advertisement

Best Rock Singers

Mike Patton is a good call as is Sammy Hagar.

I'll add Eddie Vedder, Steve Hogarth, Mark Lanegan, Axl Rose, James Hetfield and none of us have mentioned Bruce Dickinson!!

Last edited:
Steve Marriott, surely got to be up there.
A few grunge band singers as has been mentioned - Eddie Vedder, Layne Staley from Alice in Chains etc.
Lemmy is pretty unique, at least. Maybe even Axl Rose deserves a mention, though not really my thing.

Kurt Cobain must be in there somewhere?

Personally Frank Black would in the running too, but Robert Plant would have to take the top spot.

Iggy Pop is clearly the correct answer, plus Mark E Smith as UK representative.

Point of order - amazing as The Fall were, Mark E Smith will be sssssspining in his grave at thought of being described as rock, or possibly even a sssssinger for that matter!

Actually a couple more spring to mind:

Mike Harrison (Spooky Tooth) and Chris Thompson (Manfred Mann's Earthband) - both had soul.

He may be a master of soul and R&B, but classifying Michael McDonald as a rock singer is a bit of a stretch!

It depends what one thinks of as ‘rock.’

I wouldn’t class him as a soul or R&B singer.

Do you really think of Steely Dan or Doobie Brothers as Soul or R&B???

It depends what one thinks of as ‘rock.’

I wouldn’t class him as a soul or R&B singer.

Do you really think of Steely Dan or Doobie Brothers as Soul or R&B???
IMO Doobie Brothers were overtly southern rock in the Johnston-era and became more soul/R&B-orientated when McDonald stepped in. A Michael McDonald solo concert definitely has a strong soulful vibe. Steely Dan are a genre unto themselves but the nearest category would probably be Smooth Jazz or Jazz Rock.

EDIT - Wikipedia lists McDonald as "blue-eyed soul, R&B, pop, and rock", I guess that covers it all!

advertisement

Back