advertisement

Rugs

MikeMA

pfm Member
I wan't a new rug in my main living room. I know from the pfm "System Pics " thread that nice rugs are popular with the pfm cognoscenti, so I thought I'd seek some views here.

I fancy something traditional, wool, and "Oriental".... Afghan, Persian, that sort of thing, patterned and predominantly reddish. It needs to be close to 2m x 3m. I don't have a strict budget, but I'm looking to pay in the region of £800 to £1,000.

It's next to impossible to get to see dealers at the moment so I've been looking online. It's all a bit random but so far I've seen quite a few that I like on Rugs Direct , Nain Trading, and Wayfair. Anyone got any tips on other good online sources, things to watch out for etc?

Depending on how much you'd like to pay, these are stunning and I'll be getting on when we can afford it (and the wee one is less likely to throw up on it):

https://www.wendymorrisondesign.com/shop/

There's 10% off first order on the offers page and if you or anyone else does purchase one, please be kind enough to tell her that Satvinder (my better half) referred you. They're nice people and it will be nice for them to know they're being supported.

@Rug Doc will able to direct you on this. He's one of 'us' because he likes rugs and he likes stereos, and old cars and stuff.

Unless I've misunderstood his username and he runs a wig emporium of some kind?

No it don’t sell wigs as you suggest Alan, but I do have quite a large selection of carpets and rugs for sale and have helped out a few forum members with rugs and repairs so will help if I can. This is me - www.farnhamantiquecarpets.com and I've been doing this for 27 years.

If you're anywhere near Petworth, there's a very good rug shop in East St https://rugsofpetworth.co.uk/. Probably locked down at the moment, but we equipped most of our house there - lovely choice. Alex is very helpful.

Yes, Alex is a friend and is good at what he does! I'm sure you've got some nice things :)

As mentioned @Rug Doc

He knows his rugs.

The suggestion of an auction for a 3 x 2m rug with a budget of £1000 is quite a good one, you can pickup some bargains, but it's tricky to see them at the moment as they are all closed doors. There's also no returns if you don't like it - I have a lot of people that have bought at auction asking for me to trade in their purchases for something else as they don't like it as much at home when it arrives, as always, caveat emptor.

We import direct from Afghanistan, Iran, Pakistan and others, so can get really decent prices on things and a PFM discount applies :) My website is quite a decent starting place to get a grasp of what designs you like, but most of my stock is antique (over 100 years) and in good or perfect condition - if you think some hifi is expensive!... :confused:

Here I have listed things currently on our website that are 3 x 2m in ascending price order...

If there is a style that you like, let me know and I'll see if I can find similar in budget.. old ones are harder to find in the budget, but again just send me an image of what you like and I'll see what I can do :)

I have and love Afghani tribal rugs. These are always patterned, and often dark red background with traditonal hand knotted muslim patterns. The fringes are sometimes deep grey/charcoal.

Good specimens are not always easy to find. Many are within your size and price.

Best bet is not to rush. Wait. Go and visit auction sales. You will develop your eye and narrow your likes and dislikes.

I would suggest: avoid dealers at first until you know what you are wanting.

Best of luck.

I have and love Afghani tribal rugs. These are always patterned, and often dark red background with traditonal hand knotted muslim patterns. The fringes are sometimes deep grey/charcoal.

I would suggest: avoid dealers at first until you know what you are wanting.

Best of luck.

Not all dealers are bad! - I educate anyone that comes into the gallery willingly and probably 30% end up buying things, but all leave here having gained some knowledge - I do this because I love it, its not like selling easily replaceable commercial products, most dealers are passionate and enthused about their chosen field, so I would advise going to see a dealer or two, its the best way to gain knowledge!! I'm here to help with any questions or advice if I can, and won't charge for it ;)

Last edited:
@Rug Doc Nice stuff but will never be in my price range (or suit a 70's house). I'd actually be afraid to walk on those, mt tight Scottish brain would be saying' 'that cost you £1.50 to walk across that!'

