advertisement

Tannoy HPD compatibility

slammed56

pfm Member
Hi Guys , I’m looking for a bit of advice from the more experienced Tannoy users .
Its all new to me as I’ve been into flea power amps and horns for longer than I care to mention but I decided a few years ago to setup a second system based around Lockwood speakers when I ever I found a pair
I have been on the look out for a suitable amp now to partner with my recently acquired Lockwood Majors . Currently fitted with some newly re-coned by Lockwood HPD385’s
My 8w SET amp has no chance of dealing with the 15” cones , I’ve dug out my GM70 powered SET and it sounds ok but I still feel it’s not ideal at getting the best out of these marvellous speakers
I keep reading good things about using Radford amps with Big Tannoys but most of the stuff I’ve read seems to be referring to the Monitor Golds and not the HPDs . There’s a nice looking STA25 up for sale at the moment , I’m just a bit apprehensive to jump on it without being 100% that it will be a good match with my speakers
Anyone using one with 15” HPDs that can confirm it’s got enough power to do these justice ?

The STA25 is a brilliant match for 15" HPD's and more than powerful enough.

I own both, that's how I know.

Hi Guys , I’m looking for a bit of advice from the more experienced Tannoy users .
Its all new to me as I’ve been into flea power amps and horns for longer than I care to mention but I decided a few years ago to setup a second system based around Lockwood speakers when I ever I found a pair
I have been on the look out for a suitable amp now to partner with my recently acquired Lockwood Majors . Currently fitted with some newly re-coned by Lockwood HPD385’s
My 8w SET amp has no chance of dealing with the 15” cones , I’ve dug out my GM70 powered SET and it sounds ok but I still feel it’s not ideal at getting the best out of these marvellous speakers
I keep reading good things about using Radford amps with Big Tannoys but most of the stuff I’ve read seems to be referring to the Monitor Golds and not the HPDs . There’s a nice looking STA25 up for sale at the moment , I’m just a bit apprehensive to jump on it without being 100% that it will be a good match with my speakers
Anyone using one with 15” HPDs that can confirm it’s got enough power to do these justice ?

I have LFD Amp and couple of Quads for our demo room at Lockwood's

advertisement

Back