advertisement

Post-Trump: Biden President Elect II (Trump tantrums, riots etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are any others eating their lunch or is it total decline? Murdoch will always pull a plug when the flames start licking his toes. He did with the News Of The World in the UK.
Murdoch is expert in scurrying away and keeping the bulk of his coin intact. Paint up a new shop sign, reshuffle the staff and get down to the old business of lies and defamation once again. Here Rebekkahh never went away, Rupert just made sure others carried the can for her behaviour. The world is going to be a better place with him gone.

Fox News ratings are down, lawsuits loom large, and they just fired Lou Dobbs.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/05/media/lou-dobbs-fox-show-canceled/index.html

Long may their decline continue!

I’m delighted to see this. If a clear precedent can be set in America where those spreading propaganda lies and hate are held successfully to legal account for their actions and fully pay the price one would hope it would eventually spread over here.

We are still very much in the dark days of our Tea Party/Trump trajectory having suffered catastrophic economic damage and social division from the far-right Brexit project and currently two Fox News style alt-right propaganda TV channels are looking likely to fuel the flames along with the effective removal of media regulation assuming Tory hatemonger Paul Dacre obtains the post at Ofcom. Truly disturbing times. Britain Trump clearly wants his Goebbels. Thankfully it looks like America has now stepped back from the brink of fascism. I’m not convinced we have that ability here.

@Tony L

Not just Fox but CNN too - their ratings are down 44% since Trump left office, with AT&T reportedly looking to sell. They’ve already stopped the CNN airport TV contract.

A lot of journalists and Twitter bloggers have made a career out of following Trump and commenting on him and are ironically quite bereft now he’s gone.

Ireland was once a country where Catholic religion was intimately entwined in it's constitution & where the Catholic religious community controlled schools, hospitals (part of the plan to control the people from cradle to grave) & had an undue influence in government policy. Apart from miracle cures in Knock, moving statues & the usual collection of idiots & idiocy the country still had a majority of sensible people. We all experienced the physical & mental abuse meted out by some members of that Catholic religious community in schools & elsewhere & understood the corporate thinking that allowed such abuse to occur. So it didn't come as any surprise when the widespread revelations of child sexual abuse by some priests & the churches cover-up of this, the various Magdalen laundries style institutes where unmarried mothers were imprisoned as slaves & they & their babies, mistreated.

The depth of hypocrisy demonstrated by so called Christian religions is always gobsmacking. The US Senate & House are the epitome of just such Hypocrisy but it's the hypocrisy of the number of US citizens who vote for & support these politicians that is the real gobsmacking fact.

Ireland is no longer under the yoke of the catholic control, etc. which may have something to do with our pagan history?
The foundation of the US is based on religious fundamentalism which is still seen in it's very fabric to this day.

This, to my mind, means the 'US experiment' was flawed from the beginning & is doomed.

BTW, that phrase 'US experiment' is just a disingenuous way of saying "conquest & genocide" The US are adept at coming up with phrases which skirt reality, just like "truthful hyperbole", "collateral damage" or the latest one I hear for near starvation "food insecurity"

Bill Maher says it like it is - religious fanaticism in the USA is the core reason for why sensible people see the USA as a mess of illogical stupidity - once fanatical religion comes in the window logic goes out the door
I see HBO has blocked this video - I believe it is a crucial message so here's a extract transcript of the video starting
"New rule, as long as we’re going to go through the trouble of another impeachment trial, we might as well be honest about what it’s really about. The events of January 6th were a faith-based initiative,” Maher said. “And Trumpism is a Christian nationalist movement that believes Trump was literally sent from heaven to save them.”​
https://news2.droolindog.net/2021/02/05/qanon-insurrection/

Yes it's a bit like sending Al Capone down for unpaid taxes.

I think this would be the best way to take down many on the far right. It's apolitical, and since the far right loves their authority, rule of law and personal responsibilities (for the little people) etc. what better way to take them out of circulation than to successfully prosecute them for failing to follow mundane laws like a responsible citizen should? One can hope this might also tarnish their reputation in the eyes of many of their followers, who have to follow the laws and pay their taxes.

I think it's much more inflammatory to use charges such as treason and sedition.

@Tony L

Not just Fox but CNN too - their ratings are down 44% since Trump left office, with AT&T reportedly looking to sell. They’ve already stopped the CNN airport TV contract.

A lot of journalists and Twitter bloggers have made a career out of following Trump and commenting on him and are ironically quite bereft now he’s gone.

It's been rather peaceful, not having to deal with all the noise and the outrage-of-the-day. Or multiple outrages.

If a news infrastructure has built up around reporting and reacting to the noise from Trump, a realignment will have to come when the noise stops. Comedians will have to search for new sources of material too.

I think this would be the best way to take down many on the far right. It's apolitical, and since the far right loves their authority, rule of law and personal responsibilities (for the little people) etc. what better way to take them out of circulation than to successfully prosecute them for failing to follow mundane laws like a responsible citizen should? One can hope this might also tarnish their reputation in the eyes of many of their followers, who have to follow the laws and pay their taxes.

I think it's much more inflammatory to use charges such as treason and sedition.
Much as I'd love to see trump and his Ilk prosecuted for his most grievous wrongs I think you are probably right. It's a less divisive approach, (although they would still feel picked on) more relateable and less political.

I see HBO has blocked this video - I believe it is a crucial message so here's a extract transcript of the video starting
"New rule, as long as we’re going to go through the trouble of another impeachment trial, we might as well be honest about what it’s really about. The events of January 6th were a faith-based initiative,” Maher said. “And Trumpism is a Christian nationalist movement that believes Trump was literally sent from heaven to save them.”​
https://news2.droolindog.net/2021/02/05/qanon-insurrection/

There's a very good article addressing exactly these points on Politico.com dated 4th Feb, for those who can access it:

https://www.politico.com/news/magaz...ristian-extremism-nationalism-violence-466034

Much as I'd love to see trump and his Ilk prosecuted for his most grievous wrongs I think you are probably right. It's a less divisive approach, (although they would still feel picked on) more relateable and less political.
Much less martyr-making.

It is astonishing that a country that landed on the moon over 50 years ago, is at the absolute cutting edge of science, technology etc, is still blighted and held to ransom by its stone-age Taliban-grade religious nutters. Just incomprehensible really.

Democracy has failure modes.

Last month, the NBC News poll asked voters whether they had positive, negative, neutral or no views of QAnon. A mere 2% held positive views. The rest were either negative (42%), neutral (11%), or weren't sure or didn't know (45%).

So 2% of the population are wack jobs, 11% will tolerate the wack jobs, and 45% are too stupid to pay attention. Hmm...

Inflammatory to who - the crazzies? Why should a genuinely criminal series of actions be ignored because the same people who backed it/were involved in it/support it, will be inflamed?

I think what you meant was - it is too difficult to 'convict' - dodging taxes is far easier to prove?

Face facts, the Dems are going to be accused of inflammatory actions, no matter what they do - you need to understand the enemy (the GOP are an internal domestic enemy - not a political party) that your facing.

BTW, can anyone understand the logic of Liz Cheney not voting to oust WTG? It strikes me as cult thinking or an attempt to save her GOP political skin? Although being the daughter of Cheney does explain some of this

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back