advertisement

Rega RP10/Aphelion or P10/Apheta3

Would you buy Rega RP10/Aphelion or P10/Apheta3

• Total voters
I can’t justify a P10; the P8 is better than most vinyl deserves IMHO. By which I mean that almost all of the time, variations in the quality of vinyl pressing and the like will be the limiting factor. Having owned many decent decks, the P8 betters them all and wasn’t the most expensive by a long shot. But the source material will be the limiting factor by far.

I can’t justify a P10; the P8 is better than most vinyl deserves IMHO. By which I mean that almost all of the time, variations in the quality of vinyl pressing and the like will be the limiting factor. Having owned many decent decks, the P8 betters them all and wasn’t the most expensive by a long shot. But the source material will be the limiting factor by far.
You could say the same thing about most of the audio chain. It’s the chasing of the impossible that keeps hifi companies in business;)

Following JTC comments above I just installed a mana sound clamp that was specially made for me by John Watson on my rega 3
Simply stunning !
The uplift in removing those big black blobs called “feet “needs to be heard
I am sorted :)

I just installed a Mana sound clamp that was specially made for me by John Watson on my rega 3. Simply stunning !

I have one under my Saturn-R CD player, which is only acting as a transport! I genuinely have no idea how it can do anything at all in that situation let alone do what it does. It's the most impressive Mana component I've ever heard.

I own a P8 (Nag 500) and older P9 (Orto Jub). P9 arm is rewired, while P8 is stock. Low profile record clamp on the P9 and Herbie's Audio record weight on the 8. Both are excellent and my preference is really LP based.

The big difference is the P9/10 VERY expensive ceramic platter (Silicon Carbide? Silicon Nitride? Aluminum Oxide?) vs. the tripple layer glass of the P8. In my experience, the right mat - I use Funk Achro topped with Extremephono Speed on both - makes the platter difference slim to none.

P9 is JUST neutral (and I expect P10 is more so still), while P8 has a VERY slight lower midrange emphasis consistent with the resonant profile of the glass platter.

I would describe the difference as audible (and worthwhile in a context of a high resolution audiophile system) but close to the realm of personal preference.

Yes I know what you mean I have got one under my rega Saturn which is also just a transport.

It makes no sense to me. I cannot understand how it can alter the sound of a box which is only putting out a digital stream. I can see how it might make it worse, by causing vibrations which make it harder for the laser to track, but I can't see how it could make it sound better.

Following JTC comments above I just installed a mana sound clamp that was specially made for me by John Watson on my rega 3
Simply stunning !
The uplift in removing those big black blobs called “feet “needs to be heard
I am sorted :)

picture?

Well I voted for option 1 and looks like I'm alone.

I've not heard either deck or cart so I'm going very much on a long history of using other Rega products, including a P9 for many years and describing what I expect to happen :)

At the top of the TT tree, I'm firmly of the view that progress within a range is very much incremental - I would expect a P10 to best the RP10 but I'd be gobsmacked if the different was night and day. With the cartridge however, well the Aphelion looks to be substantially different in many ways to advance the Rega MC art. I'd expect it be the more substantial upgrade.

With the cartridge however, well the Aphelion looks to be substantially different in many ways to advance the Rega MC art.

But it's a used cartridge, with an unknown amount a wear on it. I don't know what the rebuild cost is but I doubt it's trivial.

advertisement

Back