advertisement

Post-Trump: Biden President Elect II (Trump tantrums, riots etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not the audience and of course they should.
The whole world is the audience and every section of it will make their own interpretation of the proceedings and the verdict. Trump and his followers will be crowing and more confident after a not guilty verdict and I can’t see that it will do the Dems any good. Much as I would like to see him disgraced and put away it may have been more politically pragmatic to not go ahead.

Sadly the likely not guilty verdict will only enhance his standing with his followers. Maybe the Dem’s shouldn’t have bothered.

I suspect it will be very useful to have in the bank, e.g. come the mid-terms just run footage of the racism, riots and violence as attack ads against any senators or congressmen who effectively endorsed it. In any sane world the riot footage should be a gift to the Dems for a very long time.

The whole world is the audience and every section of it will make their own interpretation of the proceedings and the verdict. Trump and his followers will be crowing and more confident after a not guilty verdict and I can’t see that it will do the Dems any good. Much as I would like to see him disgraced and put away it may have been more politically pragmatic to not go ahead.

Can't agree. It's not about his base they are never going to wise up, this is about laying bare the choice Republican inclined voters face in full view of the world. It cannot do the Dems any harm it's their duty to impeach him. The fact that they have some amoral GOP who won't convict no matter what he does is neither here nor there, the Dems cannot possibly regard it as 'pragmatic' to not deal with him it would look weak. He faces more problems than this in terms of personal liability in the courts for years - the cowards in the GOP are actually banking on that doing their job for them.

I agree Steve. If the case against his Orangeness is laid out properly, then the GOP lose - Bigly - if they don't agree to impeachment.
They're heavily into damage limitation at this point, and their real problem is trying to find the best mid-term solution. Not an easy one for them, and one that the Democrats would be mad not to leverage to the full.

Something it seems nobody is exploiting.. unless I've missed it. The Orange Idiot spent all of his so-called 'Presidential' life on Twitter. Yet.. when..after he had spent months stoking an insurrection.. it actually happened.. the Cretin did not tweet one word.. and only decided to condemn his own idiot supporters the next day.. or was it even later?

So.. even if it is arguable that he did not encourage the ILLEGAL insurrection. which he most obviously did.. then it was not only within his power.. but was also his DUTY to end it. All of the evidence I have seen and read points to him doing the exact opposite, even to the extent of preventing a proper response from the National Guard and others.

As far as I am concerned, he is personally and directly responsible for the deaths of all those killed that day in the Capitol.

He should be in gaol. For life.

So far the Democrats have done an excellent job of linking Trumps pronouncements with insurrection. In one clip he was boasting that all he had to do was give a wink and the crowd would do his will, there are many more that demonstrate the Trump has been working up to insurrection for months and has been instrumental in instigating the lawless attempt to overthrow democracy.

It will be interesting to see the Republican defence later today

I suspect it will be very useful to have in the bank, e.g. come the mid-terms just run footage of the racism, riots and violence as attack ads against any senators or congressmen who effectively endorsed it. In any sane world the riot footage should be a gift to the Dems for a very long time.
They have the riot footage already without an attempted impeachment. I’m more concerned about the endorsement of a non gui,ty outcome.

They have the riot footage already without an attempted impeachment. I’m more concerned about the endorsement of a non gui,ty outcome.

I understand what you mean, but from what I can tell Trump’s base are radicalised/a religious cult. They are absolutely entrenched, absolutely unswayable. They are the Taliban. The voters who are shiftable will hopefully be repulsed by Republican senators and congressmen effectively endorsing a far-right terrorist act.

So far the Democrats have done an excellent job of linking Trumps pronouncements with insurrection. In one clip he was boasting that all he had to do was give a wink and the crowd would do his will, there are many more that demonstrate the Trump has been working up to insurrection for months and has been instrumental in instigating the lawless attempt to overthrow democracy.

It will be interesting to see the Republican defence later today

The defence will just carry on arguing that the impeachment is unconstitutional, even thought the senate just voted that it isn't.

I've heard it reported that only two of the 50 GOP senators are up for election in the next two years Murkowski & Krapo - so even the excuse being used that they are using political thinking is crap.

I understand what you mean, but from what I can tell Trump’s base are radicalised/a religious cult. They are absolutely entrenched, absolutely unswayable. They are the Taliban. The voters who are shiftable will hopefully be repulsed by Republican senators and congressmen effectively endorsing a far-right terrorist act.
Let’s hope so... maybe I lack faith in the general American electorate.

Sorry to say that the Republicans have come back strong with a series of Democrats including House Managers using the language of fighting.

The charge against Trump is Abuse of Power, but they’ve failed to nail that with an unlawful act.

We all know Trump is as guilty as sin, but finding a smoking gun isn’t happening.

Perhaps if Mitch McConnell does the right thing, a few more Republicans might vote the right way too, but it’s looking like an acquittal so far.

Sorry to say that the Republicans have come back strong with a series of Democrats including House Managers using the language of fighting.

The charge against Trump is Abuse of Power, but they’ve failed to nail that with an unlawful act.

We all know Trump is as guilty as sin, but finding a smoking gun isn’t happening.

Perhaps if Mitch McConnell does the right thing, a few more Republicans might vote the right way too, but it’s looking like an acquittal so far.

They didn't deal with the question in hand. To be honest his acquittal is still a big problem for them. The more lawsuits Trump faces, the worse it will age as a choice. The GOP had a chance to at least limit damage by finally distancing themselves from the worst excesses, they seem determined not to. I'm not sure that helps them in the longer term.

They didn't deal with the question in hand. To be honest his acquittal is a big problem for them. The more lawsuits Trump faces, the worse it will age as a choice. The GOP had a chance to at least limit damage, they seem determined not to.
I could live with Trump not being impeached if this signalled the start of the decline of the GOP.

It’s not like there aren’t ample opportunities for lawsuits to get him by other means.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back