advertisement

Something interesting about the new Spendor Classic 4/5

Spent more time with the 3/1s. They're great speakers, but I prefer the 4/5s overall for my personal preferences. Primarily I find them more engaging and fun to listen to, which comes down to a quicker transient response, slightly better imaging and a tighter, more snappy presentation. They really excel in semi near field too, just disappearing into space.

Thanks Goat. This helps in my decision/options.
How far from the speakers do you sit?
Omer.

Yeah I just picked up a set of second-hand Tab 10s and they sound great to me. The more I play them, the more I like them... and this is on a desktop without even proper stands or isolation. I was also looking at Spendor 4/5 and P3SER but managed to pick these up second hand at really good deal.

I've owned the P3ESR and the Spendor S3/5 and prefer the Tablette 10's hands down.

I haven’t owned the little Spendor’s though I listened to them many times and enjoyed them. I did own both the P3’s and Tab 10’s. I enjoyed both for their strengths. In the end I sold the ProAc’s.

Bit of a tangent, but to compare them against another speaker, I also had a home demo of ATC SCM11 over the weekend, as when I bought the 4/5’s (following a store demo), the ATC’s were a very close runner up at the time. So again, for the sake of curiosity, I thought a home demo was sensible.

I’d say the ATC’s have three main advantages.

They are perfect in the bass region. Like the 4/5’s in terms of articulation, tightness and integration, but they dig a little deeper. Not much deeper, but noticeable all the same. On funk records, they are incredible. Still, it’s quite amazing how big and authorititive the 4/5’s sound in comparison (say 90%), despite being half the cabinet volume.

They also pick out and project a bit more detail across the frequency range, most noticeably in the mids. Little intricacies pop out of the mix, which can be surprising at times.

Lastly, I’d say they have a more solid-sound, in the sense of no cabinet coloration.

However, the ATC’s are also somewhat more forward. That extra, precise detailing in the mids can be a bit tiring and the treble is subtly more pronounced and less silky than the 4/5’s. So in essence, they are less forgiving on brighter, rougher recordings. The 4/5’s are just as detailed, but smooth rough edges a bit, and the soundstage (and details) stand a bit further back, meaning they are a more comfortable, inviting listen. It’s not that the ATC’s are rough sounding – they’re really well balanced and neutral. Treble is of a decent quality, it’s just that the 4/5’s are particularly smooth.

Tonally they are pretty similar – voices and instruments sound fantastic on both. The Spendor’s edge it on realism and emotional response.

Nearfield, at say 6ft away, the 4/5’s come into their own and disappear more, whereas the ATC’s are a bit forward for my tastes. I find more comfortable listening to the ATC’s 8ft away, but at that point the perceived bass drops off to below what the 4/5’s offer (from 6ft away), and are no longer as involving.

Lastly, the 4/5’s are much more slimline and domestically friendly, with nicer cabinet finish. They ATC’s a pretty large and imposing in comparison in my bedroom setup.

They’re equally talented in my view, but have subtle difference. Overall, personal preference is for the 4/5’s, but it’s close.

Update on Spendor importer: Spendor canned their old importer and is now with Sound Org in Texas. This speaker is now $2495 - too much by about $500.

Update on Spendor importer: Spendor canned their old importer and is now with Sound Org in Texas. This speaker is now $2495 - too much by about $500.

Why do you think that? That's about what the cheapest P3ESR used to(?) go for. All the various new LS3/5A's, and XD P3ESR's, are going for well north of $3k.

Why do you think that? That's about what the cheapest P3ESR used to(?) go for. All the various new LS3/5A's, and XD P3ESR's, are going for well north of $3k.

The previous Spendor model the S3/5R2 (or something like that) was $1900. I think Spendor took a look at all the over-priced LS3/5a clones and said 'lookie here, we gotta get us some of that!'.

And BTW, the 'Mobile Fidelity' version of the Falcon LS3/5a is $1995. That is a real honest to goodness 15 ohm LS3/5a with real KEF drivers.

The Spendor 4/5 UK price is £1600, so very significantly below the Falcons. The Tories have massively over-complicated VAT with their Brexit idiocy and lack of trade deals so prices on all sides will go up hugely. I know of US companies that are now no longer dealing with the UK as it just isn’t worth the effort anymore.

PS Spendor always underpriced their mini-monitor IMO, IIRC the S3/5R was only about £800 and it is a ridiculously good speaker that has never not been in the Harbeth/ProAc class to my ears. It is now priced more in line with the competition.

The previous Spendor model the S3/5R2 (or something like that) was $1900. I think Spendor took a look at all the over-priced LS3/5a clones and said 'lookie here, we gotta get us some of that!'.

And BTW, the 'Mobile Fidelity' version of the Falcon LS3/5a is $1995. That is a real honest to goodness 15 ohm LS3/5a with real KEF drivers.

Fair points.

Well, I'm supposed to be getting a set of 4/5's for home demo in a couple of weeks, so I'll be able to see if they're competitive with P3ESR's or otherwise a decent value. As always, the fun part!

Fair points.

