advertisement

Whisky

Status
Not open for further replies.
It certainly makes the £800-1000 for a bottle of the 40 year old Glenfarclas look like a relative bargain.

I bought mine from George Grant of Glenfarclas at the Soho Whisky Club one night. It was £300 so couldn’t refuse. Shame he didn’t have more!

This is good stuff as well...

Tasting report on Aldi Highland Black: it's very good. Not overoaked, plenty of peat and a bit of liquorice in there. Reminds me of Grouse Black and some of the west coast malts. 8years old and proper 40%, not the usual 37.5 watered down piss. Recommended.

I was about to take your recco and try a bottle- then I noticed your "bit of liquorice" - which puts me off, mightily.

I have recently finished my first bottle of scots in many moons- LIDL's Queen Margot 8 yr. I say it was v. smooth and delightful- seems (from memory) to have outclassed most blends I tried decades ago.

Still, I'll eventually try ALDI's Highland Black 8 yr.

I was about to take your recco and try a bottle- then I noticed your "bit of liquorice" - which puts me off, mightily.

I have recently finished my first bottle of scots in many moons- LIDL's Queen Margot 8 yr. I say it was v. smooth and delightful- seems (from memory) to have outclassed most blends I tried decades ago.

Still, I'll eventually try ALDI's Highland Black 8 yr.
You should give it a try. It's not at all expensive, at the price you could put it in coffee. The Lidl is OK but doesn't taste of very much.

I bought mine from George Grant of Glenfarclas at the Soho Whisky Club one night. It was £300 so couldn’t refuse. Shame he didn’t have more!

This is good stuff as well...

Glenturret distillery is on my list to visit when we can do such things again. You can overnight with your motorhome in their car-park so the plan is to do that and include a distillery visit along with climbing a Munro (Ben Chonzie, which my wife and I have climbed many years back but our dog hasn't) which can also be done from their. I don't think I've even tried one of their whisky's yet though.

Tonight tipple is a bourbon - 1792 small batch - which is very nice as well as being pretty cheap.

Bought this today for my Dad's 70th, which is in a few weeks...

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/edradour/edradour-21-year-old-1995-oloroso-cask-finish-whisky/

His joint 70th (twins with my Uncle) is in 2nd week of Feb & for the 1st time in 10 years we can't get to their house in Dunkeld :(

Can't even get together, but it's something he'll enjoy (and stick right at the back of his cupboard no doubt haha) :D

My bother and I were getting him a full 2 days Land Rover trail experience from a base in Dunkeld, but for now that's on gold unfortunately...

I'll hopefully update on how it tastes in 4 weeks ;)

pondering a bottle of Port Charlotte MRC 01 10 year old, just hoping it hasn't got too much sweetness on the palate
No, it hasn’t :)

I have a bottle, and I’m not a fan of sweeter drams like the various Madeira finishes, and I rather like it. That said, I’ve also recently purchased a bottle of Ardbeg Corryvreckan, and I think I prefer that (though haven’t tasted them together yet).

pondering a bottle of Port Charlotte MRC 01 10 year old, just hoping it hasn't got too much sweetness on the palate

It hasn't sweetness like a sherried whisky at all; so you'll be fine.

It's quite a dry finish, but superb nose to it and a long, complicated aftertaste :D

It's worth buying ;)

It hasn't sweetness like a sherried whisky at all; so you'll be fine.

It's quite a dry finish, but superb nose to it and a long, complicated aftertaste :D

It's worth buying ;)

now I need to find somewhere with stock, I am sure MoM had some but can't see it now

Clynelish 14 last night. Perfectly nice but still struggling to see what all the fuss is about. May be too subtle for me.

It's available on Amazon at c£90; but I personally wouldn't pay that. It's good, but it's not that good... Much better bottles at that price range

yes I saw that and I agree. The distillery have some at that price as well. Might just try a bottle of Corryvreckan instead

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back