blocks are intact, but I have new ones coming. I shall be re-wiring this afternoon to get it up to modern safety specs, but have had a quick listen with a spare AT95E I have (I mean, who hasn't got one ready to be pressed into quick service? ;)). It had a DIN plug on the end - I knew that recently bought NAC72 would come in handy.

How can I describe the sound? Solid, fast, involving. I can see their appeal.

Oh I know, it’s terrible. It feels weird using such a high mass arm with 2g ish of tracking weight. I’m curious as to how it can sound but accept it’ll need a better arm. Any recommendations for a cheap and cheerful arm to use for now?

Jelco 250 is a drop in replacement, just needs a collar to make it a snug fit in the existing hole (you can get one from eBay, or make one by cutting a 35mm film container).

another arm is a must, a Lenco arm does the turntable no favours. I have three Rega arms with my seven Lenco's. Lencoheaven is OK if you do what they say and don't disagree with them. There are a few good guys on there, but not many, who seem very blinkered.

Well, I've re-lubed the motor, idler, and the main bearing and I can't hear the slightest bit of rumble. I've rewired the output cable, motor and switch. It's now fully earthed and a lot better insulated where mains exists. Stock Lenco arm now has new V blocks. This really rocks. I'm tempted with that AT3600l I have lying around too.
I'm torn between spending a load of money on a new plinth, cartridge and arm, or just enjoying what this [currently] bargain basement TT can do. Unfortunately I live in a rather wobbly floored house and putting a shelf up isn't going to be allowed so to enjoy it further I think it really needs a solid footing.

Next projects: Redesign Naim's 322 MM card for easy input capacitance changing, Martin's DC Motor thingy or a PSU rebuild on the RD11e, that active SBL crossover project...

I'm having a love/hate relationship with this TT. I'm going to have to spend on a plinth and a tonearm to get the best out of it, and I mustn't move too quickly near it at present because the room movement and current suspension is appalling. A big mass and some clever positioning may help but I'm going to end up moving house before I can use it properly! Yet it has a musicality I can't put into words. Arghh.

Not sure whether to file it away for a rainy day project, or sell it on and revisit at a later date (as long it's not the next Garrard 401..)

What plinth do you have? If it is one of the ones with a sprung base you may find it is far less prone to footfall with that locked out.

How do you "lock it out" Tony? I have to creep about when mine is in play.

advertisement

Back