advertisement

Cancel Culture

I'd suggest it's not about what you want, but what the women themselves do.
No, ads are made because X pays some marketing guys in order to make a campaign appealing to Y, so Y will buy something. The game is not about dignity in this mad world, it’s about what the potential customer wants.

I think the OP's point was that it's not the mob threatening legal action and demanding to speak to some random bloke's manager: typically it's tossers like Atkinson and Pearson. Absolute snowflakes.
Yes, as Buffy says at the start of season 7, it's all about power.

Most of the replies on this thread don't get that and are akin to the "all lives matter" gambit.

The only funny thing about right wing satire is watching its audience failing to understand it, and hyperventilating about entirely imaginary scenarios.
Which is it’s raison d'etre. Satire is directed at the powerful and at those in positions of influence, this is directed at those weaker than themselves. Satire is punching up, punching down is bullying

No, ads are made because X pays some marketing guys in order to make a campaign appealing to Y, so Y will buy something. The game is not about dignity in this mad world, it’s about what the potential customer wants.

That's as maybe; but that's not what you said.

Toby Young making a tit of himself on Newsnight. Spouting lockdown skepticism while denying a few months ago there would be a second spike, claiming the virus would disappear and that there was no need for even 1m social distancing. Trumpism has firmly taken root in Britain now even as America tosses it out.

Toby Young making a tit of himself on Newsnight. Spouting lockdown skepticism while denying a few months ago there would be a second spike, claiming the virus would disappear and that there was no need for even 1m social distancing. Trumpism has firmly taken root in Britain now even as America tosses it out.
The BBC should not give this crap a platform. This is a national emergency and this idiocy will cost 1000s of lives.

Twitter's Titania McGrath brought up a good one today:

https://equitablemath.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2020/11/1_STRIDE1.pdf

If you download the PDF and scroll down to page 7, you can read this:

We see white supremacy culture show up in the mathematics classroom even as we carry out our
professional responsibilities outlined in the California Standards for the Teaching Profession (CSTP).
Using CSTPas a framework, we see white supremacy culture in the mathematics classroom can show up when:
• The focus is on getting the “right” answer.

To which @Titania McGrath ironically wrote:
[The concept of a “right answer” in mathematics is an expression of white supremacy. Only a true racist would assume that black people can count.]

I am far from being a professional SJW but even to me, assuming that non-white people are more prone to not find the right answer is more than a bit offensive to them. And this in a leaflet supposed to address inequalities.

There comes a point where campus do-gooders should just shut up for a while before they make matters worse.

Apart from that, although I am not a mathematician, I always thought that maths relied to quite some extent on the very concept of true/false. As such, it seems to me to be an absolute science without any room for interpretation. How on earth can a skin colour affect the teaching of maths ?

@Seanm As far as I am concerned, I have never seen you lose even a second at reading something that doesn't stick with your stone still religious beliefs, so it won't be any different here.

I still don't understand what point you are trying to make. I think I know the point you're trying to make, but I don't want to jump to conclusions, so perhaps you could spell it out.
Genuine attempts at reducing inequalities have meanwhile gone over the top, to the point it has turned crazy, and counterproductive. Nobody gains anything in the process. Virtual Twitter accounts like Titania McGrath which highlight this nonsense are becoming a necessity.

Whenever there is an injustice it seems to be the nature of people that some at first over-react, before we eventual find a new norm. In the case of race (and gender) and inequality the injustice has been enormous, and of great duration, and so I think it behooves us as middle class white men to let it slide, and not celebrate in calling negative attention to it. I too find the notion that having a "right" answer in math is somehow linked to white supremacy to be ridiculous, but I don't find the need to scour the internet for such things so that I can ridicule, or find offence in them.

I think you will find more sense spout forth from the likes of Alan Partridge than Twitters Titania McGrath attempts to give Dailly Mail readers a good laugh.

advertisement

Back