advertisement

Falcon Acoustics re-introduce the Q7 MiniMonitor.

Martyn Miles

pfm Member
Last edited by a moderator:
Martyn

Please report if you do.

"The Falcon Q7 Mini-Monitor features matched pairs of Falcon B110’s and T27’s, a pair of factory-assembled Falcon 23.2 crossovers, and full Production Grade birch ply Italian cabinets in natural Walnut or Rosewood veneers. Made in the same factory as the renowned Falcon Acoustics BBC LS3/5a. Similar voicing to our LS3/5a but with extra bass extension."

Given all of the research that went into the LS3/5a cabinet volume, I wonder why it would automatically be assumed that "bigger is better"?

Given all of the research that went into the LS3/5a cabinet volume, I wonder why it would automatically be assumed that "bigger is better"?

If you put the T/S parameters for the B110 (SP1003) into a calculator, for a Q of 0.707 you get a box volume of 5.63 litres which isn't far off an LS3/5a volume.
However, the size of the crossover and the back of the B110 do intrude into this so would drive up the Q a bit.

I don't know if the LS3/5a has a loose filling inside but that would pull the Q back down slightly.

In simulation, if you up the volume to, say 8 litres, you do lower the resonant frequency by about 10Hz without any large changes in group delay so that could work well.

Given that, I'd certainly like to hear these Falcons.

Simulation below - Ignore the vented box bit.
B110BoxSimulation.jpg

As an aside, the Linn Kan Mk1 has the same B110 and the same volume as LS3/5a, but I don't think many people complain about loose over Q'ed bass.
However, it does have a loose filling and the B110 is front mounted so intrudes less into the internal volume.

What does the ‘silver badge crossover’ signify?

‘Silver badge’ in Falcon-speak is a bog-standard LS3/5A crossover. Exactly the same as any BBC spec licensed 15 Ohm LS3/5A, and the same as in my Falcon LS3/5A. Falcon later made a crazy expensive ‘Kingswood Warren’ limited edition based on the BBC prototype which has a slightly uprated crossover, and they are now using this in their current production LS3/5A. I’m not sure if there is anything electronically different in component values, or whether its just fancier components, but it reputedly sounds a little cleaner and clearer (qualities the original is in no way lacking!).

I’m in two minds about it. I like that my LS3/5As are LS3/5As, nothing more, nothing less. They just are. The Gold Label crossover moves them to something that isn’t an LS3/5A as it is different to what you’d find in a classic Rogers, Spendor, RAM, Audiomaster etc, but may make them ‘better’! I’ll likely keep mine where they are.

This is where ‘The Falcon LS3/5a is exactly the same as the original’ story gets a bit fuzzy.

What do people really want ?

I sold my Falcons ( the same spec. as Tony’s ) to buy Stirling V3s because I preferred them.
Consequently I don’t own LS3/5as in Tony’s eyes.

If I’d have bought ‘Gold Label’ Falcons, would I still have a pair of LS3/5as ?
Presumably, yes.

If I’d have bought ‘Gold Label’ Falcons, would I still have a pair of LS3/5as ?
Presumably, yes.

That’s my point really, and my answer would be ‘no’. To my mind (assuming it was in absolutely perfect condition and still in spec) I should be able to stick a Spendor, Rogers or Audiomaster 15 Ohm LS3/5A on my right speaker stand and one of my Falcons on the left and not be able to tell them apart. The whole point of an LS3/5A is it is a very tightly defined monitor speaker. Any one is pair-matched with any other one. They are all the same. If the ‘Gold Label’ crossover changes the sound we move outside this specification.

The Stirlings are no more an LS3/5A than say a Harbeth P3ESR or ProAc Tablette 10. They are just a nice speaker of the same box size, and if you prefer them then I have zero issue with that. It just irks me when speakers are marketed as things they clearly aren’t and can’t possibly be.

Thanks, Tony.
I do like your input on this continuing debate.

Perhaps my last sentence should have read:
‘Presumably, yes, as it has LS3/5a on the cabinets.’

advertisement

Back