I'd say if you want something that will still be a treasure in a few years when your tastes have become educated and grown in sophistication, try and source something dyed with natural dyes and in a traditional pattern of an area or tribe. If this sounds like an antique, it needn't be, as there has been a movement away from artificial dyes in the last thirty years or so. It's particularly in the reds, yellows and greens where a garish and stubbornly non fading colour can destroy the balance of the palette of a rug. The plant derived versions harmonise beautifully and only fade a small amount, and gracefully. You also get uneven dying, called abrash which can be attractive and prized, as it stops areas of colour being boring and flat.

In my limited experience, new rugs are ugly and old ones can be beautiful. If I were in your shoes, on that budget, I would look at local classifieds and then go along to see them. It will take time, but the more you see the better you will understand what is "good" , both in absolute terms and for you. Rugs that are at least 80 or 100 years old can be bought for your budget, from people who do not like old oriental rugs, who may have inherited them and don't like them, or don't have the floor space. A professional rug shop, like Rug Doc above, has some lovely rugs (I looked at the "antique" section) but the prices reflect the fact that he has to make a profit on something he might have to keep for 5 or 10 years. But I would go along and talk to him, look and touch. (Covid permitting). Photographs on a computer are not a good way of actually seeing what you may be seeing for the rest of your life.

Having said that, it might better to buy from Rug Doc rather than spend a lot of time looking for "a bargain." From what I see of his shop he has really good taste, and might even be willing to do an exchange in the future if you get fed up with what you buy. You know what you can afford, of course, but £1000 more or less is no big thing on something you will live with a very long time.
By the way, I did not at all like the stuff on the other website (wendymorrisondesign). I got a nasty feeling they would look even worse "in the flesh". But of course I may be wrong.

Whatever you do, remember that you should a little bit "fall in love" with a rug.

No problems with new rugs from traditional sources. This one is in the listening space, an Afghan Shall, and was very reasonably priced as I remember. I'll post a picture of it in place just as soon as the ATCs are back

50976775381_7a2a6408c1_h.jpg

Some new rugs are amazing and are made with really high quality wool and dyes... these will become antiques of the future.

Avoid machine made, and chemical dyes. But as with all things - just buy what you like. If you buy from a decent dealer (Alex mentioned above, or myself for example) and we’ll always buy things back/trade them in.. I have relationships with customers going back decades.

I have a friend who makes the very nicest modern rugs in Afghanistan and have Dropbox folders of all his stock so can see what’s available with no commitment.

By the way, I did not at all like the stuff on the other website (wendymorrisondesign). I got a nasty feeling they would look even worse "in the flesh". But of course I may be wrong.

Yes, totally a matter of taste of course, I agree they're not for everyone and the traditional look may appeal more.

She has designed for other companies too so you may have actually come across other styles elsewhere in large well known quality chains.

Personally my taste actually is more the rug matching the Shining or, as I've kept trying to get others to like, art of the Soviet Constructivism movement.....now that would be a rug!

Personally my taste actually is more the rug matching the Shining or, as I've kept trying to get others to like, art of the Soviet Constructivism movement.....now that would be a rug!

The shining rug - what a great idea..! I could get that made for you if you like... Would love to see how that would look.

actually - it’s machine made quality , but here you go!!

Ives Jean Home Modern Rug Carpet Shining Overlook Hotel 100 x 150 cmArea Rug Living Dining Room Bedroom Hallway Office Carpet Easy Clean Traditional Soft Plush Quality https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08FD2WRBW/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
The shining rug - what a great idea..! I could get that made for you if you like... Would love to see how that would look.

It was actually in a link that @billo posted further up the thread, choices of wool types take it up to £2450 but hell it would be worth it for the resistance to blood stains......

I'm actually starting to form the idea of this pattern for our hallway tiles....then when the wee one is young enough, I'll get him a trike and.......(he'll be scarred for life when he realises!)

advertisement

Back