advertisement

New EBLT's from Rega

I fitted a 24v motor kit to a friend's old Planar3 a few months ago. The difference was dramatic, bigger than I expected. I think that anything you can do to tighten up the drive system is worthwhile.
Correct... and the reference belt is £25, £10 more than the EBLT, which I assume is the new “standard” belt, so if you need a new belt anyway, it’s an extra £10... just do it.

I fitted a 24v motor kit to a friend's old Planar3 a few months ago. The difference was dramatic, bigger than I expected. I think that anything you can do to tighten up the drive system is worthwhile.
Hi Colin
Is it easy to do and how much does it cost please ?
I currently have a new white belt that was fitted 6 months ago and of course mine is on a mana sound clamp which sounds amazing :cool:

Last edited:
Is it easy to do and how much does it cost please?

I think it was £130, my friend bought it and I fitted it for him. Yeah, it was quite easy. Couple of wires to solder but if you follow the instructions and take your time it's not hard. Dry fit the motor to make sure you get the height of the pulley right. Once you put the sticky pads on you're not getting them back off without destroying them.

You've got a Planar3 in a Sound Clamp? Must be a huge Clamp! I'd love to put one on my deck but I don't see how it could be done on the RP10.

Thanks Colin
Something for the future :)
The clamp is only 1 cm wider and 5 cm deeper than the rega Saturn clamp and it’s only deeper because it needed to miss the motor box
And it works !!
As you say not sure about the rp10 but talk to John he has lots of ideas for ways round problems

Once you put the sticky pads on you're not getting them back off without destroying them.
I attached my upgrade motor to the aluminium bar that the old motor suspension was attached to and rescrewed said bar to the plinth. Making one of the plinth mounting holes into a short slot gives you motor adjustment if required (I haven’t needed to do this).

Attaching the new motor to the bar also means you can remove it later if you want to.

Regarding the new belt, I hope it lasts longer than the white one. An improvement over the old black one when new, mine became inferior within a couple of years.

I attached my upgrade motor to the aluminium bar that the old motor suspension was attached to and rescrewed said bar to the plinth. Making one of the plinth mounting holes into a short slot gives you motor adjustment if required (I haven’t needed to do this).

Attaching the new motor to the bar also means you can remove it later if you want to.
The higher end Rega decks with the 24v motor used to have an elongated slot like that to allow adjustment of the belt tension, the motors are bolted in rather than using sticky pads on the more expensive models.

As previously mentioned up thread, take a look at Michael Fremer's Rega factory tour videos (accompanied by Roy Gandy) on YouTube to learn more about the engineering involved in the belts. One can wonder what other turntable manufacturers would charge for producing such a belt, my thoughts are a lot more. Looking forward to trying the reference belts on my RP8.

Rega's rigid foot mounts might offer a more elegant solution.

No, you don't get it. The Mana Clamp is not remotely like changing feet or a cable. It's much bigger and wonderful sounding. And I have absolutely no idea how it does it!

By the way Lambo, do you use your Clamp on glass or board? I got a board with mine, to use until I got a bit of glass, but when I did I found I prefer the board by a large margin. Normally using a board kills the sound but with the Clamp it sounds great.

advertisement

Back