advertisement

Don't Try to Lose Weight by Exercising

Sure its calories and not Kilojoules? (my exercise bike displays kilojoules and it take me about 15 mins to burn 420KJ - which is about 100 calories) so it would take me 2.5 hours to use 1000 calories on that bike!

I've never been into exercise bikes but that does sound a bit more like it to me.

Yes and no. If all other were equal, it would be true, but it's not. Exercise raises the BMR, so what was your reference point no longer is. The laws of thermodynamics are very simple. However the way they apply to real world biological systems are not as simple as we would like to think, or as simple as the classroom models would suggest, because some basic assumptions may be untrue.

Yes and no. If all other were equal, it would be true, but it's not. Exercise raises the BMR, so what was your reference point no longer is.

That is irrelevant as far as the research is concerned. The whole point made is that increased burning of calories does not happen, the extra calories needed are very largely reallocated from the energy used to just keep your body on tick-over.

It’s all about yer microbes. Tim Spector’s The Diet Myth is good on why it’s not as simple as food consumed/energy burned.
I’m increasingly coming to the view that gut flora are fundamentally important in many ways, weight control being just one of them.

It’s all about yer microbes. Tim Spector’s The Diet Myth is good on why it’s not as simple as food consumed/energy burned.

Hmm I beg to differ in that it's "all" about your microbes. Having had a quick look at what Tim has to say he's basically just repeating the common sense approach that going on a "diet" is never going to work. The idea that you go on a diet would suggest that at some point you come off the diet. He also talks about the cutting out carbs, cutting out fat etc which again he makes the point of it being unsustainable and not needed.

The healthy eating and fitness industry is a bit like the hifi industry in a sense in that there is a lot of trying to reinvent the wheel and a lot of it purely for financial gain.

That is irrelevant as far as the research is concerned. The whole point made is that increased burning of calories does not happen, the extra calories needed are very largely reallocated from the energy used to just keep your body on tick-over.
It's not irrelevant at all. The point I am making, supported by the current scientific consensus, is that the tick-over level is not fixed. I am currently sitting in a chair, jogging along on ~100 kcal an hour. If I go for a run at 300 kcal an hour I don't then come home and drop immediately back to where I was, any more than the 300kcal added arithmetically to my 100kcal sitting in a chair requirements.

Hmm I beg to differ in that it's "all" about your microbes. Having had a quick look at what Tim has to say he's basically just repeating the common sense approach that going on a "diet" is never going to work. The idea that you go on a diet would suggest that at some point you come off the diet. He also talks about the cutting out carbs, cutting out fat etc which again he makes the point of it being unsustainable and not needed.

The healthy eating and fitness industry is a bit like the hifi industry in a sense in that there is a lot of trying to reinvent the wheel and a lot of it purely for financial gain.
I was exaggerating, but he’s not really saying that about fat and carbs.

I'll put that on the bookshelf alongside "Cooking with Lard"

Interview with a chemist at one of the UK universities a few months back. His depertment had been looking at various cooking fats and what happened to them when used at various cookingtemperatures. He would choose lard every time over unsaturated fats.

Everything in moderation, a very sound rule of thumb.

I was exaggerating, but he’s not really saying that about fat and carbs.

Sorry I only read a few interviews there, he was just saying cutting out certain things might work for some but not others and generally fad diets are a waste of time.

My opinion on losing weight etc is people put far too much thought into it, making it overly complicated when it isn't.

1. Because they're obese and live in a world of denial as to why they're fat.

or

2. Because they're some personal trainer, dietician, nutritionist, fitness guru etc with a product to sell.

It's not irrelevant at all.

Have a listen or read, OK it may all be a load of BS, but from what he said on R4 this morning, your overall contention is not true/borne out by research. Any reasonable exercise does not result in a significant change in total calorie burn over time.

(1) If you want to lose weight, consume a diet not loaded with unnecessary calories particularly carbs.
(2) If you want to get fitter do plenty of exercise but it will make you hungry so be mindful of (1).

(1) If you want to lose weight, consume a diet not loaded with unnecessary calories particularly carbs.

Carb calories - the very latest diet/health obsession. Do they mention cables too?

Fat contains ROUGHLY two and half times as many calories per gramme as do protein and carb's.

advertisement

Back