advertisement

UptoneAudio EtherREGEN

Yeah thankfully they saw sense and kept it below the thirty grand mark, otherwise they might not shift many :)

Seen this

From the internal pictures there are only 2 per chassis so that order is for a significant number of servers. Go figure...

P.S. I heard they are backordered too!

Try this one

These hi-end servers look amazing but I can't help thinking that the game-changing progress in digital audio will come at the "system on a chip" i.e. the nanometer level.

It will be interesting to what extent those beautiful over-engineered LPSs will prove to have been necessary in the coming years. Chips and systems are becoming ever more integrated and efficient at a rapid rate.

Funny you say that. I am doing a WiFi access point shoot out this weekend, have a new WiFi 6 which is 1 better than the 5. ;-)

So I tried WiFi 6, apps which run over the network now feel like native apps rather than web apps. And I get a nice "6" icon on my phone.

I didn't bother trying to compare the sound quality Vs 5 or wired, but I'm pretty sure it's not worse.

So I tried WiFi 6, apps which run over the network now feel like native apps rather than web apps. And I get a nice "6" icon on my phone.

I didn't bother trying to compare the sound quality Vs 5 or wired, but I'm pretty sure it's not worse.
Wifi 6 (IEEE 802.11ax) hasn't been finalised yet. Devices for sale today have the required hardware (radios and processors) but will need a software update to actually enable all the new features once the spec is ratified.

Wifi 6 (IEEE 802.11ax) hasn't been finalised yet. Devices for sale today have the required hardware (radios and processors) but will need a software update to actually enable all the new features once the spec is ratified.

Interesting, thanks. Something to look forward to!

Stupid question:

Data over a network, even if it contains an audio stream, is sent as packets, with no specific timing guarantees. As long as packets arrive at the streamer in time to be unpacked and sent to a DAC, it is working. The OP said the device 'reclocks' data (packets) between a router and streamer. This doesn't make sense since the streamer is already tasked with (per the IP stack) putting packets in order and unpacking them for a higher layer layer. The application or software running on the streamer is in charge of turning the data from packets back into a stream to send to the DAC, so it manages timing. I don't understand then what the device is for or how it could possibly have any effect other than adding a little latency. It is so far away from the stream sent to the DAC, it would seem that it couldn't possibly have any effect, unless it is just doing extra buffering and masking late packets.

Maybe I haven't read enough of the thread and there's a clarification of the purpose of the device?

Stupid question:

Data over a network, even if it contains an audio stream, is sent as packets, with no specific timing guarantees. As long as packets arrive at the streamer in time to be unpacked and sent to a DAC, it is working. The OP said the device 'reclocks' data (packets) between a router and streamer. This doesn't make sense since the streamer is already tasked with (per the IP stack) putting packets in order and unpacking them for a higher layer layer. The application or software running on the streamer is in charge of turning the data from packets back into a stream to send to the DAC, so it manages timing. I don't understand then what the device is for or how it could possibly have any effect other than adding a little latency. It is so far away from the stream sent to the DAC, it would seem that it couldn't possibly have any effect, unless it is just doing extra buffering and masking late packets.

Maybe I haven't read enough of the thread and there's a clarification of the purpose of the device?
Supposed to get shot of phase noise

There are two types of sound-degrading influences the EtherREGEN is designed to radically decrease: Leakage—both high-impedance and low-impedance—and clock phase-noise. The clock phase-noise travels on the Ethernet signal itself and on power- and ground-planes. [Every signal edge coming out of any digital device carries the jitter/phase-noise of the clock used to "clock out" that edge; this shows up on the ground-plane and affects the threshold of chips’ clock inputs. This is an oversimplification of a complex subject; here is the link to our 'white paper' about the technical mechanisms (to be followed with some measurement proof of the effects).​

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...enson_EtherREGEN_white_paper.pdf?v=1583429386

I'm not trying to protect anyone from anything!

Well, let people demo/hear the product and let them decide whether it makes a difference to their listening pleasure. There are many things we can detect by using our hearing.

Well, let people demo/hear the product and let them decide whether it makes a difference to their listening pleasure. There are many things we can detect by using our hearing.

I don't believe I'm able to stop anyone demoing anything if they want to ?

advertisement

Back