advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to argue with
"She also claims some Brexiters are consumed with hatred for Germany and gripped by a myth that they liberated Europe on their own, describing Brexit as a triumph of emotion over reason, won by a campaign full of lies in which negative attitudes to migration were exploited by figures such as Johnson and Michael Gove."

She's probably right. I should imagine that there are some continuity blocists who perceive the EU as an entirely benign organisation, devoid of doctrine or ideology, that has 'kept the peace' in Europe for the past 75 years, and is devoted only to the paths of true democracy, love, harmony and workers rights. I suspect I wouldn't be too wide of the mark either.

No more than Mme Bermann seems to have unbounded affection for Britain.
But we are foundering under the weight of racist know-nothings who have stuffed the country. As Barren Colin says, we are just like the Titanic heading for the iceberg, unsinkable.

Gosh, Mme Bermann doesn't have an axe to grind, does she!
Wait till the various FCO/ Cabinet Office memoirs are published. The BBC fly on the wall documentary about the Ministry was enough while Johnson was the incumbent. It reminded me of his and his mistress’s dog Dyllin. Civil servants following behind, picking up his diplomatic mess after him, everywhere he went.

Did he not get what he voted for either, then? Shame.
You have to consider the material the party has to work with,

aOZ5ZpF.jpg

Gammon cubed.

Wait till the various FCO/ Cabinet Office memoirs are published. The BBC fly on the wall documentary about the Ministry was enough while Johnson was the incumbent. It reminded me of his and his mistress’s dog Dyllin. Civil servants following behind, picking up his diplomatic mess after him, everywhere he went.
Mme Bermann made no comment on Napoleon's performance, the French economy or their vaccine jab rate. I hear Napoleon is now of the opinion that AZ vaccine is ok?

I’m unclear why there’s the indignant response to the former French Ambassador’s appraisal of Johnson’s character and conduct in office. It’s not even as harsh as opinions expressed by his own former party colleagues including at least one former leader of the party. Then of course there’s the current US President and his team- better not contradict their unflattering opinion of Johnson.

Not at all. I do believe that the EU is all of those things, and as is now being made clear (again), pretty unpleasant too. The awful - and it is awful - dilemma is that the UK is not 'better off' out of it.
Was it just me who saw this? Arch leaver acknowledges the inconvenient truth?

Please don't use my words out of their context. The context is important.

Not at all. I do believe that the EU is all of those things, and as is now being made clear (again), pretty unpleasant too. The awful - and it is awful - dilemma is that the UK is not 'better off' out of it.

The EU offers two things - the political project, which, as you succinctly if belatedly pointed out the other day, rigidly encapsulates the concept of 'ever closer union' (empire, dominion and power) and the economic bit, within which the Single Market is enshrined. It doesn't offer the latter unless you sign up to the former. You can dine with the devil, or choose the deep blue sea.

Was it just me who saw this? Arch leaver acknowledges the inconvenient truth?
I saw it, and thought it rather in keeping with his wider stance, so not worth singling out for comment. Perhaps uniquely among leavers on here, EV has always acknowledged both sides of the argument. Unlike Colin, or his fellow travellers on here, EV's position has always felt amenable to polite and rational discussion, rather than just, in effect, bellowing rhetoric at each other. For him to acknowledge that things aren't turning out as he'd hoped seems to me to be in character, and not inconsistent. He had clearly hoped that Brexit could and would be better managed. Where we differ, rather fundamentally, is in how we apportion the blame for this.

Well played Vauxhall btw take hint from Nissan now is the time to test those 'levelling up' assurances, get that purse open Richy Sunak - another one to me washed through the COVID expenses tab. Next.

I saw it, and thought it rather in keeping with his wider stance, so not worth singling out for comment. Perhaps uniquely among leavers on here, EV has always acknowledged both sides of the argument. Unlike Colin, or his fellow travellers on here, EV's position has always felt amenable to polite and rational discussion, rather than just, in effect, bellowing rhetoric at each other. For him to acknowledge that things aren't turning out as he'd hoped seems to me to be in character, and not inconsistent. He had clearly hoped that Brexit could and would be better managed. Where we differ, rather fundamentally, is in how we apportion the blame for this.

Arthur Daley to Barron's Terry McCann.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back