advertisement

Amazon deals etc

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Currently 2x6 of Mutti polpa is cheaper than 12.
It's £4.20 but don't hold your breath.It's very tasty not
as fine as passata but smoother than chopped.
Ofcourse supermarket stuff is cheaper.Mutti is nice though.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005PXJ8D2/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
Hang on guys, do you honestly order such dirt cheap items on Amazon, even when you can get them at your local shop ? I must be missing something.

Not particularly green myself, but following Covid, not many people seem to be interested in the climate situation any longer.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Not particularly green myself, but following Covid, not many people seem to be interested in the climate situation any longer.

I’m curious why you think the Amazon model is less green than local shops? I’m prepared to bet that when viewed from a full logistics perspective it is the exact reverse as it is a heck of a lot more economical than shipping product to multiple distributors and then to local shops, and then, worst of all, you getting in your car to go shopping. Amazon is effectively a distribution hub that delivers direct to the customer cutting out all middle-men. Each delivery guy will be making a hundred or more deliveries from one van rather than a hundred or more individuals parking their own cars in town etc. It is the equivalent of car-sharing on a simply massive scale. Basically the reason Amazon is so price competitive and quick is it cuts so many stages out of the whole product manufacturer to end-user logistics cycle. Each item will have moved far less miles on average.

PS Try preordering this from your local grocer!

We have the same taste saxophone-wise :) I see your point about the Amazon model, and it's certainly more economical to order online than driving two hours to Geneva where I could hypothetically find this Dexter Gordon record. Or not.

But for all people who like cooking (including me), it is no option to order salads and vegetables from Amazon, provided they sell such things, so they go to the local grocer anyway. Once there, they will also buy 10 other items like pasta etc. and then they drive home once. I own up to have also ordered a few items on Aliexpress for convenience, and when I order three things I get three parcels on three different days. Now if Amazon does the same thing, which I imagine they do, I doubt their carbon footprint to be in their favour.
But we could go on for hours on this topic.

But for all people who like cooking (including me), it is no option to order salads and vegetables from Amazon,

Salad, Veg and in particular fresh herbs are excellent from Amazon Fresh round here.

Last Sunday at 9am we realised we were missing some fresh herbs for something we were cooking.

Popped on to Amazon fresh, ordered, got a free two hour delivery slot for 10am to 12noon. Eventually delivered at 11:15am. Couldn't ask for better

Impressive, @gintonic. And if the delivery guy drives past your door anyway, it’s all ok to stop over for a pack of chives.

We live in the countryside and we have taken the habit to plan in advance what we are cooking. I must say that Amazon is very poorly established in Swizzieland, and the existing suppliers of food online are all abysmal in every way, and many here still go to shops.

And if the delivery guy drives past your door anyway, it’s all ok to stop over for a pack of chives.

there is a minimum order amount, but we can usually think of enough to buy to fulfill that. Being a Prime subscriber helps get better slots

Yeah, but open to explot. In house information on the algorithm being used, which according to amazon isn't face recognition could be utilised in 'slight of hand' clothing/ human frame size/ stature/ walk replacement shoppers. Not sure I trust that one until they have a fraud unit with expertise in dealing with it.

eh?

The software they use to recognise customers and what they put in their bags, with the benefit of inside knowledge... i.e. How your shopping is billed to you after you have presented your QR code at the door... is open to exploit.

indeed it is - but traditional shops are open to shop lifting.

We have a chemist shop on site bristling with similar tech. The pharmacy part is used by pharmacy students for simulation, the retail bit is used by our AI PhD students working on similar solutions for retail companies

I’m curious why you think the Amazon model is less green than local shops? I’m prepared to bet that when viewed from a full logistics perspective it is the exact reverse as it is a heck of a lot more economical than shipping product to multiple distributors and then to local shops, and then, worst of all, you getting in your car to go shopping. Amazon is effectively a distribution hub that delivers direct to the customer cutting out all middle-men. Each delivery guy will be making a hundred or more deliveries from one van rather than a hundred or more individuals parking their own cars in town etc. It is the equivalent of car-sharing on a simply massive scale. Basically the reason Amazon is so price competitive and quick is it cuts so many stages out of the whole product manufacturer to end-user logistics cycle. Each item will have moved far less miles on average.

interestingly amazon seems to be building an utterly massive distribution site just up the road from me . the site has lain derelict for years , used to make batteries there

This one just gone in near us too. That's in addition to a new 3.4M Sq Ft building going up for them 10 mils away...

industrial.jpg

advertisement

Back