advertisement

Krell K-300i Integrated Amp

Suffolk Tony

Aim low, achieve your goals, avoid disappointment.
Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone's either tried or bought one of these. On the face of things, with the extras, it does seem to be a very comprehensive one-box solution.

My previous Krell experiences were a bit rocky, but that was donkey's years ago. I notice the company changed hands & its outlook a few years ago, and looking at the specification alone it appears a bit of a bargain, in Krell terms.

On spec it looks like a solid performer much like the Hegel H590. Probably it all comes down to what you like soundwise.

Not much information on the Krell K-300i. There are some experiences on the Audiogon forum where the K-300i was compared to Hegel H390. The Krell was said to have better dynamics, warmer and more body with a huge soundstage. The Hegel slightly more refined than the Krell but doesn't have the dynamics.

Generally the newer Krells such as the K-300i are preferred over older Krells such as the KAV-300i for overall quality or musicality. It appears that the focus is now on D'agostino products after he left Krell. The latest Progression integrated was very much talked about now (slightly mentioned on the YouTube video earlier) but not sure how they compare. Price-wise they are in a different league though..

Yes, one my good friends has had one for decades. its still in regular use. I also demoed the 400i in 2006/2007 both are excellent and very punchy.

Oops.... i was referring to the KAV-300i form the 90's .... https://www.stereophile.com/integratedamps/809/index.html
I've listened to the KAV-300i in my system many years ago, like 20? It's good, very powerful with a raw energy but unrefined. KAV-400xi is said to sound warmer.

I've listened to the KAV-300i in my system many years ago, like 20? It's good, very powerful with a raw energy but unrefined. KAV-400xi is said to sound warmer.

I use a KAV-400xi in my study system and it's a very capable and powerful as well as seeming to be pretty neutral performer. It's the best amp I've used by a considerable margin. It was an awful lot cheaper than something like the K-300i though, as I think the KAV-400xi was about £2500 new (and I paid under £1K for mine 2nd hand), compared to more like £9K for the K-300i.

Tony

I haven’t heard this latest version of the Krell integrated myself as they are rebuilding their dealer network, but it is getting some very good reviews here in the U.S for what that’s worth. Stereophile had it as a finalist for amplification product for the year 2020 (I know, I know!). You can read their review on their website. Photos show a nice internal layout and a very large toroidal transformer. Got to admit, this one intrigued me as well. Have fun.

Right, I missed that...

No you didn't - I fixed my earlier response once you'd pointed it out.

Wow, I like the look of the old brushed aluminum KAV-300i a lot more than the current K-300i!

Looking at the spec of the K-300i compared to my KAV-400xi then it's hard to see where the additional £6K or so has gone.

I had a 400xi, bought new for £2700.
Good amp, but not the most romantic, plenty of power, smooth but definitely not rich sounding.

Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone's either tried or bought one of these. On the face of things, with the extras, it does seem to be a very comprehensive one-box solution.

My previous Krell experiences were a bit rocky, but that was donkey's years ago. I notice the company changed hands & its outlook a few years ago, and looking at the specification alone it appears a bit of a bargain, in Krell terms.
Tony, there's a positive review by Ed Selley over on AV Forums, and he seems pretty level headed when reviewing equipment - he was impressed.

https://www.avforums.com/reviews/krell-k-300i-integrated-amp-review.17731

I use a KAV-400xi in my study system and it's a very capable and powerful as well as seeming to be pretty neutral performer. It's the best amp I've used by a considerable margin. It was an awful lot cheaper than something like the K-300i though, as I think the KAV-400xi was about £2500 new (and I paid under £1K for mine 2nd hand), compared to more like £9K for the K-300i.
Krell amps even the smaller integrateds have always been some sort of a powerhouse. I recall pitting the KAV-300i against a Yba Integre and Plinius SA-100Mk3 during the time I spent with it. One of the aspects that stood out, apart from the raw and dynamic delivery is the bass. The bass is just hard hitting with a solid wallop and drive. The speakers are energised and come to life when driven by the Krell. In contrast, other amps sound soft or muddled in comparison. The YBA is the total opposite, perhaps due to the much lower wattage or character. It doesn't have the dynamics and bass drive of the Krell KAV-300i but it compensates with better poise and refinement. Can't point a finger with these amps as they do things differently and all are good in their own ways. Matching to speakers and listening preferences are key to attaining good results.

I am sure the KAV-400XI will be equally good if not better than the 300i. From what I gather, the 400XI is more appealing than the 300i with its warmer and more refined presentation. The 300i sounds raw and unprocessed which may suit warmer speakers with soft or rolled off highs.

Tony, there's a positive review by Ed Selley over on AV Forums, and he seems pretty level headed when reviewing equipment - he was impressed.

https://www.avforums.com/reviews/krell-k-300i-integrated-amp-review.17731
Thanks for this. I guess the only thing, in my quest for a single-box solution, is that the reviewer used a Chord Dave/Mscaler to compare with the Krell's on-board DAC, the former was rather better. Not really a surprise I suppose, but as that's the same DAC combination I use, it would maybe make sense, were I to be interested enough to try this amp, to go for the plain integrated without the digital extras. From my experience with my current Accuphase, it might well sound better without the additional gubbins inside.

advertisement

Back