Well, I'm supposed to be getting a set of 4/5's for home demo in a couple of weeks, so I'll be able to see if they're competitive with P3ESR's or otherwise a decent value. As always, the fun part!

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts when you've demoed.

PS Spendor always underpriced their mini-monitor IMO, IIRC the S3/5R was only about £800 and it is a ridiculously good speaker that has never not been in the Harbeth/ProAc class to my ears. It is now priced more in line with the competition.
Agreed.

Wait a minute, isn't the free market supposed to work where some stuff is overpriced and someone else lowers their price they all lower their price? Yeah, didn't think so. Eventually the lower priced company raises its price.

Bit of a tangent, but to compare them against another speaker, I also had a home demo of ATC SCM11 over the weekend, as when I bought the 4/5’s (following a store demo), the ATC’s were a very close runner up at the time. So again, for the sake of curiosity, I thought a home demo was sensible.

I’d say the ATC’s have three main advantages.

They are perfect in the bass region. Like the 4/5’s in terms of articulation, tightness and integration, but they dig a little deeper. Not much deeper, but noticeable all the same. On funk records, they are incredible. Still, it’s quite amazing how big and authorititive the 4/5’s sound in comparison (say 90%), despite being half the cabinet volume.

They also pick out and project a bit more detail across the frequency range, most noticeably in the mids. Little intricacies pop out of the mix, which can be surprising at times.

Lastly, I’d say they have a more solid-sound, in the sense of no cabinet coloration.

However, the ATC’s are also somewhat more forward. That extra, precise detailing in the mids can be a bit tiring and the treble is subtly more pronounced and less silky than the 4/5’s. So in essence, they are less forgiving on brighter, rougher recordings. The 4/5’s are just as detailed, but smooth rough edges a bit, and the soundstage (and details) stand a bit further back, meaning they are a more comfortable, inviting listen. It’s not that the ATC’s are rough sounding – they’re really well balanced and neutral. Treble is of a decent quality, it’s just that the 4/5’s are particularly smooth.

Tonally they are pretty similar – voices and instruments sound fantastic on both. The Spendor’s edge it on realism and emotional response.

Nearfield, at say 6ft away, the 4/5’s come into their own and disappear more, whereas the ATC’s are a bit forward for my tastes. I find more comfortable listening to the ATC’s 8ft away, but at that point the perceived bass drops off to below what the 4/5’s offer (from 6ft away), and are no longer as involving.

Lastly, the 4/5’s are much more slimline and domestically friendly, with nicer cabinet finish. They ATC’s a pretty large and imposing in comparison in my bedroom setup.

They’re equally talented in my view, but have subtle difference. Overall, personal preference is for the 4/5’s, but it’s close.

Interesting view.

I have p3esr 40th, falcon ls3/5a, Graham ls6 (kind of equivalent to classic 3/1) and atc scm 11. Heard 4/5 at the distributor's store.

I believe all ls3/5a variants are inherently 90% similar with one another, and if that is really the case, I think atc scm11 project a larger soundstage than ls3/5a (or in this case 4/5). Try playing a quartet with both speakers and you will see that ATC puts out a wider sound stage. I've not personally listened for soundstage depth, I don't find it very important actually.

But I agree with you that 4/5's midrange is more engaging, emotive and real. Yet, I find these qualities to be really good only if you are playing acoustics or folk or jazz, basically anything more 'analogue' sounding. For other genres like hip hop, pop, metal, movies and basically any sound that is produced on a computer and not actual instruments (around 90% of modern music), the dynamic range and deeper frequency response of ATC SCM11 makes it much more versatile and well-rounded than 4/5. I personally don't find the treble bright, though I agree it is definitely more forward than 4/5.

Last edited:
The problem with trying to compare an LS3/5A type speaker with the ATCs is they each shine with an entirely different type of amplifier.

The problem with trying to compare an LS3/5A type speaker with the ATCs is they each shine with an entirely different type of amplifier.

yeah, you are absolutely right.

I've never had the chance to try all my BBC speakers with amp that suits them the most - tube or at least class A SS amp. Yet, I've kind of max out the capability out of ATC by pairing them with ATC amp or Hegel (on a side note, Hegel is a better match with ATC speakers than ATC's own amp).

Well, I guess I may never get to try it with tube amp considering I'm eco-friendly and staying in a tropical country.

Just out of sheer curiosity, of the other recent 3/5 variants Spendor has made (S3/5, S3/5se, S3/5R, S3/5R2, etc. etc. have I left any out?) which one sounds the most like an LS3/5A?

Reason I ask is, I know of someone selling a pair of one of those variants for fairly low money. :)

Last edited:
Just out of sheer curiosity, of the other recent 3/5 variants Spendor has made (S3/5, S3/5se, S3/5R, S3/5R2, etc. etc. have I left any out?) which one sounds the most like an LS3/5A?

Reason I ask is, I know of someone selling a pair of one of those for fairly low money. :)

Does anyone know how a real ls3/5a sounds like at all? Perhaps i'm too young or poor for that conversation.

advertisement

Back