advertisement

Stupid question about HD600's?

colasblue

pfm Member
Hi Guys

The diffraction (inside) foam on one side of my HD600's is on the way out.

Is it actually possible to replace that without also replacing the earpads?

TIA

Yes, available here. Sennheiser tend to very good with spares, IIRC every single part for the upper range models like the HD-600 can be bought as a spare. You can still even by the yellow ear pads for the classic 1970s HD-414!

Proper ‘right to repair’ compatible kit!

Couldn't stand the thin, flimsy cable that came with my HD600s which always ended up looking like a tangled mess on my headphone stand no matter how tidily I tried to store them. Read on another thread that the HD650 cable was much sturdier & had a 6.35mm jack so decided to order it. Was surprised to find it was less than £9 with free delivery & yes it is much sturdier & easier to store away neatly. A no brainer imo if you own HD600s unless you need the 3.2mm jack & don't like using an adaptor.
TS

Couldn't stand the thin, flimsy cable that came with my HD600s which always ended up looking like a tangled mess on my headphone stand no matter how tidily I tried to store them. Read on another thread that the HD650 cable was much sturdier & had a 6.35mm jack so decided to order it. Was surprised to find it was less than £9 with free delivery & yes it is much sturdier & easier to store away neatly. A no brainer imo if you own HD600s unless you need the 3.2mm jack & don't like using an adaptor.
TS

I've done the same for the same reasons plus I managed to break the HD600 cables just by standing up while wearing the phones and having a foot on the wire. Twice. I've made the same mistake many times with the HD650 cables and they are as good as new.

I've just replaced the earpads on my HD580s but left the foam out as I thought it just cosmetic.
Does it affect the sound greatly, should I put it back in?

I've just replaced the earpads on my HD580s but left the foam out as I thought it just cosmetic.
Does it affect the sound greatly, should I put it back in?

Some say the sound is actually better without them .....
I tried it without but it's surprising how much muck accumulates in the innards so I replaced them with a pair cut from thinner material (tights donated by the missus)

Can't really say I've noticed much difference with the originals to be honest but do seem clearer (possibly expectation bias at play though)

Yes, available here. Sennheiser tend to very good with spares, IIRC every single part for the upper range models like the HD-600 can be bought as a spare. You can still even by the yellow ear pads for the classic 1970s HD-414!

Proper ‘right to repair’ compatible kit!

Awesome, the padding on the headband of my HD600s has basically flattened to nothing. Thanks!

From all those interchangeable parts, it looks like there's no tangible difference between my HD580s and HD600s except styling.
Think I'll get one of those HD650 cables too.

Ah sorry I should have made myself clearer. I always knew I could get it. The question is can you actually fit it in isolation, ie without having to rip off the whole earpad?

Ah sorry I should have made myself clearer. I always knew I could get it. The question is can you actually fit it in isolation, ie without having to rip off the whole earpad?
No, the ear pad clamps it in place, so you'll have difficulty removing the old ones unless you remove the pads.

BTW the pad removal process doesn't damage them, they can be snapped on and off numerous times. It does require a bit of force but once you figure out the optimal place to apply pressure it's pretty straightforward. There are youtube videos that demonstrate the procedure.

Thanks guys, figured it out now. All very straightforward.

Are those all inclusive kits on ebay from China any good? Seems one can get a set of foams, earpads and a headband cushion for similar price to just one pair of genuine foams (after postage).

£4 postage on a £1 item!

Good to know.

I've bought a Chinese Kit from a UK seller, should be here in a few days.

I'll let you know if it's any good.

The only thing I've replaced before up to now is the headband cushion and that was a pattern part. I considered it audio non critical but it's been OK.

The rest of the process is all new.

I'm well impressed by how well these things come apart and can be fixed! My pair must be getting on for 20 years old.

Best upgrade I did for mine was to buy a rather nice oak stand from a seller called 'Oscar's Audio' on ebay.

Yes I can imagine that would make them slightly less unattractive to my ladyfriend than just having them lying around on the sofa or the floor when I'm not using them! Excellent VFM!

I don't know what "diffraction side" means in OP. If it's the thin foam covering the drivers, just rip it out. It's the source of the infamous Sennheiser "Fog."

I don't know what "diffraction side" means in OP. If it's the thin foam covering the drivers, just rip it out. It's the source of the infamous Sennheiser "Fog."

I'd be careful with that, when an opportunity to change pads came I gave that a go with the old ones.

Initially it seemed like a nice mod. First observation was of them being a little more energetic, more aggressive... but they lost their characteristic sense of ease. More listening indicated other stuff they lost too. The whole sound became thinner, leaner and less impactful. The highs became starker but the sound as a whole lost some definition.

I've gained new respect for the Sennheiser engineers: they knew what they were doing and that the stock sound is my preferred compromise. If I wanted the type of sound this mod brings - I'd buy some Grado 325s.

advertisement

Back