advertisement

Naim Hi Cap Needs Two Capacitors

Al_G

My Naim Hi Cap started smoking the other day. I had explained to it how unhealthy smoking is, nonethelesss...

But seriously, I'm looking to buy two replacement capacitors, but they are hard to find. The current ones are labeled Felsic co 38.

Any tips on where to get suitable new replacements would be much appreciated. A USA supplier would be a bonus. Thank you.

Going to be hard to find new sets of these in the states at this time unless you want used, I just bought 2 sets myself from a European supplier after looking hard for sets stateside. Good Luck.

I see, that's not really a diagnosis though. It's very likely that other issues have caused this catastrophic issue. Just replacing the two big caps with new ones may result in the same problem.

If you don't want to send to the Naim Service agent (and that is obviously up to you) then you may need to take it to somebody familiar with electronics.

Have a look at the CPC Farnell website. They have a few high value screw terminal caps in the bargain basement section.

Are you absolutely sure it is the big caps smoking? I would not be surprised if the small tantalum caps were smoking, but the big caps would be very unusual, though not impossible...

Are you absolutely sure it is the big caps smoking? I would not be surprised if the small tantalum caps were smoking, but the big caps would be very unusual, though not impossible...

The tantalum capacitors in Hicaps die all the time. They have an acrid smell that you can never forget. I've seen hundreds of them and have only ever seen the main capacitors die once, and that was because someone had wired them in reverse.

The tantalum capacitors in Hicaps die all the time. They have an acrid smell that you can never forget. I've seen hundreds of them and have only ever seen the main capacitors die once, and that was because someone had wired them in reverse.

There was a large scorch mark up the wall in the inspection area IIRC ...

Reactions: MJS

I will replace them as well. Thank you.

Thank you all! I ordered the abovementioned service kit containing:

2 x Sic Safco CO39 Smoothing Caps

4 x Tantalum 10uF 35v

$182 delivered to the US. Looks like a simple install. I will report back afterwards.

Thanks again!

That service kit should include 4 x tantalum capacitors unlike the two in their description.

That service kit should include 4 x tantalum capacitors unlike the two in their description.

I ordered 4, as detailed above. One of the tantalum capacitors is clearly fried. I was very tempted to simply get a $1 replacement and see how it worked.

advertisement

Back