advertisement

Yamaha Amps which are the best ?

Rosie

pfm Member
Good evening
I've recently changed the kitchen system at rosie towers . I have a Yamaha Midi system from the late 80's ?
It's a RX-V10 reciver with the matching CDX-10 cd player , both titanium finish and it's been a bit of a revelation . I'm realy enjoying it , sound is open, clean, detailed, agile fast and fun to listen to Mrs rosie is very happy . The reciver is a AV amp with outputs for front centre rear and for a powered sub .
Or Main A and or B which is how I suspect most UK owners used it , I'm geussing it's got a big shared power supply and I'm only using one stereo channel , A . It's conected up with Chord Chrysalis and QED 79 stand .
I'm now looking for a AX-10 amp .

Any body got any idea what the difference between the CDX-9 and the CDX-10 is ?
Is there a Yamaha oldie gear web-site where can learn more about Yamaha ?
If their midi systems are this good the full sized gear of similar vintage should be phenomenal what Amps , intergrated and pre and power should I be investigating ?

Thank You
Martin

Good evening
I've recently changed the kitchen system at rosie towers . I have a Yamaha Midi system from the late 80's ?
It's a RX-V10 reciver with the matching CDX-10 cd player , both titanium finish and it's been a bit of a revelation . I'm realy enjoying it , sound is open, clean, detailed, agile fast and fun to listen to Mrs rosie is very happy . The reciver is a AV amp with outputs for front centre rear and for a powered sub .
Or Main A and or B which is how I suspect most UK owners used it , I'm geussing it's got a big shared power supply and I'm only using one stereo channel , A . It's conected up with Chord Chrysalis and QED 79 stand .

If their midi systems are this good the full sized gear of similar vintage should be phenomenal what Amps , intergrated and pre and power should I be investigating ?

Thank You
Martin
Couple on eBay
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=303834161316

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

http://www.thevintageknob.org/yamaha-C-1.html

http://www.thevintageknob.org/yamaha-B-1.html

http://www.thevintageknob.org/yamaha-CA-2010.html

The C-1/B-1 (and C-2/B-2) use proprietary MOS-FET transistors that are basically unobtainium. So finding an original and working example would be somewhat difficult. The CA-2010 is probably a safer bet, but good ones don't come up often for obvious reasons. Their owners tend to keep them.

The posh cool kids at my art school rode Yamaha ' fizzies ' FS1E 's ,my mate on our Photography course would park his black Norton Comando in amongst them !

Thanks James and Amber , really useful . I'm also looking at the new stuff and when the present lockdown is over I'll try and hear some at a dealer . The build quality of something like a a S-A3000 or S-A 3200 is stunning and one could argue the case for good VFM .
Something to look forward to .

Good evening

Thank You
Martin

That range of midi-sized Yamaha gear is very good indeed and well worth seeking out. I’ve moved mine on now but during the few years I owned it, it often got more use in my listening room than my ‘proper’ equipment!

As to full size gear worth checking out, the M-2 and M-4 power amps are superb, as are the matching C-2/C-2a/C-4 preamps. Some of their professional models share the same circuits as some domestic models, so are great performers - the PC-2002M, 4002M and the mighty 5002M spring to mind here.

Integrated-wise the A-960II is still one of the best amplifiers of the era that I’ve ever heard.

Of course, speaker-wise no home would be complete without a pair of these dinky little fellas:

http://www.thevintageknob.org/yamaha-GF-1.html

;)

The late 90's ( got a better handle on the dates now ) Midi gear is very good , I've also got a TX10 tuner which sounds very good it's titanium finish looks up to date and has a braun kind of cool thing going on . Lots of German systems on e-bay ,the black ones look good but thanks to our fantastic trade deal thats + 20 % vat and a handeling charge -we were all lied to .
I think I would rather live next door to a nuclear reactor than have Beryllium in the house .

The posh cool kids at my art school rode Yamaha ' fizzies ' FS1E 's ,my mate on our Photography course would park his black Norton Comando in amongst them !

I had one! As my birthday is in Jan I turned 16 sooner than most at school so was the only person at school with a motorbike for a couple of months:)

You’ll probably appreciate this Arkless with your engineering focus, I still recall one of the youfs who produced a gem every time he opened his mouth - telling everyone how his moped was the quickest having sprayed it blue as the molecules in blue paint were known to be closer together. That one became legendary.

You’ll probably appreciate this Arkless with your engineering focus, I still recall one of the youfs who produced a gem every time he opened his mouth - telling everyone how his moped was the quickest having sprayed it blue as the molecules in blue paint were known to be closer together. That one became legendary.

Ah yes when you have a top speed of about 45mph and so does the rest of your "moped gang" then getting a few extra mph was the be all and end all I recall! Tall tales abounded of such and such did this or that mod to his and it does 65mph etc... all bollox of course.

And on topic for the OP I’ve owned a lot of amps and whilst I haven’t listened to Accuphase or Luxman I’m very happy with my AS3000. If you do look at the 1000/2000/3000 series you’ll save a lot from a private sale at the expense of demoing of course. I’m not a fan of demoing without good intentions then going elsewhere, I listened to mine in the seller’s system driving monster speakers with countless drivers and was happy to take the chance at just under £2k. Got it home and was equally impressed from the moment I began to use it.

And on topic for the OP I’ve owned a lot of amps and whilst I haven’t listened to Accuphase or Luxman I’m very happy with my AS3000. If you do look at the 1000/2000/3000 series you’ll save a lot from a private sale at the expense of demoing of course. I’m not a fan of demoing without good intentions then going elsewhere, I listened to mine in the seller’s system driving monster speakers with countless drivers and was happy to take the chance at just under £2k. Got it home and was equally impressed from the moment I began to use it.
What speakers are you running with the Yammy?

I’ve had a few Yamaha amps in the past, never been disappointed, they do some cracking value Receivers these days, the 803 is a bargain.

Fancied the AS-3200 but went with a Luxman in the end as I’ve not had one of their integrated amps before. Sold now but local dealer had an AS-3000 in for £1990 recently, new 3200 is £5K so a used 2000 or 3000 would be a good option for the OP I reckon.

Hi, at the moment my LSA2 floorstanders and they match superbly. My Opera Superpavarottis sounded good with them too which I set up first just after I finished the major lounge work.

My Martin Logan Aerius i will be back in action when the new panels arrive from the US so I only have brief experience with those (telltale sign with previous amp that the HF was fading) but I heard enough to tell me I’m going to enjoy those too.

there’s an effortlessness with the Yamaha, clarity throughout and a control over lower registers that is noticeable ie. just enjoyable and no intention to make any more changes in the future but it’s a funny old hobby of course so you can never say never.

I have Martin Logans and love them, panels aren’t everyones cup of tea but to me they work better than any of the conventional boxes I’ve had.

The best I’ve heard is the B-2 with its vfets. I have had a couple of smaller Yamaha amplifiers too, but ended up with a AX2000
as well as the B-2 at the same time and the B-2 was/is far better and more solid than the AX2000, so I moved that one on - it was the very one in the link above.

advertisement

Back