advertisement

Audio Kit In Peloton Ad?

People pay money for push-knackers? Most of mine came out of skips, Granda used to fix em up, make new brake pads out of wood and all sorts! My current one I rescued from a neighbour before it went to the tip, Raleigh of some description, I think alloy of some sort, too light for steel. It's pretty nice, but I suspect the front suspension needs something doing with it, feels a bit vague...:rolleyes:

Raleigh frameset from the local bike recycling centre, £10. Another £15 to the man in the indoor market to remove the cottered chainset that I simply could not shift. Assortment of parts from the shed and hey presto, a decent turbo bike with a straight-through block and tri-bars for Mrs me, who doesn't go out if there is a chance of ice. It's done a fair few sessions in the kitchen now... I've even been on it myself a couple of times (and turbo training is not my cup of tea these days).

If you're reading this, Mr Johnson: it's yours for a thousand quid :)

If it keeps people fit then it's probably a good alternative to a gym membership (especially for the time being). However, if I had a £2k budget for a piece of exercise equipment the only thing I would have eyes for is one of these:

OI8A3749.jpg

Ooh la la!
£2k used? Not in the UK unless it's been under a bus. £4k to 6k new, depending on what's screwed to it. I'd very much like to get one at that kind of price, suspect I'm not alone.

People pay money for push-knackers? Most of mine came out of skips, Granda used to fix em up, make new brake pads out of wood and all sorts! My current one I rescued from a neighbour before it went to the tip, Raleigh of some description, I think alloy of some sort, too light for steel. It's pretty nice, but I suspect the front suspension needs something doing with it, feels a bit vague...:rolleyes:
You should try a working one for modest money and use the junkers for parts, the ride will be transformed. I've been lucky now and again with gift bikes, but most need a few quid spending unless you have a shedful of spares.

£2k used? Not in the UK unless it's been under a bus. £4k to 6k new, depending on what's screwed to it. I'd very much like to get one at that kind of price, suspect I'm not alone.
Well, my Heckler was $2500 new in 2015, but that was when they still made them in aluminum. Now the lowest spec FS appears to be $3500, so yeah, they've gone up. But I have seen them come up on Wallapop in Valencia for decent prices used. Of course SC are relatively rare here. I see 100 Specialized and Trek for every SC...

Well, my Heckler was $2500 new in 2015, but that was when they still made them in aluminum. Now the lowest spec FS appears to be $3500, so yeah, they've gone up. But I have seen them come up on Wallapop in Valencia for decent prices used. Of course SC are relatively rare here. I see 100 Specialized and Trek for every SC...
Same here. SC is a boutique brand. They had a subsidiary brand, Rock Lobster. I fancied one of them a few years back but there's only one UK dealer, they are like rocking horse droppings and when they pop up for sale they are overpriced. You look at what you are getting that's different, bear in mind the routine change parts and say "nah, not really".

If it keeps people fit then it's probably a good alternative to a gym membership (especially for the time being). However, if I had a £2k budget for a piece of exercise equipment the only thing I would have eyes for is one of these:

OI8A3749.jpg

Ooh la la!

Spending £2k and you still have to pedal? - Not for me Booja ;)

I had a Santa Cruz Heckler back around 2004. I'm still rolling on 26" with an M2 Orange ST4 but spend most of my time on the road these days with a Giant Defy. The Pellaton is my wife's idea but I certainly plan to use it - winter miles for summer smiles :)

6-F150-A2-C-E0-B3-4-AF6-BE81-63278-AC83331.jpg

Are Santa Cruz MBs all the rage now or something?:)
They always have been. It's a premium brand, supplying top quality goods to those who know and are prepared to pay for it. I knew a guy with one 20+ years ago, he'd spent more than the price of a decent car and it was a lovely machine. He was a big lad with a habit of breaking frames, but he couldn't break this one.

Back when I got my heckler it had a big blob of paint in the dropout won the wheel wouldn’t mount. I’d waited months for it so just filed it off.
They always have been. It's a premium brand, supplying top quality goods to those who know and are prepared to pay for it. I knew a guy with one 20+ years ago, he'd spent more than the price of a decent car and it was a lovely machine. He was a big lad with a habit of breaking frames, but he couldn't break this one.

When I lived in the US they didn't cost much more than Trek or Specialized with similar specs. But the quality of the welds (back when aluminum frames were the most common) was really high. And they usually had more competent dealers than a lot of the other brands. But since they're a smaller company I'm guessing they don't have the distribution advantage that bigger builders do.

There are a few dealers in Spain, so while rare I still do see one from time to time.

Next time I head back to the US maybe I'll find one (5010?) and bring it back in a bike case!

Turbo machine aside, I've only bought one bike during Covid - a rather nice Genesis Croix de Fer 725 frame that I built up as a winter/gravel bike and then liked so much that I rode it through most of the summer.

I have fallen in love with another, though - made in Colombia,it has the most wonderful paint job I've ever seen:

https://www.scarabcycles.com/journal/chiva

...but I don't need a third gravel bike, and I don't believe in hanging bicycles on the wall as works of art...

am a fat git so hybrids as close as i get too fat for a full road bike and off road I prefer a nice smokey 2 stroke haha.

all joking aside my very old hybrid steel frame and cheap 700cc wheels but good conti tyres is still in use very effective for cycle paths etc, basic gearing and simple brakes but more fun than my much more expensive bike with hydraulic discs slick gearing and alloy frame etc.
Must be the ah its old so just use it to destruction attitude on the old bike.

not that i have been out much since the first lockdown have put on way too much weight!

I think this thread was just a clever marketing trick to get people to watch Peloton ads.

Personally, I think the idea of a £2000 stationary bike that you then have to pay £35 a month to use as it was intended is ridiculous.

Any cyclist serious enough to consider spending that sort of money is more likely to stick one of there own bikes on a smart turbo trainer (£200 and up) and use Zwift (£12.99 per month) which maybe means that Peleton is aimed more at the folks that do spin classes - in which case £2K and £35 per month does seem like an awful lot.

A few of the folks I mountain bikes with had Santa Cruz bikes and they were nice bits of kit. The seemed to go through a lot of bearings but I don't recall any other issues (and those bikes were ridden a lot, in all conditions).

advertisement

Back