advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I think you pin your aspirations on the right big business, and you will still have opportunity. I've lost faith in the nation state. I have more in common with work colleagues based half way around the world than I do with some people in this country.

Big business does not really plan for long term functions like infrastructure, education even fundamental research, good luck relying for them on that. If you really want to live the free market dream go and live in a failed state, there there is no government and no taxes, funnily enough those that have plundered such places that cause them to fail seem reluctant to stay and move abroad somewhere where the state actually functions. You might wonder why the government here seems so welcoming of them, next failed state in the making?

Was the £80m accepted?

Very funny. It would have been refunded if tariffs were put in place and Nissan decided to use that as it's opt out. You can thank Joe Biden's win for that not being needed. I look forward to the help for the many thousands of less high profile businesses who are facing additional unnecessary costs and barriers.

At least that would bring some honesty to proceedings if the government paid the additional costs for business. The public would then be directly underwriting their choice instead of foisting it on people who didn't want it. Then zealots like ET could volunteer to pay their own. Everyone's a winner.

An advantage we just threw away for nothing.

Stephen

I see your point, a sort of inverse to Ireland, which rather than having a boot in each camp, has two boots in its camp.

Good news, the £80m bung plus any subsequent UK Taxpayer's assistance is money well spent. I wonder if all the other industries badly affected by building barriers to trade will see similar "help". It couldn't be because of the profile, perish the thought.

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-02-04...san-up-to-80m-in-2016-to-build-new-cars-in-uk

I thought the barriers to trade were entirely the EU's, but I understand that after 6 months the UK is going to start confiscating incoming ham baguettes too, which is a bit disappointing.

I thought the barriers to trade were entirely the EU's, but I understand that after 6 months the UK is going to start confiscating incoming ham baguettes too, which is a bit disappointing.

Why do you care? No amount of damage to the UK economy is too much as you have already stated previously, so enjoy the shit show.

But misdirection and irrelevant. The EU doesn't train my dog, for that matter, or do my shopping.

Good, and my point remains perfectly valid, neither should it be treated as an alternative to a Parliamentary opposition.

The tories are in power thanks to an utterly useless opposition. I repeat, it isn't the job of the EU to provide parliamentary opposition, unless it wishes to stand candidates in the UK Parliamentary elections. Which, of course, it can't.
Clearly you're right that this isn't the EU's job and nor should it be. Thing is, though, that as things currently stand, we have a useless, dogmatic, corrupt and malignant government, and an ineffectual opposition. Until not long ago, even if that were the case we could at least rely on the EU to provide a measure of top cover by way of charters, directives and regulations that our government couldn't weasel out of to serve its cronies' and donors' own interests.

Good, and my point remains perfectly valid, neither should it be treated as an alternative to a Parliamentary opposition.
But we really do need one?

An unintended consequence of Brexit is that we no longer have an opposition. In the interests of a properly functioning democracy, we should invite the EU back to fill the void

Here you go : :)

https://www.express.co.uk/news/poli...rejoin-eu-campaign-remainers-lord-adonis-poll

Put your energy into the rejoin campaign. Maybe even have a new party, centred around the policy (or LibDems etc).

To avoid all the future empty promise complaints, the new party should negotiate the re-entry deal *before* putting it to the public shouldn't they?
That would avoid all the complaints about not understanding what you voted for.
Ugh. The Daily sh*trag. I'm going to wash my hands.
Not that it's biased or anything, but I love the fact that the rag refers to it as "a Rejoin plot". No, a plot implies secrecy and underhand dealing. I am reasonably confident that after a few years of financial underperformance there will be a substantial number of people wanting to rejoin. Not yet. We have to enjoy the new grass in our sunny uplands for a while yet. This is what we voted for.

Oh and yes, any rejoin deal will be drawn up before public voting. Because that's what people do when they are not complete and utter bloody idiots.

Oh and yes, any rejoin deal will be drawn up before public voting. Because that's what people do when they are not complete and utter bloody idiots.

I shall read the deal offered with interest.
Obviously, the EU will make it really enticing, because they will want the world to see how welcoming they are.

Ugh. The Daily sh*trag. I'm going to wash my hands.
Not that it's biased or anything, but I love the fact that the rag refers to it as "a Rejoin plot". No, a plot implies secrecy and underhand dealing. I am reasonably confident that after a few years of financial underperformance there will be a substantial number of people wanting to rejoin. Not yet. We have to enjoy the new grass in our sunny uplands for a while yet. This is what we voted for.

Quite. The only way anyone would link to it here normally would be for satire. It’s all ‘Boris slaps Barnier down/ EU rage at Britain/ We will never surrender says Gove’.
Strangely, they seem reluctant to report fact like the 50,000 customs agents Business was told would be necessary from January 1st never materialised and instead there’s only 12,000 with the inevitable consequences. I’m guessing The Sexpress will pivot to Battle of Britain nostalgia, why does Kamala Harris hate white people? and donate now to our lorry driver ham sandwich replacement fund.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back