advertisement

Post-Trump: Biden President Elect II (Trump tantrums, riots etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did the impeachment managers know about this before and if they did, why was it not used?

have they botched the impeachment?

I guess it makes no difference anyway because whatever evidence is presented the republican senators will vote to acquit.

If, as I suspect, Trump gets acquitted, the Dems can use this against the GOP for years to come: "Look, they enabled and supported an attempted fascist coup. A vote for the Republicans is a vote for fascism."

On the other hand, acquittal sends out a very dangerous message: "Look, you can attempt to overthrow US democracy, and you'll get away with it."

If, as I suspect, Trump gets acquitted, the Dems can use this against the GOP for years to come: "Look, they enabled and supported an attempted fascist coup. A vote for the Republicans is a vote for fascism."

On the other hand, acquittal sends out a very dangerous message: "Look, you can attempt to overthrow US democracy, and you'll get away with it."
Yep, the 'precedent' that the GOP cite is the one where they are NOT allowed, in the future, to do anything, including insurrection, to keep power - basically they want to be given the green light to be able to kill democracy, whenever it's in their interests.
If Trump is acquitted, this is exactly what they will have achieved. Trump has given the GOP the roadmap for this. I'm sure the GOP see him as the crash dummy - let's see does he survive & what damage is inflicted.

Biden is a fool if he doesn't fight this to the bitter end for some short term political reasons

Did the impeachment managers know about this before and if they did, why was it not used?

have they botched the impeachment?

I guess it makes no difference anyway because whatever evidence is presented the republican senators will vote to acquit.

This is new reporting by CNN.

And far from botching it I think they have done a good job; they correctly split the constitutionality question, all the impeachment managers have been good (especially Raskin and Plaskett) and the resultant coverage has been digestible and high profile which will make a difference even if the conclusion is foregone.

What I think is important is that they, and especially Biden, use the behaviour of the Republicans to make the point that bipartisanship is basically done at this point because the GOP is self evidently not acting in good faith. If they are not going to do this then the argument about needing a trial to end quickly so they can get legislation passed goes away and they should do depositions and call witnesses, starting with McCarthy and inflict as much political damage as possible.

Witnesses approved by the Senate! All on hold now while they argue about who will be called and how depositions will work.

Witnesses approved by the Senate! All on hold now while they argue about who will be called and how depositions will work.

It seemed to me that the vote was on whether or not they could debate (and presumably then vote on) whether or not to call witnesses.

That’s some arcane level proceduralising!

PS, it was kind of fun to see an exchange as they were tallying the votes which essentially ran:

Senator: Hang on, what did we just vote on?

Chair: Shut up.

The Dems **** up their advantage, yet again, by not calling witnesses
Idiotic politicians - they deserve all they get - the GOP have just been given the green light to do a Trump on any election result they don't like in the future.

Good bye Dems - when GOP next get into power, you are doomed & probably rightly so as you stood by & allowed this to happen

Idiotic politicians - they deserve all they get - the GOP have just been given the green light to do a Trump on any election result they don't like in the future.

Good bye Dems - when GOP next get into power, you are doomed & probably rightly so as you stood by & allowed this to happen

I don’t think it mattered what the dems did or did not do, the republicans were going to vote to acquit come what may. There was not much they could do really.

I don’t think it mattered what the dems did or did not do, the republicans were going to vote to acquit come what may. There was not much they could do really.
That was also my impression. Some senators, including Cruz, conferred with Trump's lawyers, which is not according to Hoyle, because the Senate is supposed to listen impartially. But, as Cruz said, we all know how this will end. During the presentation of the prosecution case, many Republican senators weren't paying attention, or sometimes weren't even present, classic cases of "my mind is made up, please don't bother me with facts". Mitch McConnell, no less, who blamed Trump for the Capitol assault, has indicated that he will vote to acquit. However, the Democrats have put it all on the record, and there's now no escaping the record of Trump's utter villainy.

Difficult call - I think the Democrats were (rightly) concerned about the Republicans deliberately dragging this out for weeks so they could hit the democrats with the charge of playing politics during a pandemic.

Regarding future campaigning the democrats will always have the evidence of Trump attempting a coup and the GOP turning a blind eye. Besides it's a long time until the next elections - got to deal with COVID first.

I am very impressed with CNN's coverage of the GOP's defence tactical farce.

The lot em should be struck off and "Debarred" of their profession, imo.

Difficult call - I think the Democrats were (rightly) concerned about the Republicans deliberately dragging this out for weeks so they could hit the democrats with the charge of playing politics during a pandemic.

Regarding future campaigning the democrats will always have the evidence of Trump attempting a coup and the GOP turning a blind eye. Besides it's a long time until the next elections - got to deal with COVID first.
I don't think the GOP are going to be 'good boys' & going to allow Biden's cabinet to be fully confirmed & get behind plans to beat Covid, whether or not this hearing was ongoing?

There is going to be more evidence coming out which shows Trumps culpability & impeachability - calling witnesses would have allowed for the mounting pile of steaming sh1t building on top of Trump & the GOP.

Anyway, I believe the Dems always choose the wrong option because they have never faced up to who their enemy is & how low they will sink.

Just watch the fiasco that the GOP are going to make of the Dem's closing argument with objection after objection - if I'm wrong, I'll remove this bit afterwards ;)

Expected. It underscores the fact the Republican Party is now an extremist organisation, only seven of them not defending the indefensible. I suspect it makes the Democrats role easier come mid-terms etc as they just need to run personal attack ads with pictures of the various congressmen and the text ‘Proven Terrorist Sympathiser’, ‘Proud Boy’ or whatever. They have proven beyond all doubt that they place career and party above country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back