advertisement

EWA LS80 speaker cables

Thanks @ABCaudio, helpful info and understand your position re risk! As I posted previously about the 40s these are phenomenal cables so not my intention to damn with faint praise but, given the uplift in performance they give to try and decide which EWA to go for!

All I can do is remind you that whatever you may order at ABCaudio, despite it being hand-built, you will always have a month to evaluate it at home in your system. You can return it for a full refund if it's not for you - no risk, and no cost to you (beside postage).

You are the third to ask about a demo set, so it may yet happen. Although if I were to arrange another product demo/tour, I was thinking of the Claymore integrated amplifier.

I wanted to add a few snaps of my LS-80 in situ as Alan requested, but this site won't allow it. :mad: If anyone has ideas how to get around this, I can share a few snaps.

Hi OCD Cliff! :D

Images on pfm: they have to be hosted off-site (I use IMGBB but others like Flikr are fine - any image hosting site should do). Once your image is uploaded, you need the share links. The one which works on pfm is BBcode (from IMGBB I select BBCode medium linked).

Sometimes the link can simply be posted into the text editor. Or, use the insert image icon above - paste it in there. HTH!

I wanted to add a few snaps of my LS-80 in situ as Alan requested, but this site won't allow it. :mad: If anyone has ideas how to get around this, I can share a few snaps.

It is stiff and a little awkward but actually not that bad once you learn how to handle it. Forget trying to coil it and repeated curving the same way just causes it to go bumpy and lumpy, which makes sense when you think how it's constructed. Instead give it a gentle shake to release the stiction between the 2 runs of cable inside the sheath and fold it back and forth on itself in the shape of a mountain road, so the stiction tension goes one way then the other and cancels out.

My set up is a little awkward as my stack is to the left of both speakers; the left channel run uses less than 2 metres, so I have to accommodate a lot of cable coiled behind the speaker, whereas I need a full 5 metre run on the right channel to go around the fireplace. I was concerned it just wouldn't curve enough to fit around the plinth without bulging into the room, but actually it's fine and hugs the plinth ok.

Alan made me long 30cm tails, which really help flexibility at the amp end if you have horizontal banana terminals, but are not really necessary at the speaker end where there is plenty of room behind.

I wanted to keep both lengths the same to future proof and retain value, plus I'm a bit OCD like that!

Post links to an online photo host and I’ll bang them into here or try:

Have a go using postimage: https://postimages.org/. No need to host photos anywhere

Drag a picture or click onto the button Choose Images / Browse and find your picture

Copy the URL for the Hotlink for Forums and paste it into the PFM message​

Drop down and select 640x480 it will increase/reduce your pic to a decent size

Hi, have tried everything I can and can't make it work. Have used the forum hotlinks and thumbnail settings and resized as suggested but it doesn't show the images. Either I am useless or it doesn't like Macs?

I’m doing it on an iPad and also have an iMac. Try upload photo after choosing 640, the copied link should have the resized image. Not all pics work but most do as you can see from my resize of your cable one.

I’m doing it on an iPad and also have an iMac. Try upload photo after choosing 640, the copied link should have the resized image. Not all pics work but most do as you can see from my resize of your cable one.

Haha; that eliminates the Mac then, so the logical conclusion is I am useless!! Tried again and epic fail as I can't get any photos to appear now, not even small ones. Best I stick to hifi and avoid computers. At least if viewers follow the link they see the images :confused:

Haha; that eliminates the Mac then, so the logical conclusion is I am useless!! Tried again and epic fail. Best I stick to hifi and avoid computers. At least if viewers follow the link they see the images :confused:
After you get it to work once it'll fall into place - you must be missing a step or doing something else, I can see your album of pics via your link - clicked one - Share - copy the hotlink

Some photos of LS-80 in place in my system.

Got it at last. Mechanical things are my bag, not web design!!!!:confused:

For info the rear of the rack and amp are 18cm from the wall and the WBT banana terminals protrude about another 2cm. The cables fit quite comfortably now, although I did move the rack out a bit to accommodate them, as I didn't want to put any excess bend on them. The longer tails help here.

My speaker cabling is a bit awkward as the stack is at far left with speakers to the right, each side of the fireplace. For the left channel run I only need 2 metres or less and so have to store coiled cable behind the speaker. For the right channel run I need 5 metres to pass around the fireplace plinth. Despite the discrepancy in length required I wanted a matched pair of equal length cables.

You can also see my EWA IC-25 cables (one first gen and 2 second gen), 2x RCA and 1x XLR

https://postimg.cc/gallery/jr0FT47

sawmill bbq menu

Last edited:
We had a slightly alcohol fuelled late night listening session last night.

It was simply amazing, these cables are quite extraordinary.

Tracks we know really well sound so much better, all across the frequency range with more detail but also more musicality. Tracks that could be a bit ‘harsh’ at higher volumes have lost that harshness but also so much better. I was not expecting anything like that

we were lost for words last night, listening was an absolute pleasure

Thanks again

I've had a great weekend (sans alcohol!) listening to LS80s too and loved them. Even on the poor recordings/harshness where I was having trouble with the LS40s. I'm getting the same sorts of results as @neilm

The scale, detail, texture and bass control of the 80s is fabulous. I am definitely buying.......:D

Is there anyone on pinkfish with EWA interconnects where they can start a thread and let us know what they've compared them with?

I did have TQ Black Ultra at one point, but being honest, I prefer RFC Venus to that, or pretty much anything else apart from maybe Chord Sig Tuned Aray. I do wonder how EWA would compare.

I've had a great weekend (sans alcohol!) listening to LS80s too and loved them. Even on the poor recordings/harshness where I was having trouble with the LS40s. I'm getting the same sorts of results as @neilm

The scale, detail, texture and bass control of the 80s is fabulous. I am definitely buying.......:D

Is there anyone on pinkfish with EWA interconnects where they can start a thread and let us know what they've compared them with?

I wasn't hearing things then!;) Glad you love the cables, though your bank balance may disagree!

I actually have EWA interconnects throughout now, 1x 1st generation with RCA terminations and 2x second generation, one with RCA and one with XLR. I can give a feel for those easily enough, but haven't compared them with a large selection of other cables and those I have are rather less expensive, so not a totally fair comparison. I can detail it here or start a new thread? What would people prefer?

advertisement

Back