advertisement

Music Books

Just done with these. Both pretty good. Quite a few anecdotes.
OH. Not allowed to post links. I had such a wonderful post going.

Well, its
The Haçienda: How Not to Run a Club / Peter Hook
Telling Stories / Tim Burgess

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I've been reading this. It's actually a fascinating overview of live music at the BBC.

51VyIZmUrrL._SX393_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Stephen

I imagine a fair number of forum users users on here have fond memories of lost weekends losing our shit to the “guvnor”, I am, of course highlighting the musical genius that was Andrew Weatherall and the sonic delights he introduced us all to.

https://bleep.com/merch/210606-jockey-slut-andrew-weatherall-a-jockey-slut-tribute-

I had the pleasure of booking “the guvnor” for a few events/gigs and there was not a single experience that stands above all others, he was a true and genuine “gentleman” to deal with and always, always made time available to speak and converse with everyone and anyone that wanted to chat, whether that be organisers behind the decks/backstage or random punters in the crowd - he treated everyone with dignity and respect and the musical community is bereft at losing such a character.

One of the most enjoyable books I have read of late is "The Blue Moment" by Richard Williams published in 2009. Whilst not as in-depth as Ashley Kahn's masterpiece on the making of "Kind of Blue" the interest (for me) is in the album's ongoing influence on both jazz and rock.

I had the pleasure of booking “the guvnor” for a few events/gigs and there was not a single experience that stands above all others, he was a true and genuine “gentleman” to deal with and always, always made time available to speak and converse with everyone and anyone that wanted to chat, whether that be organisers behind the decks/backstage or random punters in the crowd - he treated everyone with dignity and respect and the musical community is bereft at losing such a character.

I was tasked with setting up his decks for an event a while back and he was absolutely lovely - just super friendly and chilled. And happy to hang around and chat for ages afterwards - I've never seen so many middle-aged men queuing for selfies!

Another recent purchase I have found useful (in conjunction with Tidal) is "Between Sound and Space" which is described as an ECM Records primer by Tyran Grillo.

As suggested in the description, it is purely a series of mini reviews of various ECM releases but is very useful to ECM fans. Not cheap as it is posted from Columbia but a worthwhile purchase.

Another recent purchase I have found useful (in conjunction with Tidal) is "Between Sound and Space" which is described as an ECM Records primer by Tyran Grillo.

As suggested in the description, it is purely a series of mini reviews of various ECM releases but is very useful to ECM fans. Not cheap as it is posted from Columbia but a worthwhile purchase.

It's a website too https://ecmreviews.com/

I've been reading this. It's actually a fascinating overview of live music at the BBC.

51VyIZmUrrL._SX393_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Stephen

This one was the second of Garner's books on the topic. Heavier on narrative, and with the focus on Peel.

The previous volume, lighter on narrative, and with more listings information, which covered BBC sessions for all shows, not just Peel, was ;

1497974.jpg

Good morning, I recently bought a MoFi copy of "Blonde on Blonde" so as an extra treat also ordered Daryl Sanders book "That Thin Wild Mercury Sound" which is an in-depth review of the recording of the album in Nashville.

I am sure the Dylanologists on here will have read this volume years ago and I thought I already knew a lot of Dylan legend and myth but with the MoFi vinyl revealing MUCH more detail than my old CBS double album I found the book purchase to be doubly rewarding particularly when you listen for the subtle changes outlined in the text and know how and why they came about.

A shelf display rather than a loft keeper issue.

advertisement

Back