advertisement

sad day for coatbridge tannoy factory

The Fyne Audio stuff just looks naff...

I'm guessing there are a few things at work there. Firstly I think those speakers have a form following the function rather than being made to look that way just so they look cool/odd. Lots of hi-end speakers are not flat sided boxes and probably for this reason.

They'd look crazy in my house but I imagine the kind of person who's in the market for speakers of that price probably has a house they'll look at home in. Fyne's lower priced speakers are more conventional looking. I think these guys know what they're doing.

I've seen a few of the mid priced Fyne speakers up close and even of those the build quality is superb and quality control is tight. I saw a pair of speakers that were rejected because of a blemish in the cabinet I could hardly see even when I'd been told where it was!

Fyne also deep cryogenically freeze their crossovers on some models so they really do know the market well.

The whole UK is going to be well and truly fuccekd after 31st December anyway, so it really makes no odds in the long run. Any form of Scottish self determination would be preferrable to the shitstorm that is the present Westminster Government.

More doom and gloom from the remoaners. Maybe the change in direction will be a boost for the UK after the obvious initial disruption. After all, being in the EU hasn't served our manufacturers that well has it!

Here endeth the lesson. Back to Tannoy.

Yeah, it's in their pages on the higher-up stuff.

So foo comes with the new name. Bet the designers are rolling their eyes at the marketeers.

Chatted with a representative from Fyne last year or the year before, at Munich show, -he admitted only reason for doing biwire plugs is market demands.
Unlike Proac they do offer singlewire by special order.

I think one would be curious where the factory has gone to and when.

I'm not going to post on this idiot thread again.

Tannoy was bought by a greedy multinational who just wanted the name, because that's what these pricks do. The people designing and building speakers with the name Tannoy on them today have little to zero connection with UK Tannoy based in Coatbridge.

The factory has not moved, it is gone. The physical content of the building were sold at auction and the people dispersed. Most of the top guys at Tannoy got together and started Fyne Audio, which is still based in Coatbridge.

Last thing I'm going to say.

ah so Fyne is based in Coatbridge still that is a huge plus I know they will outsource the bread and butter but hope there still remains some skilled workers there

I'm not going to post on this idiot thread again.

Tannoy was bought by a greedy multinational who just wanted the name, because that's what these pricks do. The people designing and building speakers with the name Tannoy on them today have little to zero connection with UK Tannoy based in Coatbridge.

The factory has not moved, it is gone. The physical content of the building were sold at auction and the people dispersed. Most of the top guys at Tannoy got together and started Fyne Audio, which is still based in Coatbridge.

Last thing I'm going to say.

interesting, where does that leave a buyer with 5 year warranties on their legacy range, I’m thinking of making a substantial purchase?

interesting, where does that leave a buyer with 5 year warranties on their legacy range, I’m thinking of making a substantial purchase?
I am sure the dealer will honour it , not that I am worried , they are still selling 50 plus old tannoy units so I wouldn't worry too much

I’m still amazed we don’t have a definitive answer as to the place of manufacture for current and future models.

Has any product appeared in dealers yet that doesn’t have “Made in the UK” on the front adjustment plate. Back in the day did Tannoy not have a hanging card with a British flag on it or small I thinking of another manufacturer?

advertisement

Back