advertisement

Acrylic Platters on Rega Planar 3

Ewen1970

The Ocean Doesn't Want Me
My glass platter has a chip in it so was thinking of replacing.

What are the thoughts on the acrylic ones? Worth it or not?

Be interested to hear peoples thoughts on worthwhile upgrades to the old skull Regas.

Thx

E

Thanks guys, will check em out
On my old Planar 3 I tried about 3 different acrylic platters alongside the glass platter.
The character changes I would say, and it's more about how that fits in with your own preferences.
SRM tech do an acrylic platter mat. I was impressed with that. It might be worth a look at.

The character changes I would say, and it's more about how that fits in with your own preferences.

Is a change an improvement?

It's noteworthy that after years of development, Rega have not once chosen to use an acrylic platter, or any other relatively soft material. If it was better, don't you think they might?

Others do, ProJect for instance, but those decks don't sound like a Rega. Personally, I prefer the sound of Rega decks so if I wanted a softer sound I'd buy a different deck. That makes more sense than spending money you won't get back on 'upgrades'.

Is a change an improvement?

It's noteworthy that after years of development, Rega have not once chosen to use an acrylic platter, or any other relatively soft material. If it was better, don't you think they might?

Others do, ProJect for instance, but those decks don't sound like a Rega. Personally, I prefer the sound of Rega decks so if I wanted a softer sound I'd buy a different deck. That makes more sense than spending money you won't get back on 'upgrades'.

I think that the more sophisticated glass platter on the later Rega decks gave me some of those qualities I liked from the acrylic platter, without losing that Rega sonic signature.

I've still got a spare Audio Note arm, and that was better than the original arm, and didn't feel like a trade off. So maybe it depends on how well something is implemented...not sure.

My glass platter has a chip in it so was thinking of replacing.

Well if chip is too visible..?
I'd never personally put acrylic platter on a Rega.

Maybe an Achromat, Funk did some platters which looked like ceramic, no idea if these still available, believe thickness was 8-10-12mm ?

I have tried acrylic before and IMO it sounded different rather than better after prolonged listening and probably not worse either so some people could prefer it . I went back to the glass as it seems to give the rega sound which I preferred

I tried an aftermarket alloy Subplatter and Delrin platter on a Rega RP3, both items made a significant improvement, either gave as much an improvement as adding the Rega TT-PSU. HTH

Rega use Delrin on the entry level P1 on cost grounds but upgrade this to glass on on the Planar 3.

Are you sure it's Delrin? I've tried the P1 platter back to back with a 12mm glass one and the sonic signature is very similar. The glass is a lot heavier though so I'm sure speed stability will be better.

I don't think an Achromat would suit a Rega. Not tried it but had one for my LP12 and, thinking of the way it changed the sound, I think it would be the wrong direction for a Rega.

Are you sure it's Delrin? I've tried the P1 platter back to back with a 12mm glass one and the sonic signature is very similar. The glass is a lot heavier though so I'm sure speed stability will be better.

I don't think an Achromat would suit a Rega. Not tried it but had one for my LP12 and, thinking of the way it changed the sound, I think it would be the wrong direction for a Rega.

Might be phenolic.....

I've tried an Achromat on a Rega P25 and no, flat and dull compared to the regular felt.
Nice on a Techie though where it has the opposite effect.

HA!

Well I've grabbed a 3mm Achromat, so let's give that a try first and maybe see if I can grab a glass platter on eBay this weekend...

Thx all the same. Great to grab a range of ideas, but guess there's only way to find out!

Cheers

Ewen

I own a P3 and like it. I upgraded the sub platter and bought an acrylic platter. To me the acrylic platter with no mat is better than the glass/felt original. I still own the glass platter and I’ve swapped them back and forth a few times and I always go back to the acrylic.

The glass just looks fancier in the dealers window, same as the 18mm high gloss chipboard plinth with 1mm pvc edging, which What Hifi would have you believe is chosen because it dissipates energy at exactly the perfect rate and not because it costs about £1.75 in materials.

The glass just looks fancier in the dealers window, same as the 18mm high gloss chipboard plinth with 1mm pvc edging, which What Hifi would have you believe is chosen because it dissipates energy at exactly the perfect rate and not because it costs about £1.75 in materials.

They've just dropped the gloss finish on the P1, which I think is a mistake as it looks good. Whatever you say about their choices you can't take away from them the fact that they consistently field the best sounding turntables in their class. If that was easy, they'd have more competition.

They've just dropped the gloss finish on the P1, which I think is a mistake as it looks good. Whatever you say about their choices you can't take away from them the fact that they consistently field the best sounding turntables in their class. If that was easy, they'd have more competition.

like I say, I own a p3 and I like it. The fact that it sounds as good as it does for what it must cost to make is amazing!

advertisement

Back