advertisement

DVLA Vehicle enquiry service

I’d probably struggle with 55 BHP now too, I’m used to 200+ in a daily runaround... I’d welcome the fuel savings though!

My brother had one of those as his first car, best part of 16 sec to 60mph was a bit painful! Would hit a fair old top speed given enough time to reach it though, he was doing about a ton on the motorway once with me and two others in there when a rozza in a dark blue Volvo popped his blue lights on behind us... He was saved by a guy in some sort of STI Subaru who flew past going at least 30 faster than we were so plod went haring off after him instead!

My brother had one of those as his first car, best part of 16 sec to 60mph was a bit painful! Would hit a fair old top speed given enough time to reach it though, he was doing about a ton on the motorway once with me and two others in there when a rozza in a dark blue Volvo popped his blue lights on behind us... He was saved by a guy in some sort of STI Subaru who flew past going at least 30 faster than we were so plod went haring off after him instead!
Oh yes, it was my first car (I kept it for years along side other cars)... it was painfully slow on low end acceleration, especially with a few adults on board... I got it over a ton a few times, silly in hindsight, and I never do that new, with literally five times the power at my disposal. It was a fun little car despite the crap acceleration, once it was moving, it cornered like it was on rails.

Oh yes, it was my first car (I kept it for years along side other cars)... it was painfully slow on low end acceleration, especially with a few adults on board... I got it over a ton a few times, silly in hindsight, and I never do that new, with literally five times the power at my disposal. It was a fun little car despite the crap acceleration, once it was moving, it cornered like it was on rails.
That's Peugeots for you. Basic hatches but they handle like rally cars. A Golf feels like a barge in comparison. The drawback with the 106, and I drove a couple as hire cars, was ride quality. Short wheelbase and stiff springs makes it harder than a skateboard.

I checked my brother in law's Aston Martin Vantage. He did 137 miles in it last year!
About right for many hundreds of classic cars. When I had the Caterham I did 4000 miles in Year 1, then 1000, then hundreds and at the end about 150 miles, so I got rid. MoT history of the same car shows a similar pattern of usage since I sold it. You can actually see when cars like that change hands because they get plenty of use for a year or two, then spend increasing amounts of time in the garage. When I had the Mazda MX5 I did 4k miles in the first year, 1k in the second. With insurance, tax and MoT/servicing/repairs it was costing me around £1000 a year. No thanks.

Our 65 year old Land Rover is still on there, but it's changed into a 4,9 litre Ford.
A friend of mine did that, or was en route for, IIRC. Although maybe he had started with a V8 4x4 and planned to drop it in a Ford Zephyr. That fits, actually. I hope he stuck to a Ford 4x4, a Zodiac might object to a Chevy unit.

Oddly, my last car shows on the vehicle enquiry website as its MOT expired in September 2017 whereas the MOT check web site says the MOT expired in August 2016. Either way, it didn’t last long after I returned it to the lease company with around 175k on the clock.

A friend of mine did that, or was en route for, IIRC. Although maybe he had started with a V8 4x4 and planned to drop it in a Ford Zephyr. That fits, actually. I hope he stuck to a Ford 4x4, a Zodiac might object to a Chevy unit.
I have an American acquaintance whose hobby/side-gig it sticking GM LS crate engines in places no right thinking person would. Latest future victim he's just acquired is a Porche 944 S2... Those Chevy small blocks will fit in just about anything...

I have an American acquaintance whose hobby/side-gig it sticking GM LS crate engines in places no right thinking person would. Latest future victim he's just acquired is a Porche 944 S2... Those Chevy small blocks will fit in just about anything...
That sounds like a lot of fun. I hear that the things are ridiculously cheap for what you get and all the stuff like ecu, ignition, injection is just bolt on and go.

OMG - the Ginetta G15 I built from a kit in 1973 is still around, albeit off-road / SORN, and now red, not navy blue. My Mum used to call that car "The love of your life"!

It came without assembly instructions, but the factory recommended buying a reprint of a then recent edition of Cars & Car Conversions which had an article from an owner detailing his build with all sorts of essential tips. I still had to take the engine back out after I forgot part of the clutch linkage ... :rolleyes:

Cars and car conversations!
Now there's a blast from the past
I used to love that magazine..I subscribed...but also bought all the back issues for pennies from car boot sales
Then I would read them for 8hrs on my night shifts ( I won't say what the job was...but it started as a manual job ...then they automated it ...but kept ALL the staff on for 7 years afterwards!!

That sounds like a lot of fun. I hear that the things are ridiculously cheap for what you get and all the stuff like ecu, ignition, injection is just bolt on and go.

They still look fairly good value over here with an import mark up and VAT on, but I dare say less so once you get them in and have to factor in fuel duty too!

advertisement

Back