advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... X

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always wondered if the 'EU' being such a big influence on our daily lives, why more people didn't vote in the MEP elections? Looking back, turnout was usually around ~35%, even after the Brexit vote.

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/election-results-2019/en/turnout/

You know, when we actually had a seat at the table and could vote in democratically elected representatives on our behalf to raise issues and amend policy.

I guess the majority did not vote for change, maybe they did not know what they were voting for?

THE BEST THING eu is governed by germany and a lap dog france history show that they wanted to be in charge in 20s30s40s

You're blaming the EU, but the facts are that the UK had the tools at its disposal to put the brakes on immigration, if it so chose.

It didn't - why?
I didn't blame the EU. It's undeniable that FOM is a core policy.
How the UK government chose to implement the policy is not something that voters had any say on. I'm not a Labour supporter, someone who is might be able to explain why they got their migration estimates so wrong.
I am saying that the resulting impact is very visible in many parts of the UK. Some will see it as beneficial, others won't.

How the UK government chose to implement the policy is not something that voters had any say on. I'm not a Labour supporter, someone who is might be able to explain why they got their migration estimates so wrong.
I am saying that the resulting impact is very visible in many parts of the UK. Some will see it as beneficial, others won't.

Why did the UK not opt to put the brakes on immigration from the EU?

People voted to leave because they thought that the EU was wholly responsible for immigration and the UK was helpless to stop it, which is wrong. As usual, we're blaming domestic issues on the EU.

Why did the UK not opt to put the brakes on immigration from the EU?

People voted to leave because they thought that the EU was wholly responsible for immigration and the UK was helpless to stop it, which is wrong. As usual, we're blaming domestic issues on the EU.
You're asking the wrong person as to why.
I'm personally a fan of migration based on skillset, but not the FOM mechanism. It's not so much a question of levels, sometimes you need more people, sometimes you need less.
Maybe people voted because they saw the government as inept?

No, I really know what I mean.

'Pragmatism' though does tap the self-interest theme. We could call it blind fundamentalism dressed up as self-interest.
Well, look up pragmatism, that's what I mean. You want a decent job doing, you hire competent not thieves and crooks.

The UK has built a reputation for having world-class touring companies that deal with some of the biggest names in entertainment.

Until January, performers would come from across the world to the UK to arrange EU tours.

All was fine. Trucks, equipment and personnel could move freely across the EU.

Now, they won't come here If they want to tour in the EU.

They'll use an EU company as the UK is now uncompetitive—we don't even know what the situation will be with carnets and visas after the pandemic.

So well done, leave voters and the Brexit party in Government.

This was talked about before the vote and dismissed as 'project fear'.

Stephen

So well done, leave voters and the Brexit party in Government.
Do you really think that people voted Leave because of this particular issue?

I don't. Music tourers don't have to concern themselves with the issues of voters, so I don't see how the opposite should be true.

Covid has killed off touring for some time yet. Time enough to find a solution.

No, you're just guilty of rewriting history.
Most people have never cared about fishing going back decades now. I remember it was a dying industry in Hull in the 80s.
It was never a priority in the political party manifestos in GE's.

I'm talking about the actual people I know who voted, not symbolism. Most of the narrative was about migration, not fishing.

I know people who voted remain/leave on purely local issues. I know people who spent more time discussing X factor than the referendum

Interesting post. In a previous post you've clearly explained "globalism" in terms of chasing cheap labour or importing cheap labour iirc. Governments have a choice, whether to pursue a high skill/reward workforce or low cost. Ours appears to have made the choice to go for McJobs and to compete with Chinese sweatshops, Brexit makes that choice easier.
Above you've explained that the narrative was about migrants, not fishing. I would certainly agree with that, my last 20 years of work was in 2 highly unionised industries, in both there was a clear majority in favour of Brexit mainly driven by the desire to keep brown and black people out. Racist, ignorant and wrong headed though such a viewpoint is.

Interesting post. In a previous post you've clearly explained "globalism" in terms of chasing cheap labour or importing cheap labour iirc. Governments have a choice, whether to pursue a high skill/reward workforce or low cost. Ours appears to have made the choice to go for McJobs and to compete with Chinese sweatshops, Brexit makes that choice easier.
Above you've explained that the narrative was about migrants, not fishing. I would certainly agree with that, my last 20 years of work was in 2 highly unionised industries, in both there was a clear majority in favour of Brexit mainly driven by the desire to keep brown and black people out. Racist, ignorant and wrong headed though such a viewpoint is.
I've always considered that globalism comes at a cost. People pretended that it was the free lunch that kept on giving. It never was.
I believed in high skills with productivity via automation. I *was* wrong. Few people were interested in UK manufacturing. It really didn't matter what I thought. This goes back to at least the early 90s. It's not caused by one particular party.
Manufacturing continued to shrink under New Labour.
The power lies with the corporates now. Politicians will chase jobs and big business knows this.

How the UK government chose to implement the policy is not something that voters had any say on.
We had just as much say in that as we did the implementation of everything following the June 2016 vote. The Tories on here say "you had 3 GEs to have your say on how to implement Brexit", you are now saying we didn't get a say in implementing UK policy on FOM between 2000 and 2015. We did, we had however many GEs. You can't have it both ways. Either a GE is an acceptable means of "having your say" or it's not.

Well, look up pragmatism, that's what I mean. You want a decent job doing, you hire competent not thieves and crooks.

"When it becomes serious, you have to lie."

“Of course there will be transfers of sovereignty. But would I be intelligent to draw the attention of public opinion to this fact?,”

"We decide on something, leave it lying around, and wait and see what happens. If no one kicks up a fuss, because most people don't understand what has been decided, we continue step by step until there is no turning back."

Jean-Claude Juncker, ex-president of the European Commission.

(And you didn't even get to hire him, he was appointed by Frau Merkel.)

I've got a list, oft quoted, of the actual crooks, and those who have been investigated, usually for fraud or misuse of funds, currently in the top (unelected) positions in the EC. Shall I post it again?

And they're not even competent.

Juncker, incidentally, is a follower of the founding father of what is now the EU, Jean Monnet. Monnet understood that there was no alternative other than to advance the project by stealth, which is why Juncker is so unabashed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back