advertisement

What goes where in the rack

livingthedream

pfm Member
Apologies if I’ve put this in the wrong place

I need a bit of support with what goes where in a rack, I’ve got a naim system consisting of Ndx2, 555ps, 282/napsc, supercap and 300.

Ideally to keep the other half happier I’d like it in one rack.

Not sure it really matters, so put it to be the most practical for you. Source normally near the top but that’s just for ease of loading. If there’s no physical media to load, won’t really matter. Power amps at the bottom, usually because they’re the heaviest so it aids stability, also means speaker cables aren’t in the way of mains and interconnects, but this is all down to practicality, not sound. Just make sure there’s adequate ventilation around anything that gets warm and you’re golden. Cable tidiness/dressing might make some combinations more practical than others and that’d be my primary reason for one config over another.

From top to bottom, I would go
NDX2 on top,
A gap
Scap
555ps
The NAPSC can go anywhere convenient, even on the floor beneath the rack. It is only responsible for powering the lights & bits & bobs of the 282.
My reasoning for this order is Naims “keeping the brawn & the brain apart” hence why the heavy power supply stuff is towards the bottom of the rack. If nothing else, it keeps it stable as the physical weighty stuff is lower down.
If you turned the whole order upside down would you likely hear a big difference? I kinda doubt it, but you’ve gotta start somewhere & it might as well be with the heavy stuff low down.

NDX2
empty shelf
Supercap
300PS
555PS

or even better with two racks, first three left side, PS`s on the right side

Some will say to focus on technical factors (e.g. power amps at bottom, separate digital from power etc).
Some will say go for ergonomics (e.g. reduce the knee bending).
Some will say go for aesthetics (e.g. let SWMBO decide).
Some will say try it in one way, then swap around to see if it sounds better (e.g. time consuming)
Some will say don't worry about it...;)

Thanks for all the responses

Not sure I could live with an empty shelf in the middle, would it make a difference?

Also what do you mean by cable dressing?

I'm a little surprised you are not posting this on the Naim forum itself.

The gap splits the non transformer item away from the noisy transformer items eg power supplies.

Ideally two lower level racks would be best, as otherwise a single rack would be pretty high and get a bit wobbly.

Some Naim cables suffer from signal interference, so things like Burndys should hang loose and not touch other cables. Same with interconnects like Hiline or Super Lumina.

In general mains leads should be kept away from speaker cables and interconnects.

Easier said than done and if you can be bothered in the first place.

With that level of Naim gear though, attention to detail could be worth it.

Cable dressing - trying to keep the cables neat and tidy; power cables grouped together as far away from signal cables as possible.

If wife-friendlty (i.e. visual aesthetics) is essential you need something with doors for all those feature-less boxes with the just the 282 and NDX visible on top... or even better, a remote-control repeater system and all boxes behind doors.

Don't ask me which one - I have a wife who tolerates all the hifi visible.

A friend who, as a dealer, is sick and tired of seeing the boxes on open racks (reminds him too much of work) has a very similar system to mine inside something from IKEA with Nordost Sort cones under the boxes and a few holes cut out of the back panel for ventilation.

I could probably fit two racks in but I’m not sure it would warrant the hassle or grief I’d get, behind doors would be easier but then I do like to see the system. I’m tempted to try and find a rack/unit which would house them but appeal to the Mrs. If anyone’s got any suggestions I’d appreciate it.

Ill have to have a look at cable dressing because I know the cables are all over.

Cable dressing is a nightmare with naim as the burndys are really stiff. Do you still need the napsc with a Supercap? Try & keep the source components as far as possible from the power supplies.

Good luck

Apologies if I’ve put this in the wrong place

I need a bit of support with what goes where in a rack, I’ve got a naim system consisting of Ndx2, 555ps, 282/napsc, supercap and 300.

Ideally to keep the other half happier I’d like it in one rack.

Don't tell her a Nova exist

I had a nova then 272/250 and all was well

I also have a RP10, Superline and supercap which are boxed up at the moment and I daren’t get them out yet!

I believe I still need the napsc for the controls on the 282

Yes Napsc is essential on 282.

It's a silly little box but serves its purpose.

I took over the front room as well with my two rack Naim set up, large speakers etc.

The large tears in the carpet caused by spikes were the hardest thing to explain though. That was 15 years ago and I'm still trying to explain.

As suggested above, the best place to look for detailed information on this is the Naim community forum. There are many threads there that deal with stacking order, racks, cable dressing, etc. Some may be seen as excessively pedantic but you’ll soon find what the consensus is and then you can decide what’s best for you. I used to have a system like yours on a single Isoblue rack, with the ‘brawn’ at the bottom, and somewhat untidy cable dressing. It worked for me, not least because I didn’t have the space or money for two Fraim stacks.

I also have a RP10, Superline and supercap which are boxed up at the moment and I daren’t get them out yet!

Nice!

This news also makes a recommendation easier: you won't be able accommodate all this gear in one stack -though you should plan for this eventuality- so you'll need to look at a side-by-side arrangement. Ikea could be a good place to look for something suitable.

Get a cabinet with doors. I arranged this for my parents, it all went in the bottom of a china cabinet. Very neat, all happy.

As you seem to have signed up to the philosophy of buying power supplies in separate boxes to supply power to power supplies In other separate boxes, I suggest you buy 2 cabinets. Perhaps you can buy a cabinet to store cabinets, who knows?

advertisement

Back