advertisement

<Groan> cables again

All,

Thanks for all the inputs, I love this place :)

To answer the techie bit first, its 100R into 47k so my limited knowledge suggests this should be fine?

Craig, thanks for the diagram on use of StarQuad into phono, but I'm XLR throughout. On which basis, if I decide to DIY this, am I better to add a separate Raybraid screen on top of the "normal" cable types to allow screen as well as signal ground, or just not bother? The run I have identified crosses one 240V line (at right angles) and is otherwise 24" clear of power and aerials so can't see noise being a problem to be honest, and I'm more tempted to speak to a good, non-foo manufacturer like Blue Jeans Cable.

Oh, and Stevec67? At only £20/m I'm tempted, I mean it can't do any harm right? But then, it sounds a bit cheap to do anything useful so I'll pass

Al
Nice pun!

With 3-pin XLR to 3-pin XLR and proper 2-core plus screen microphone cable, there exists a dedicated shield connected both ends, plus two independent same spec wire leads within for signal +ve and -ve.

Those who recommend adding a separate screen on top are likely thinking of 1-core plus screen cable, which commons signal -ve with screen.

I'd go with 2-core plus screen only, myself.

Pin 1 is shield, 2 is signal +ve, and 3 is signal -ve:

connection_balanced_xlr.jpg

Last edited:
Yes 100 Ohm source and 47k load should be fine with pretty much any sensible interconnect. (I felt I had to put the qualifier "sensible" in their given some of the really weird cables I've seen on occasion! 8-])

@Craig B many thanks for the additional details. I was under the understanding (possibly incorrectly) that pin 1 was used for the signal earth, but a separate chassis earth was maintained by the connector shell, hence my question over a separate shield. Happy to ignore this if it's not valid or construction means that signal and chassis earth are effectively the same.

Thanks, Al

@Craig B many thanks for the additional details. I was under the understanding (possibly incorrectly) that pin 1 was used for the signal earth, but a separate chassis earth was maintained by the connector shell, hence my question over a separate shield. Happy to ignore this if it's not valid or construction means that signal and chassis earth are effectively the same.

Thanks, Al
You're welcome, Al.

The socket connection methods typically come down to whether a given component combines two channels on one 3-pin XLR socket, vs two XLR sockets, one for each channel.

For example, I've an old Linn LK1 pre here that has two 3-pin XLR output sockets, however, they are both wired for stereo connection with pin 2 as Lch, 3 as Rch, and 1 as 0V. Linn's corresponding LK2/LK275/LK280 amplifiers have single 3-pin XLR sockets for each channel with pin 2 labelled NC on the Rch and pin 3 as NC on the Lch. Therefore, one either uses two standard wired (but for being female both ends) XLR to XLR cables between LK1 and LK2/etc (as supplied by Linn), or a custom 1 x XLR to 2 x XLR 'Y' cable (with pairs of the latter being used for passive bi-amplification with two LK amps). Either way, signal -ve is passed via the shield of the cable, ignoring a major benefit of using 3-pin XLR in the first place, i.e. the possibility of having a properly shielded balanced connection.

WRT using the dedicated plug shell earth tag, I suspect that one runs a greater chance of creating a ground loop than one does of reducing susceptibility to additional noise pickup. Best to consult one's equipment manuals here.

HTHs,

Craig

h55461-2-55461b.jpg

Last edited:

advertisement

Back