advertisement

Cricket 2021 - all things cricket for this year on pfm

Andrew C!

Been around a while....
Surprised this hasn’t been started yet.

I’ll kick off with something a little controversial.

Some on here suggesting last summer that Root should be dropped? I don’t thinks so!

He was a man apart, today.

We do need to sort the confidence issues with our openers v spin tho, or they will get well stuffed in India.

Surprised this hasn’t been started yet.

I’ll kick off with something a little controversial.

Some on here suggesting last summer that Root should be dropped? I don’t thinks so!

He was a man apart, today.

We do need to sort the confidence issues with our openers v spin tho, or they will get well stuffed in India.

I like Root the batsman but not Root the captain.

Great to see him back on form. But what a way to get out !
Peculiar match with only 1 batsman and 1 bowler a class apart in both innings.

The problems with Root as England captain were that he was very inexperienced at captaining a side, less so now but it has taken a while, and that the position badly affected his form, which is pretty normal for any new captain.
Hopefully both these problems, if not completely gone, are greatly reduced now, an average of 138 in the series so far is quite hopeful....

Crawley and Sibley are hopeless at the moment but who would be better? They`ll be decimated by India unless they change their ways. What about Burns?

They will keep with Crawley. I wonder if they will put Stokes in at 3? He plays spin and seam equally well?

We’ve some good batsmen around, but not at opener. Bairstow to open?

Pope and Lawrence are the future - they both look good, and should be persevered with.

Buttler taking time off could be interesting. Will they go with Foakes, or ask Pope?

There is some nonsense of resting players in some rotation system.
This is India: No1 side in the world.
Just select your best in-form 11: sportsmen excelling don't get tired. With an eye to who can actually play spin well.

Root has really come back to form as a batsman which is great ,hopefully he can keep this up !
They do need to practice playing spin as we have good batsmen who should be doing better

I have always supported Root, he is a class act from the greatest city in the world.

Sri Lanka test is finely poised.

India will be far from easy, cannot really see us getting anything much from the series.

If Ingerlund is a winning team then the other teams must be little better than (very poor) village teams. I don't like Ingerlund and loathe the jongoistic acclaim when they win.

I can’t say test cricket interests me enough to watch but the IPL each year is fantastic to follow. Also never ceases to amaze me how full the stadiums are from old to very young, COVID era aside of course.

There is some nonsense of resting players in some rotation system.
This is India: No1 side in the world.
Just select your best in-form 11: sportsmen excelling don't get tired. With an eye to who can actually play spin well.
This may be true. However, we have 17 tests this year and a world cup. Many of these players have been in bubbles for a very long time. They are being very carefully managed.

Obvious choice to come into the side is Hales. Should never have been dropped in my view.

Obvious choice to come into the side is Hales.

No, because of the drugs conviction. There has been a period of reflection, which is why he can come back to the ODI/T20 set up, but it’s right he was omitted.

There are a number of problems with Hales. Let’s say the All Blacks mantra of No Dickheads could be applied.

Well, he does seem to have fun rewriting the record books, though. Then again, I was surprised he was omitted because of the recreational drugs thing.

Let's not forget being a dickhead has not stopped many cricketers in the past ....

I would play Hales in limited overs cricket. I’d also make it quite clear regarding the perception obligations he needs to consider, in his contract.

Back to test cricket -
Roy to return and open with Sibley.
Crawley back to three,
Root 4.
Stokes 5,
Pope 6,
Foster 7,

then the bowlers.

Lawrence 1st reserve bat, ready for any injuries.

Buttler comes back and replaces Foakes, unless Foakes plays two blinders. Root likes the axis of Buttler and Stokes as his vice-captains, and why wouldn’t you?

advertisement

Back