advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... IX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep an eye on the news, as Erdogan gets back into favour.

It's not even remotely a possibility for the reasons you continue to ignore. Still your only type of reply, distraction.

By the way, why not just admit your motivations instead of trying to present them as something more wholesome? No need to be so shy, you are among friends here, well a couple anyway.

But surely you must recognise that for a lot of people who voted Leave, especially for the 'left behinds', they were voting for a better future for themselves based on more 'opportunities' that wouldn't be filled by immigrants. Whereas what you're suggesting is that, rather than address the skills gap by improving the local skills base, we continue to import it. Are we incapable of producing graduates capable of research into Graphene, and so-on?

Don't misunderstand, I'd like to extend a hand to the Hong Kong people who have been screwed over by the Chinese and abandoned by the UK, and I'm sure they have a lot to offer and we'd be the better for it. I just don't see it playing at all well with those that 'Breaking Point' poster was aimed at.

I'd love it if we could achieve everything with home grown talent. In reality, I suspect we can't.

There will be a massive problem with 'left behinds' and it extends well beyond Brexit. That's for the political class to deal with. It's why we pay them.

There is no status quo, just different forms of change.

Look at the EU of today, and compare it with the EU as it was just 2 decades ago. It's changed significantly.
So why should we imagine it won't look different in 2 decades time?

It sounds equally disingenuous as the New World Utopia pumped out by the Hard Leave campaigners.
You can drag it into the realms of philosophy or semantics if you like, do you ever swim twice in the same river? etc, but honestly what's the point? to all intents and purposes there was remain in the EU ( with all the changes that might entail if you insist) or leave the EU, which we've done.

I think we will be forced to look for labour outside of the EU. I

I wasn't really bothered about what motivated other Brexiters. After all, who am I to judge their own personal circumstance?
I favour migration based on what skills we need at the time. I think we will find no shortage of good quality people from the displaced Hong Kong citizens, if they are allowed to leave.
Do you favour UK citizens, of whatever skill set and background, having the freedom to seek employment or to study abroad or are you just concerned with incoming labour?

You can drag it into the realms of philosophy or semantics if you like, do you ever swim twice in the same river? etc, but honestly what's the point? to all intents and purposes there was remain in the EU ( with all the changes that might entail if you insist) or leave the EU, which we've done.

More concisely put than I could.

Do you favour UK citizens, of whatever skill set and background, having the freedom to seek employment or to study abroad or are you just concerned with incoming labour?
Kabayiri has previously explained that he saw a business opportunity in Brexit, as he is in a position to assist people immigrating from outside the EU.

Totally ignores the fact that skilled labour is very often not the type that is required and when it is, your message is that better jobs are not for the locals. It also supposes that governments will invest in training and education that will cost them, but benefit future administrations - good luck with that.

One of the benefits of EU funded development was getting the local political short termism out of the equation. Yes you can argue that it's our money coming back - but that is to miss the point. The advantage was the commitment to invest longer term without as much threat of derailing or diversion by local politicians.
My message is that better jobs are for the locals. Go on Steve you can apply your negative spin on that side of the argument no doubt.

My message is that better jobs are for the locals. Go on Steve you can apply your negative spin on that side of the argument no doubt.

Oh really, and I've just explained why the politicians you favour are not remotely interested in doing that. The proof being that they have always been able to. The only change will be the source of the labour. Sorry to disappoint, perhaps you should write to Nigel and ask for your donation/subs back.

Being honest, I really don't.

Maybe it comes from too long a spell working for a large global company. That becomes your new tribe, as it were. If their recruitment policy changed (and it did at certain times) then you went with the policy. It's never presented as an option.

Should the likes of Amazon favour USA workers because they are ostensibly an American company? I'm not sure.

The DUP are seething, ‘Project Fear’ turned out to be real- the food shortages have started and Mr. Paisley isn’t happy,

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/...-safeguarding-measure-if-needed-39965149.html
During a later urgent question on the issue, Mr Paisley told the Commons: “What did we do? What did we do to members on those benches over there to be screwed over by this protocol?

“Ask your hearts, every single one, what did we do? Because what has happened to this protocol – it has ruined trade in Northern Ireland and it is an insult to our intelligence to say it is a teething problem. Tell that to my constituents.”

The DUP are seething, ‘Project Fear’ turned out to be real- the food shortages have started and Mr. Paisley isn’t happy,

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/...-safeguarding-measure-if-needed-39965149.html
During a later urgent question on the issue, Mr Paisley told the Commons: “What did we do? What did we do to members on those benches over there to be screwed over by this protocol?

“Ask your hearts, every single one, what did we do? Because what has happened to this protocol – it has ruined trade in Northern Ireland and it is an insult to our intelligence to say it is a teething problem. Tell that to my constituents.”

Those cheques from Mrs May, a distant memory. How ungrateful.

Reactions: PsB
Kabayiri has previously explained that he saw a business opportunity in Brexit, as he is in a position to assist people immigrating from outside the EU.
Hmm, on a personal level, I rather think covid has changed that dynamic. Hard to gauge, right now.

Business has been importing non-EU labour for a long time. I don't think that can be blamed on 'little me'.

Hmm, on a personal level, I rather think covid has changed that dynamic. Hard to gauge, right now.

Business has been importing non-EU labour for a long time. I don't think that can be blamed on 'little me'.
I'm not blaming you. You voted in your own interests. I'd be interested to know whether you took any heed of the 'project fear' arguments at the time, though?

Ah OK, so your analysis of Brexit was an opportunity to take out competition, bit like wine merchants.

Reminded me of another post “I’ve got no problem with the xxxx, worked along side them, played pool with them but what about all that funny stuff they eat”.

I've certainly got no problem with Icelanders, but have you seen that shit they eat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back