advertisement

Amp or speakers?

camed

pfm Member
I have £1k to spend but not sure where to spend it.
I have a simple TT based system. LP12 Majik karousel lingo 4 with 2m black cart, black cube, brio r (2016 version) B&w 607 speakers.
Do I upgrade amp or speakers? Suggestions appreciated.

New or used?
How crazy on size can you go with speakers?

Why have you filtered options down to amp' and speakers, rather than any other component?

Do you get more from the black cube than from the onboard stage of the Brio?

I’d say speakers - but maybe up the budget if you can. That’s a very decent front end and would be revealed if you spent some decent money on your speakers. Then, of course, you’ll be looking at a new amp...and the cycle continues lol.

Would prefer new. Speakers would need to be reasonably compact and close to wall.
I purchased the TT new last year at a cost of £4K
The amp and speakers only cost £800 combined so wanted to balance the system a bit!

The hassle is that no-one will know everything that you have, and certainly not as a system.

I essentially only ever buy second-hand - if I hate it, it goes and it costs me nowt. (I have been VERY lucky and have hated very little that I have bought. It has been bettered, but it has very seldom been hated.)

Can you borrow anything? Loan from a dealer or friend? I would look to speakers probably, but second-hand and be prepared to sell on if they didn't work/I didn't like them.

I have always owned floor-standig speakers so my view is very biased.

The 607 are good , the 607s2 anniversary are even better, grab a pair of even the 606 s2 anniversary

I would say that unless the speakers do something you really like, and are especially sensitive to amplification, it's got to be speakers, really. But I'm with Vinny: speakers can be so different that it makes much more sense to buy second hand and pass them on if they don't suit. Deprecation seems to be especially cruel with speakers as well: a grand can really buy you a lot of speaker, used.

Yes, speakers.
Listen to them and compare to good headphones.
I’ve always found that good speakers sound much like good headphones, with the added bonus of 3D imaging and bass of course, which they can’t do.

a grand can really buy you a lot of speaker, used.

Careful buying, I'd say more like huge rather than a lot :)

I suspect that depreciation is down to the worse than humungous faff that shipping speakers generally is....................

Excuse the shameless plug, my Neat Motive 2’s I’ve just put in the classifieds would transform your system (and are easy to ship). If for some reason they don’t work in your room (they’re very flexible), move them on. Don’t forget, you can sell your existing kit, could probably upgrade the amp as well within budget and sale proceeds.

Last edited:
Careful buying, I'd say more like huge rather than a lot :)

I suspect that depreciation is down to the worse than humungous faff that shipping speakers generally is....................
Yes that's true, and I have the unwanted speakers piling up in my house to prove it. Although that's mostly laziness on my part: small speakers aren't that hard to box up and pass on.

Depreciation seems to be especially cruel with speakers
And the bigger ones even more so. The reason being that they are more lumbersome to swap around than smaller ones.
From personal experience, it is easier to collect smaller speakers than big ones. The bigger ones are more difficult to move on.
Look on the bay for floorstanders that have spent months there waiting for "collection only".

My 15 inch DC Tannoys are NOT pretty, but I paid the asking price of £1K here on PFM. Collection took me a few hours round trip.

Some 12 inch HPDs cost me peanuts and my 12 inch woofer Infinity ..............................

£1K wisely spent on speakers could leave the rest of the system standing.

That would leave huge room for tonearm, cart and phono, and amp "tweeking" :)

What a dumb-ass hobby LLOL

advertisement

Back