advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... X

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought you voted to leave because you saw a business opportunity for yourself. But actually, you're just turning into Colin Barron v2.0
I don't know what you mean with the Colin reference, but it's not important.
Of course I would read any proposal. Who wouldn't? It doesn't mean to say I would buy into it.
On your first point, the world of 2016 and the Covid dominated world of 2021 are miles apart. That's the big disruptor which none of us could have predicted.

I thought you voted to leave because you saw a business opportunity for yourself. But actually, you're just turning into Colin Barron v2.0

It was fairly obvious after the initial posts he was settling in to the 'normal' pattern. The obfuscation is a little more subtle as it is couched in business terms and mentions worldwide embracing of business etc etc but when pressed a little it falls back on the established rhetoric albeit appearing more in tune. The message is still the same haven't clue what the benefits are never really thought about but here we are now so lets be great and make it up as we go along.

I don't know what you mean with the Colin reference, but it's not important.
Of course I would read any proposal. Who wouldn't? It doesn't mean to say I would buy into it.
On your first point, the world of 2016 and the Covid dominated world of 2021 are miles apart. That's the big disruptor which none of us could have predicted.

The world is still the same. You have to make agreements to have trade. Brexit substituted a broad agreement that gave the UK unfettered access. Brexit choose to go it alone in a world full of alliances. Covid has nothing to do with it.

Quite. The only way anyone would link to it here normally would be for satire. It’s all ‘Boris slaps Barnier down/ EU rage at Britain/ We will never surrender says Gove’.
Strangely, they seem reluctant to report fact like the 50,000 customs agents Business was told would be necessary from January 1st never materialised and instead there’s only 12,000 with the inevitable consequences. I’m guessing The Sexpress will pivot to Battle of Britain nostalgia, why does Kamala Harris hate white people? and donate now to our lorry driver ham sandwich replacement fund.

The fact that the Express, the cheerleaders for Brexit, feel the need to run the story and try to rubbish any rejoin idea suggests that, despite the fact they "wunnit", there's a concern the tide's turning and they feel their sunlit uplands could be under threat soon.

It was fairly obvious after the initial posts he was settling in to the 'normal' pattern. The obfuscation is a little more subtle as it is couched in business terms and mentions worldwide embracing of business etc etc but when pressed a little it falls back on the established rhetoric albeit appearing more in tune. The message is still the same haven't clue what the benefits are never really thought about but here we are now so lets be great and make it up as we go along.
You have a good nose.

Do you really think that people voted Leave because of this particular issue?

No.

They didn't listen or care what the effects of their vote would be on other people..

Covid has killed off touring for some time yet. Time enough to find a solution.

I'm sure myself and all my colleagues who are facing an uncertain future will be reassured by the words of wisdom from an anonymous internet poster.

Stephen

Quite. The only way anyone would link to it here normally would be for satire. It’s all ‘Boris slaps Barnier down/ EU rage at Britain/ We will never surrender says Gove’.
Strangely, they seem reluctant to report fact like the 50,000 customs agents Business was told would be necessary from January 1st never materialised and instead there’s only 12,000 with the inevitable consequences. I’m guessing The Sexpress will pivot to Battle of Britain nostalgia, why does Kamala Harris hate white people? and donate now to our lorry driver ham sandwich replacement fund.
Have they given over with the "Lady Diana Assassination Plot Confirmed by Intelligence Leak" stuff now then?

The fact that the Express, the cheerleaders for Brexit, feel the need to run the story and try to rubbish any rejoin idea suggests that, despite the fact they "wunnit", there's a concern the tide's turning and they feel their sunlit uplands could be under threat soon.
Polling consistently shows buyer’s remorse. Perhaps they’re hoping to counter that with impartial results supplied by their broad, socially representative readership? They make The Sun look like the Christian Science Monitor .

I thought the rejoin fans here would focus on the campaign, but instead they seem obsessed with the Express source.
Any new campaign is going to have to win over mild Tory voters.

Yes, I think you pin your aspirations on the right big business, and you will still have opportunity. I've lost faith in the nation state.
What is it about the nation state you have lost faith in? Not a trick question, btw, I'm genuinely interested.

I'm also interested in why you would look to global businesses to step up and fill the void. Business is by its nature amoral, whereas nations have, or should have, an underlying code of mutual support. If your loss of faith is because you don't see nation states fulfilling that function any more, I'm surprised you think big business will step into the role.

Personally, if I were losing faith in the nation state, ie my nation state, I might be more interested in some sort of supra-national entity to help keep things on track. Doesn't have to be the EU, of course, but it served well enough for my purposes.

I thought the rejoin fans here would focus on the campaign, but instead they seem obsessed with the Express source.
Any new campaign is going to have to win over mild Tory voters.
No point yet. We need a few years to understand what we have got. We're not yet a month in. Let's explore the sunny uplands, enjoy all the benefits of this new arrangement, and relish our freedom. The fishermen in Brixham can enjoy theirs.

What is it about the nation state you have lost faith in? Not a trick question, btw, I'm genuinely interested.
Just a lack of vision.
I don't hero worship the likes of Jeff Bezos or Elon Musk, but you can not deny they have ambitious plans.
Where is the long term plan from any recent UK government?
Northern Powerhouse seemed like an opportunity to me, to shift the balance more evenly across the country, but I'm struggling to see that it is anything more than marketing.

Clearly you're right that this isn't the EU's job and nor should it be. Thing is, though, that as things currently stand, we have a useless, dogmatic, corrupt and malignant government, and an ineffectual opposition. Until not long ago, even if that were the case we could at least rely on the EU to provide a measure of top cover by way of charters, directives and regulations that our government couldn't weasel out of to serve its cronies' and donors' own interests.

An interesting prospect, having one useless, dogmatic, corrupt, self-serving and unsackable government providing top cover to offset the dogma, corruption and self-serving incompetence of another, sackable one.

I'm not convinced, though, that it is a workable solution.

Ugh. The Daily sh*trag. I'm going to wash my hands.
Not that it's biased or anything, but I love the fact that the rag refers to it as "a Rejoin plot". No, a plot implies secrecy and underhand dealing. I am reasonably confident that after a few years of financial underperformance there will be a substantial number of people wanting to rejoin. Not yet. We have to enjoy the new grass in our sunny uplands for a while yet. This is what we voted for.

Oh and yes, any rejoin deal will be drawn up before public voting. Because that's what people do when they are not complete and utter bloody idiots.

Secrecy and underhand dealing having characterised both our entry into the EEC, and its conduct ever since. The route-planning stitch up was certainly completed before the French would say 'Oui'.

'l'Europe des patries'.

Yes as touching as these examples are, the serious damage is happening elsewhere in the UK economy. The benefits will be there for those behind the Express and the like though. Justy not for the little people. They won't see their interests aligned with the UK services industry for example, but their exposure is significant, in some cases directly but mainly of a reduced UK GDP is spent on.

Bingo! I claim the first sighting of 2021's first "nothing to do with Brexit, all a result of Covid" post! Do I get a prize?

No, you get the dunce's hat for refusing to acknowledge that the scenery today is indeed omewhat different from that of 2016, and that brexit is very far from being the only factor in that.

No, you get the dunce's hat for refusing to acknowledge that the scenery today is indeed omewhat different from that of 2016, and that brexit is very far from being the only factor in that.

I acknowledge that, do you acknowledge that Brexit becomes an additional burdon to this crisis and unique to the UK, that we could well do without?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back