advertisement

What goes where in the rack

To me, this is a bit like the “are speaker cables directional” question.
I don’t know the true answer to this, but if there is a way the manufacturers recommend they run, why not go with it. It’s just as easy to do either way.
The OP has invested a considerable sum in a high quality system, it’s worth setting it up as per Naims guidelines & the Naim forum, or equally a good Naim dealer would give the best answer.

To me, this is a bit like the “are speaker cables directional” question.
It's not though, because there is some physics in there. If you run a signal cable near a transformer etc it picks up the EMI/ENF. This is a known and measurable event. Getting the cables away from this is a good idea. There's no magic here, it's only like turning off the hifi before you spark up the welder.

The OP has invested a considerable sum in a high quality system, it’s worth setting it up as per Naims guidelines & the Naim forum, or equally a good Naim dealer would give the best answer.
This bit is good advice.

Thanks again for all your responses

I’m going to look at the naim forum this evening

I was having a look on here at system pics last night and I think this could be time well spent, if I can find racks or cabinets that others have used that would be a good start.

For best results, syringe your ears and have a couple of glasses of red wine. You could spend the rest of your life studying this topic on the naim forum. When I had a multi box Naim rig, I found it best when the pre (252) was on a top shelf and PS’s as far away as possible. The NAPSC should go as far away from everything as the cable will allow (what I found when running one with a 202).

Thanks again for all your responses

I’m going to look at the naim forum this evening

I was having a look on here at system pics last night and I think this could be time well spent, if I can find racks or cabinets that others have used that would be a good start.
You will find a lot of system pics on the Naim forum too. Very few people with relatively expensive Naim systems like yours use cabinets of any type. The Naim Fraim is highly rated, but also very expensive. There are many others by makers such as Quadraspire, HiFi Racks and Isoblue. None are cheap but they do provide a significant improvement in sound quality compared with cupboards, cabinets, tables, etc which are not designed for HiFi system support. Of course, you should also find out what dealers recommend.

advertisement

Back