advertisement

Is it time to ostracise China?

I asked the question because there seemed an awful lot of unsubstantiated and unmitigated nonsense being written.

China may have odd eating habits, but only 4.5k covid deaths from a population of 1.5 billion is remarkable, to say the least.....

I find it amusingly ironic that it was Western capitalistic greed that created the new "workshop of the world" which we now cannot do without! "Let's exploit the poor workers in China who will do it for a bowl of rice a day and make our own entire workforce redundant other than the office and design staff, close down our UK factory, sell the land for housing development AND get our products made for us for half the cost! We'll make a fortune!"

What could possibly go wrong.....

The UK built the worlds first successful nuclear power station back in the 50's... Having sold all the "family silver" to the highest bidder we now have to ask China to build us our next one...

On this issue I'm afraid Labour are just as guilty as tories.

Nothing wrong with China.

Anyway the country we should really encourage is Finland.

Why do Chinese people say “If you want to know what China will be like in the future, look at North Korea”. They wouldn’t be saying that if there was “nothing wrong with China”.

You are correct about Finland.

I've been to maybe 6 or 7 cities in mainland China, about 20 odd visits for business in addition to about 40+ visits to HKG for both Business and pleasure.

Doing business (my sector - HE) in places like Beijing and Shanghai is little different to other places like KL, Singapore etc. Once you get to more remote cities like Fuzou or Harbin it becomes very different.

There are rules let's say more loosely followed in Shanghai and Beijing. They are well organised, I preferred doing business in China to India/S Asia but I preferred visiting S Asia. I doubt China will end up like N Korea. No Chinese colleague has ever hinted that anyone thinks like that.

Go do business in Taiwan, very different again.

Given my views, I couldn't do business with Taiwan. They're an example of US foreign policy at its worst, which is a pity, because, again, innocent Chinese bear the brunt of unthinking imperialist policy. I mention that because Hong Kong was always a part of China, as was Macau, but they too were removed as part of imperalist policies.

Anyway, I'm out of this thread.

I doubt China will end up like N Korea. No Chinese colleague has ever hinted that anyone thinks like that.

I hope you are right but what a Chinese colleague in China will tell you is very different to what a Chinese colleague outside China will say.

I used to work in Shanghai 20+years ago, amazing city and interesting folk... was probably spied upon but do remember the first time I landed at Pudong and got a lively taxi-ride to the city centre - lay on the bed, put on the TV and low and behold... Tranmere Rovers were live in a Cup game...marvellous!

Given the human right concerns, building islands in international waters and now giving the WHO the run around, should the West use a total trade embargo to bring them to heel? obviously this would hurt us as well.

Totally unrealistic to impose a total trade embargo on China, however much they might deserve it. We are all so interdependent now as a species that the sooner we stop arguing and face the fact that we are in the process of self-extinction, the better. Btw, whilst writing, my current opinion is that the whole pandemic - which I fear is going to get MUCH worse and be followed by more (pandemics) - is Nature's way of dealing with us, the greedy, stupid, selfish & cruel human race... in other words, it might be the only way we end up surviving. There's a lot worse crackpot ideas out there...

Been to Hong Kong on business circa '89 : quite enjoyed my short stay, but absolutely loved the week in Japan that followed (visiting Mitsubishi Heavy Industries).

Nothing wrong with China.

Think about it: who would you rather have running the planet, the US or China?

It's the US we should ostracize, they've set civilisation back years.

Anyway the country we should really encourage is Finland.

Most European countries have had their moments of "glory" during which they brought death, destruction and "civilization" to large swathes of the world. Since WW! and especially WW2 they ceded their place to the US and USSR who brought a lot of bad and occasionally some good to the rest of the world. I expect much the same of China. On balance I trust the Chinese government less than the US government, though clearly the US, particularly the right wing has become rotten in the past 30 years.

I hope you are right but what a Chinese colleague in China will tell you is very different to what a Chinese colleague outside China will say.

I have both and both say similar things - it hugely varies from city to city though.

What we (Britain) has got to get used to is we are now a second class sh*t hole at the mercy of larger powers and we have little clout in the world in reality (and even less since leaving Europe)
It's time to shut up and stop preaching to other countries ...as we will need as many "friends" as we can muster going forward as we slip further into bankruptcy and obscurity

Last edited:
Actually sod that, here are some examples:
  • Dogs and cats are, amongst other things, boiled, stabbed, drowned, bludgeoned, strangled, poisoned, hanged, and electrocuted...experiencing unbearable pain as their legs are routinely broken while trussed up and hung in local markets for human consumption, or skinned alive and cast off like garbage, for the despicable fur trade.
  • Dogs (both owned and stray) are relentlessly hunted down by 'police authorised' roving mobs and savagely beaten to death by the hundreds of thousands, in the name of 'rabies' control.
  • Bears suffer a lifetime of excruciating pain as they are surgically mutilated and milked each day for their gall bile. Their paws taken as delicacies for the Chinese restaurant trade or ground into powdered 'medicines'. The use of bear parts supplying the traditional Chinese medicine trade and exotic meat market is the major reason why bear species are declining around the world. Endangered species of bears are fast becoming extinct.
  • Rhinos are butchered for their horns and are now highly endangered.
  • Sharks - over 70-100 million sharks per annum are 'finned' and their carcasses dumped into the sea, to accommodate Chinese' growing taste for shark fin soup.
  • Turtles - 20 million turtles are devoured in China per annum. Slaughtered alive & fully conscious, their heads are decapitated and crushed. Two thirds of the world's turtles are now threatened with extinction.
  • Elephants - elephant tusks are carved into ivory trinkets - their feet hacked off for stools and coffee table legs.
  • Seals - China's role in the single, largest mass butchery of marine mammals on Earth, the annual Canadian seal slaughter, happens in part, so that dried seal penises can be turned into aphrodisiacs to "theoretically" increase the libidos of elderly men engaging in sex (there is an even more sinister element to this, but let's not go there right now)
  • Zoo slaughter - live domestic pets, as well as cows and chickens, are fed to lions and tigers for the "entertainment" of visitors at Chinese zoos. Zoo officials encourage guests to buy domestic animals on the premises, and feed them to the carnivores through special vending flaps fitted onto tourist buses...allowing individuals to throw chickens and other live animals to the waiting predators.
  • Animals are used as "dried" ingredients in traditional Chinese 'medicines' and killed in the billions such as tiger parts, crocodile bile, deer musk, sea horses, lizards, sea cucumbers, powdered antlers, dog penis, pangolin (scaly anteaters), only to name a few on a seemingly unending list. All are considered no more than 'products' to be abused and murdered in the most monstrous ways possible, even if it means permanently wiping many of these species from the face of the planet in order to fulfill often frivolous, antiquated and selfish needs.
  • Chinese traditional 'medicine' industry - a nonsense hocus pocus, and not grounded in any form of science, practice that routinely involves cruelty to animals or hunting them to extinction from the large (e.g. tigers) to the small (e.g. pangolins).
Obviously I am not blaming the entire nation of Chinese people in general and I am not absolving the West from many of their own practices that are less than pleasant towards animals and must also be addressed, but as I have said before China is on a whole other level and the government and a proportion of the population do think much of the above is acceptable. It isn't!!!
Such hard and painful reading that it makes me weep.

Let’s not also forget cruelty to humans. Death penalty, organ harvesting, working conditions, Hong Kong, Uighur genocide come to mind.

advertisement

Back