advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... X

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, you get the dunce's hat for refusing to acknowledge that the scenery today is indeed omewhat different from that of 2016, and that brexit is very far from being the only factor in that.

I acknowledge that, do you acknowledge that Brexit becomes an additional burdon to this crisis and unique to the UK, that we could well do without?

As SteveS1 says. Where have I refused to acknowledge a change? The salient point is that we find ourselves about to run a marathon. Which we now have to start having shot ourselves in the foot. Well done you.

An interesting prospect, having one useless, dogmatic, corrupt, self-serving and unsackable government providing top cover to offset the dogma, corruption and self-serving incompetence of another, sackable one.

I'm not convinced, though, that it is a workable solution.

Secrecy and underhand dealing having characterised both our entry into the EEC, and its conduct ever since. The route-planning stitch up was certainly completed before the French would say 'Oui'.

'l'Europe des patries'.
EVangelical.

No, you get the dunce's hat for refusing to acknowledge that the scenery today is indeed omewhat different from that of 2016, and that brexit is very far from being the only factor in that.

Indeed it is very different. In fact it's a bit of a bloody stupid idea to do a hard Brexit in the middle of the worst pandemic in 100 years. Any sane government would have put the process on hold until the crisis was over, but hey-ho. Mustn't grumble...

Indeed it is very different. In fact it's a bit of a bloody stupid idea to do a hard Brexit in the middle of the worst pandemic in 100 years. Any sane government would have put the process on hold until the crisis was over, but hyey-ho. Mustn't grumble...
If they put Brexit on hold due to Covid the government would lose the perfect opportunity to blame a serious downturn on Covid. Covid in this sense is a silver lining for Boris.

Just a lack of vision.
I don't hero worship the likes of Jeff Bezos or Elon Musk, but you can not deny they have ambitious plans.
Where is the long term plan from any recent UK government?
Northern Powerhouse seemed like an opportunity to me, to shift the balance more evenly across the country, but I'm struggling to see that it is anything more than marketing.
Thanks, and while I take your point, there is rather more to a nation state’s functioning than economic growth. My view is that economic activity is what pays for the stuff the state does, it’s not what the state is for. I’m also sceptical that the conventional growth model is sustainable, so would prefer to look elsewhere for the long term route. Bear in mind also that government short-termism is often driven by what will play nicely with business. So I’m not really looking to rely on the source of many problems to provide the solution to them.

Maybe it's time we start a topic about the positive effects of Covid...
Well it even has its own political faction- “the Covid recovery group” same membership as “the European research group” Same purpose- to profit from the adversity suffered by others.

Well it even has its own political faction- “the Covid recovery group” same membership as “the European research group” Same purpose- to profit from the adversity suffered by others.

They can always claim that, after all, it was the will of the people. The Seventeenmillion...

I acknowledge that, do you acknowledge that Brexit becomes an additional burdon to this crisis and unique to the UK, that we could well do without?
The timing is terrible.
Taking more than 4 years to implement is also poor.
Do you not think that Brexit fatigue was a major factor in the last GE? Voters were sick of the topic IMO.

"Get Brexit Done" ... sloganeering at it's worst.

Thanks, and while I take your point, there is rather more to a nation state’s functioning than economic growth. My view is that economic activity is what pays for the stuff the state does, it’s not what the state is for. I’m also sceptical that the conventional growth model is sustainable, so would prefer to look elsewhere for the long term route. Bear in mind also that government short-termism is often driven by what will play nicely with business. So I’m not really looking to rely on the source of many problems to provide the solution to them.
What’s even more bizarre is that Johnson is actively damaging to business with no attempt to not f*** it, apart from the coterie of party and personal donors who’s bus truly arrived with Covid. For the first time in memory, the Conservative Party put nativism in front of economic well-being.

I thought the rejoin fans here would focus on the campaign, but instead they seem obsessed with the Express source.
Any new campaign is going to have to win over mild Tory voters.

We're smart enough to look at the wider picture.

The timing is terrible.
Taking more than 4 years to implement is also poor.
Do you not think that Brexit fatigue was a major factor in the last GE? Voters were sick of the topic IMO.

"Get Brexit Done" ... sloganeering at it's worst.

To an extent yes, but how do you excuse the sheer laziness involved in not checking for themselves some of the many ridiculous claims that were made for them? Being receptive to empty slogans just encourages deception.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back