advertisement

Falcon Acoustics re-introduce the Q7 MiniMonitor.

The LS3/5a cabinet was size constrained by the OB vans it was intended for
Improvement in acoustic efficiency would be nice, the LS3/5a is a near field speaker only

So the Q7 uses 23.2 crossovers, not the silver-badged crossovers used in the 3/5a, but you can upgrade to the latter for an extra £250? I wonder how well the 3/5a crossover will be suited to the larger enclosure (i.e. how will it affect the 110Hz bass bump?)

PS - Not related to the OP but I've just spied the new IMF 200 model on the Falcon website that's apparently coming this spring. The design reminds me very much of the IMF HPCM.

PS - Not related to the OP but I've just spied the new IMF 200 model on the Falcon website that's apparently coming this spring. The design reminds me very much of the IMF HPCM.

Now Falcon seem to be making a B139 it opens the door to recreating or refurbishing the proper big IMFs such as the TLS80 etc. They were great speakers IMO.

Now Falcon seem to be making a B139 it opens the door to recreating or refurbishing the proper big IMFs such as the TLS80 etc. They were great speakers IMO.
One step closer. What I'd really like to see is a Falcon-produced HF2000 super tweeter as these are notoriously difficult to remove from their metal casings (that were designed for front-mounting in Celestion, Gale and Rogers baffles) in order to rear-mount them in IMF baffles. I know the still-in-production Coles 4001G is often recommended as a replacement but the baffle cutout would need to be enlarged to accommodate it and I'd much prefer a drop-in replacement for originality. Whether they'd be able to replicate the original HF2000's sonic characteristics with a new model is of course the big question, as I strongly suspect it's much easier to achieve consistency when manufacturing woofers as opposed to tiny, delicate super tweeters!

I have a pair of Stirling LS3/5as I’m planning to sell soon, so if they go
I’ll order a pair of these MiniMonitors.

As Falcon Acoustics isn’t far from me I could possibly collect.

With some encouragement from a valued PFM member, I am going to order a pair of Q7s.

The last kit I built was a Falcon Acoustics LS3/5a one ( some years ago...) which cost
me £823, and Jerry Bloomfield delivered it.

Oh, and I haven’t sold the Stirlings yet as they’re stuck in the post Brexit/Covid 19
UK shipping complex.

With some encouragement from a valued PFM member, I am going to order a pair of Q7s.

The last kit I built was a Falcon Acoustics LS3/5a one ( some years ago...) which cost

Oh, and I haven’t sold the Stirlings yet as they’re stuck in the post Brexit/Covid 19
UK shipping complex.

Are you getting the basic set or the silver crossover? Please post when it arrives and when built.

I shall be watching thread for updates on kit as I’m very tempted myself by the kit as I like a spot of minor DIY!

Gold label, silver label. Silver wiring. Copper wiring. Screw down cabinets. Upgraded speaker posts. Better crossovers. Upgraded piano black. Upgraded damping, foam , bitumen. upgraded driver materials et al

All things that may arguably change perception of the sound. Or may not depending on your viewpoint.
Using your ears or your measuring instruments.

All said, its just marketing, with different price points.
You pays yer money...

Gold label, silver label. Silver wiring. Copper wiring. Screw down cabinets. Upgraded speaker posts. Better crossovers. Upgraded piano black. Upgraded damping, foam , bitumen. upgraded driver materials et al

All things that may arguably change perception of the sound. Or may not depending on your viewpoint.
Using your ears or your measuring instruments.

All said, its just marketing, with different price points.
You pays yer money...
I don't think there's much disputing that much of the 'magic' of the LS3/5A is owed to its crossover. How well this crossover will be suited to the larger enclosure of the Q7 is of course unknown to us at this point and it could well be that a Q7 with its own crossover sounds more like an LS3/5A than a Q7 with an LS3/5A crossover. It would be great if Martyn has the opportunity to audition both crossover models with the Q7, but we may be pushing our luck with that!...

In answer.
Yes, you’re pushing your luck...

I don’t like the idea of the constant upgrading path, be it crossovers or anything else.
It seems that can happen with Naim components very easily.
Of course, it’s up to the individual.
I like to really ‘live’ with an item, not constantly think of what I could add to it.

If you put the T/S parameters for the B110 (SP1003) into a calculator, for a Q of 0.707 you get a box volume of 5.63 litres which isn't far off an LS3/5a volume.
However, the size of the crossover and the back of the B110 do intrude into this so would drive up the Q a bit.

I don't know if the LS3/5a has a loose filling inside but that would pull the Q back down slightly.

In simulation, if you up the volume to, say 8 litres, you do lower the resonant frequency by about 10Hz without any large changes in group delay so that could work well.

LS3/5a's has just the inner walls fitted with plastic foam, no filling.

So, one can finally get an LS3/5a with the biggest achilles heal removed, the silly 125 Hz bump. I'm tempted to order a pair of enclosures and move the stuff from my 1978 Chartwells. At least it might wind up some fanatics ;)

That’s my point really, and my answer would be ‘no’. To my mind (assuming it was in absolutely perfect condition and still in spec) I should be able to stick a Spendor, Rogers or Audiomaster 15 Ohm LS3/5A on my right speaker stand and one of my Falcons on the left and not be able to tell them apart.

In a blind test, I'm sure I would be fooled.

UK shipping complex.

Martyn, are the stirlings the v3? I thought you said that's the best ls3/5a you've heard?

Sorry for the confusion, yunie.

The Stirlings mentioned are a pair of early V2s I bought for a customer.
As I mentioned, they’re stuck in shipping system somewhere.
They left Cyprus on Jan. the 8th, according to tracking.

The customer has found another pair of V2s.
That’s life...

advertisement

Back