advertisement

Left handed keyboards

deanf

pfm Member
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
i am left handed and i hate left handed keyboards. I mouse with my right hand, use the cursor keys and keypad with my right hand.

My granddad was truly ambidextrous, he was a master tailor he used scissors equally well with both hands. His hand writing was identical with left or right hand; my gran always claimed it enabled him to fill out two betting slips at a time in the bookies

Number one nephew is left handed and works in IT so is a little but ambidextrous with mice - it gets confusing when with his right hand he passes me a mouse with left handed settings. Yet number two nephew is also left handed and uses a right handed mouse with right handed settings. By way of balance you’d expect right handed number three nephew to use his left hand to control the mouse with right handed settings, but he doesn’t.

Probably missing something, but what is the point? The "keyboard" with the letters is the same, just some of the accessories are on the left instead of the right. Which I'm sure right-handers or left-handers both have to get used to if they use them frequently. And you can put the mouse on either side. Sounds like one of those "For the man who has everything" gift ideas.
I would have loved to see Gintonic's granddad cutting cloth or writing. I expect at fittings he had two pieces of chalk and did both sides of the customer at the same time!

right handed mouse with right handed settings

that is what i do and always have done since i first used a mouse in 1988. I use an ergonomic mouse (and keyboard) that supports my right wrist - you can only get righted handed versions

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/m...ktop/8xk02kz6k69w?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

when i was teaching novice computer users in the early 1990s some students did odd things with their mice on an Apple Mac 512. Once student thought the only way to move the cursor was to put the mouse on the screen and move it around. Another (who used to be an audio typist) put it on the floor, and thought it was a footswitch (to start and stop recordings they were transcribing)......

i am left handed and i hate left handed keyboards. I mouse with my right hand, use the cursor keys and keypad with my right hand.

My granddad was truly ambidextrous, he was a master tailor he used scissors equally well with both hands. His hand writing was identical with left or right hand; my gran always claimed it enabled him to fill out two betting slips at a time in the bookies

I'm left handed too, and also use the mouse with my right hand.

I've never come across a left handed keyboard - lots weird and totally wrong to me.

I'm just thinking through left hand hovering over cut/paste operations (ctrl-c and v) and then how do you cursor around a document if the arrow keys are on the left? You'd need to remap all the editing commands as they are based around left handed use.

BTW, i'm left handed.

I have to admit I had no idea there was such a thing. I’d not have put up with any such nonsense from users back when I was an IT manager!

Surely it only applies to the numeric keypad, which seems to have fallen out of favour these days for reasons I can not understand. I’d hate to do even a few lines of accounts etc without one. It’s a key reason I’ve stuck with my old-school IBM Model M rather than modern small-footprint ‘clicky’ equivalents. I guess the most logical solution would be a nice small-footprint keyboard and a separate numeric keypad.

I'm left handed too, and also use the mouse with my right hand.

same here, almost everything with left hand here. think i was fortunate with schooling not to be made to use right hand

i can use my right hand a little more since retired, pressure off i suppose

Left handed here and use my left hand for the mouse. I won’t be changing my rather good clicky keyboard for the one linked to above.

Another keggy handed here, can mouse with either but use right as a preference. Not seen a LH keyboard, didn't realise they existed!

I'm another lefty. My wife, who's right-handed, uses a mouse in her left hand ever since we had just the one computer & I showed her how to use it.

Strangely, when it comes to using bats I'm right-handed, and apparently being dominant with your left yet playing golf right-handed gives you a great advantage when playing the game. Wonder why I'm completely crap at it then?

I've always been puzzled by why we use our less dominant hand to do the fiddly bit when we pick up guitars.

Strangely, when it comes to using bats I'm right-handed, and apparently being dominant with your left yet playing golf right-handed gives you a great advantage when playing the game. Wonder why I'm completely crap at it then?

I've always been puzzled by why we use our less dominant hand to do the fiddly bit when we pick up guitars.

Same here. I also play the guitar right handed. Which I think explains why I’m so crap at it.

I've used a "left handed" keyboard for decades. Not because I'm left handed.

In my case I was getting an RSI problem in one wrist from the combined use of a mouse and the keypad on the right. Switched to a left handed keyboard and the problem evaporated. Also a better quality keyboard all-round. Been using it on a string of different machines since. Even got a USB adaptor so I could.

This is defintely about ergonomics, the last thing I want to do is spend £100 on a keyboard. But I get an IT allowance, and being on the wider side of average and following whiplash in a car accident a few years ago it's uncomfortable with my right arm stretched at an angle. I don't want to completely give up on the number pad, so the other option is a tenkeyless board...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BKHP2NK/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

with wireless keypad for occasional use...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01H4PW8PS/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

but that seems a bit faffy and doesn't really fix the problem.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back