Amp for Focal Spectral 913.1

stony

pfm Member
What I found so far recommended amps for Focal speakers are as follow :

1. Belles, in particular the Belles Aria
2. Lavardin
3. Albarry
4. Exposure 3010s2

Should I take something else into consideration ?

Thanks guys.

P.S. I have got a strange feeling about "memory distortion" feature they are talking about.
Isn't just an amp working in A class ?

Focal & Naim synergy: not always when I heard that combination.

Focal, a bit like early Triangle (which I used to own) can have a rep for fierce top end. I certainly understand why, but in both cases a suitably high quality, preferably class A amplifier completely sorts it, at least in my limited experience.

I am afraid I haven't heard any combination from the OP, but based on recent experiences through work I might well discount the Lavardin. Previously I heard the Exposure and the Albarry and love them both, but not sure with Focal.

Almost forgot...

What about Yamaha a-s2100 ?
Few months ago I was really impressed with it but I was not thinking about getting a new amp at this time so I did not bother to test it with Focals.

What about Naim?
They are the same company after all and there ought to be a synergy?

no focal and naim were completely separate companies , then naim bought focal . utterly different in my opinion . i havnt heard a naim focal combo i like yet !!!! Belles is a superb brand , tony at coherant was the foremost seller of focal until he took on cabasse [ another french make] he sold and still sells belles . lovely lovely amps . well made . i had their belles mb200 monoblocks and their VT-o1 pre was one of the best pre amps i have heard . I would have one but like all these amps they often have lousy remotes !!!

I do know someone with a lavardin IS ref who may sell after this lockdown, no remote of course

Not a fan of Naim, and Focal just reminds me why not, as a rule. YMMV obvs. Albarry and Lavardin for me, every time. Could be tempted by a nice IS Ref if the price is right ;). Had one here for a bit, on loan, loved it.would make a fab heart of a second system

Can’t say I agree with any amp will do with Focals.
Haven’t heard this model but all the others I have heard across their range certainly require amps on the warm relaxed side IMO.
Very dry sounding generally and rather tiresome eventually.
I have to say I know this is a common opinion, but IME it’s often a matter of ‘don’t shoot the messenger’. Focals can be a bit ruthless in exposing flaws upstream, and any harshness is often attributable to something in the source, or an amplifier under stress for some reason or other. For years I used Focal with Albarry amps, which are absolutely not ‘on the warm relaxed side’ and it was a fabulously musical combination.

I have to say I know this is a common opinion, but IME it’s often a matter of ‘don’t shoot the messenger’. Focals can be a bit ruthless in exposing flaws upstream, and any harshness is often attributable to something in the source, or an amplifier under stress for some reason or other. For years I used Focal with Albarry amps, which are absolutely not ‘on the warm relaxed side’ and it was a fabulously musical combination.
Deleted

Last edited:
I once had some focal 1028be with Tom Evans vibe and some belles amps. It was a superb combo , really enjoyed it

But not to long ago I heard a kanta 3 with a naim supernait 2 and it was like being flown over by Concorde....exhilarating but not for more than 5 mins !!!!!!

I have been offered an almost new Lavardin ISx, 10 months of warranty left and older Lavardin IT from 2013. First one is £1400, second one £1800.

What's a difference between them ?

wow ... I would DEFO take the ISx , much younger model and has a REMOTE !!! its pretty hard shifting amps without a remote sometimes . that is a brilliant price imho especially with a warrenty. it will sound awesome with the focal . I had a ref is here not too long ago

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back