advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... X

Status
Not open for further replies.
It formed part of the campaign, I agree. But the key point is how much did it directly drive someone to vote leave.
I can see why fishing is important to support local communities, but I don't remember it being a priority for any political party during the 90s/00s.

All I can say is it didn't really interest me. Steve, are you saying you wanted to Remain because of fishing (being a big factor)?

No, I wanted to remain because Brexit offered nothing but reduced wealth and opportunity for the majority and grift opportunities at the expense of the country for those behind it.

The fishermen were used like so many others and I certainly saw no benefit in them effectively trashing their own crucial market - can you?

Why would they feature in a schematic about the facilitation of frictionless trade and movement of people in Europe when they are not parties to such agreements?

Tell me, Mike, does the facilitation of (reasonably) frictionless trade require zero effective democracy, 7 presidents and all the accoutrements of an empire?

Swap England for the EU and have a look in same.

There is no comparison. Forgive me the generalisation, but I love Europe.

Would you mind pointing out the post?
Sorry, I was unclear.

There has to be some talk now, about how we build a plan to replace what we lose from being outside the EU.
That's just my view, but you may believe that the plan has to be to return back to what we had with the EU.

I can understand the logic, but is that your view?

The fishermen were used like so many others and I certainly saw no benefit in them effectively trashing their own crucial market - can you?

I'd widen that. I'd say that voters are used, not just fishermen. That's based on nothing more but a cynicism of politics based on experience.

Taking it back to the EU, there is absolutely no doubt that the Fishing and Agricultural policy was absolutely core to certain core members. The French and Spanish have previously fought off attempts to reduce subsidies in this area. Nobody can argue that something like Fishing is not part of their EU plan.

I never got that feeling with the UK. The biggest driver when the EU expanded for us was the expansion of the labour market. I guess fishermen are entitled to think they are a bit of a forgotten entity.

By my calculation it would take me a little over 4 years. I doubt I've got that long left.
Let’s make it a bit easier for you- by citing any criticism I’ve made that hasn’t already been made by English forum members posting on the subject of Brexit or the U.K. government.

Fishing was a marginal topic for most people during the referendum campaign.

I doubt it influenced the vote of more than a tiny minority of the voters. There was a lot more chatter about how we would lose access to cheap agricultural land workers.

My post was more about the desperation of the Brexit Government in having to make up Brexit 'positives'.

They are like that kid at school who pretended his Dad was a WW2 fighter pilot and had holidayed in the Hindu Kush during the summer hols, when in fact the former was a drunk and the latter a wet week in Widnes.

Stephen

Now coming from you, that is quite something. You really need to take a long, hard look in the mirror. Every single post you make is bursting with your loathing of England, and of your drooling lust to see it fail. You're not just overt, you are actually proud of it.
Does he? Proof please. Put up or shut up.

Sorry, I was unclear.

There has to be some talk now, about how we build a plan to replace what we lose from being outside the EU.
That's just my view, but you may believe that the plan has to be to return back to what we had with the EU.

I can understand the logic, but is that your view?
Rejoin asap. We are in a shitshow run by incompetents.

My post was more about the desperation of the Brexit Government in having to make up Brexit 'positives'.
Are there 'positives' we can all agree on?

I'm not sure. I don't think we have had a plan for the UK for some time. The tech giants/global corps set the agenda now.

Rejoin asap. We are in a shitshow run by incompetents.
Do you not think our political posturing since the vote has been driven by that trait known as 'pride' ?

I do. I can't really explain Theresa May's early posturing in her short(ish) tenure.

They would have to swallow a lot of pride to do what you suggest. Not just Tories. The majority signed off on A50.
Rejoining is tacit acceptance that they didn't understand what they were initiating.

Let’s make it a bit easier for you- by citing any criticism I’ve made that hasn’t already been made by English forum members posting on the subject of Brexit or the U.K. government.

Oh, there's plenty of criticism from all corners, but yours is unique in its seething hatred. You desperately want it to fail, directly in the face of the majorities in England and Wales, and the not insignificant minorities in NI & Scotland. And your sneering contempt for those who voted to leave colours virtually your every utterance on the brexit threads.

If you can think of any positives at all, try me. I've just seen 4 years of an incompetent truck driver with his feet jammed on the pedals, his hands immobile on the wheel and a cry of "Oh shiiiiii....it" as the thing slides along and he waits for the inevitable. Well, it's happened. It looks like an unmitigated disaster to me, but 17 million people voted for it, so there must be something worthwhile. Or was it just EV's "out at any cost" philosophy?

Now coming from you, that is quite something. You really need to take a long, hard look in the mirror. Every single post you make is bursting with your loathing of England, and of your drooling lust to see it fail. You're not just overt, you are actually proud of it.

You really take the definition of hypocrisy to a new level.
Hmmm....this one doesn't float, ET.
I'm english by most of my birth, live in Wales, hate and despise the current government, and those who voted them in I rate somewhere between despicable and to be pitied - england and Wales or indeed the entire for-now-UK.
I believe quite a lot in each nation didn't vote for the tories?
Good luck to Scotland with a referendum - what they have experienced with brexit is an insult and an affront. You don't treat anyone you care about like that.
As I've said before, I'd far rather, as it is an english project with english support, that england left the UK. The countries with a celtic heritage would do very well united without the boorish millstone attached. Damage limitation. Even if brexit turns out better than expected, with the track record of the last few years england now cannot be trusted politically - honesty or competence - in the future.

4 million posts on this thread say no.

But there are, palpably, a lot of negatives we could agree on.

Unless one thinks that, say, destroying the UK Touring industry, pushing up import prices from the EU, erecting barriers to businesses exporting to the EU, losing opportunities for student exchanges, it being harder for researchers to bring families over to the UK and £1trillion of financial business being moved to the EU (for example) are not negative outcomes.

Stephen

Oh, there's plenty of criticism from all corners, but yours is unique in its seething hatred. You desperately want it to fail, directly in the face of the majorities in England and Wales, and the not insignificant minorities in NI & Scotland. And your sneering contempt for those who voted to leave colours virtually your every utterance on the brexit threads.
And your sneering contempt for the EU colours virtually your every utterance on the brexit threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back